So Did the Changes to Tumbling make the Tumble spell and potions utterly useless now?

Maxxus Thull

Just thought about it, it's the zergers probably. Probably using it to tumble through things and skipping portions of quests not intended to be skipped. But who knows, I am just speculating.

Col Kurtz

you can definitely tumble to avoid an attack or behind an enemy for free strike... kind of want to be more than 2 dimensional with keyboard movement style and good with your timing

cursedblessedone

Trigger Me Elmo
A big problem I got with the current tumbling system is the first one recharges when i count to thirteen, but the second and third tumble charges taking to the count of 17 each......that's way too long to be functionally useful in combat in DDO especially if doing Reaper content.

ChaoticDrivel

Some of what you're saying here is ironic regarding DDO. Iterative? Yes, of course... but the players' collective memory of major changes across DDO's life is not about iteration. More like "massive changes that break groups of builds that stay broken for many years".

Reactive? Balance changes are reactive, yes. And we've seen many of those. But there are plenty of dead zones in the game's skill trees, and entirely dead trees that stay dead for years.

Undesirable gameplay for a prolonged period of time? Well... yes. That is precisely what shows up. How long were throwers gone from the game after balance changes? How long was Shiradi just... not useful?

This is true. And it's unfortunate that stuff like Archmage and Ninja Spy haven't received their long overdue makeover. So why would we want more of that(stagnation) and not what we got with Tumble?

Within 1 update: they added the much-needed UI elements(which can still be improved), and the possibility for more charges - as well as fixing the slow and clunky animation. I'd say these are positive steps - particularly in contrast to the aforementioned forlorn skill trees. I'm willing to give credit where credit is due. It doesn't mean the work is over. But it's a step(or roll) toward a better place.
I'm not asserting that the previous version was superior. That's a reading comprehension failure, or possibly just a strawman. Take your pick. Here's the quote; feel free to tell me where I asserted that the original system was superior:

The old version was stable, well-understood, and didn't require any design effort. It didn't break the game, either. It would have been quite reasonable to say "We want to fix tumble, so next lamannia will include iteration on tumble" while reverting the heavily-abused experimental version.

Ah. It wasn't clear which iteration of Tumble you wanted reverting to, in your original post. Without specificity - I (not unreasonably) assumed you were referring to the one prior to what we have now i.e the heavily-abused one. I take it, then, you mean Tumble as it existed for several years - before any experimentation?

If so - that is fair. At least until the affected abilities are fixed/supported sufficiently.

Overall, I would say that Tumble is now far more interesting and useful, than it was then. Having said that - I don't want DDO to be Dark Souls. So having a limit on # of charges is necessary. We can already Tumble 5 times + a charge refreshing every 8 seconds, with investment. Or 6 if a Thief Acrobat. That's plenty. There's places where they could add another charge too, such as: Ninja Spy, Swashbuckler, Wolf form, and Shadowdancer, to name a few that could be suitable.
Just putting this out there. In my several years of playing DDO on and off, I have yet to utilize tumble in ANY benefitting way.
All I saw it as was a summersault and backflip show off. This whole tumble update has absolute ZERO impact on my game. If someone was indeed abusing the tumble mechanics in a way that it was not intended, then yes this change was needed. We don't need "Metas" that are a thing if they were a bug or something.
Also, just wondering, other than fall damage, what is anyone actually using the skill for?

From u66 & 67's release notes:

Tumble now grants you defensive benefits during part of the tumble animation. These bonuses only apply if you are actually tumbling - the shuffle half-step will not trigger these bonuses.
  • +95% uncapped Dodge for 1 second in light or no armor, +75% uncapped Dodge for 1 second in medium armor, +50% uncapped Dodge for 1 second in heavy armor.
  • A bonus to Reflex saving throws equal to your Tumble skill for 1 second.
  • Note that these bonuses apply to you from the moment you begin your Tumble, regardless of how long the animation takes to complete.

• There is a new UI element that shows you your Tumble charges! This UI can be hidden in the options menu under "Show Tumble UI." Each green pip represents one tumble charge. The previous tumble visuals on your character have been removed. You can drag the UI element around, and it'll stay where you leave it.
  • Characters now gain 1 Tumble charge when you train the Tumble skill's rank 10 and rank 20. These charges cannot be earned through effects, abilities, or epic level bonuses to the Tumble skill, but only by training the skill from heroic levels.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Just thought about it, []
Yeah, twice. Speak plain or ****.
Can we have an actual discussion about why a CORE SKILL was CHANGED so dramatically? Put to charges? Is this a new direction - please make jump charged next. ROFLMAO Make Mounts cripple when falling 100 feet or whatever, YEAH! lol

TUMBLE NEEDS MORE. KEEP GOING. I should be able to get 8 (K?, 8) charges at CR20. If yer gonna stick to 1.0 sec duration, us tumblers need more charges. Y'know, since we had UNLIMITED before? 1.0 second "buff" duration is a joke.

What's the strategem here? First tumble, umd's already special.. what's next for your craven little minds?

Last edited: