So... the platinum AH is useless?

dur

aka Cybersquirt
On Topic: Tell the folks posting overpriced ingredients at The Auction House (finally) that "plat" is dead/useless.

Jummby

Be interesting to see if what you say is actually true. I've been playing from the start and have never been "plat capped."
I have end game toons. When you play alot at endgame the trash you sell for plat plies up

dur

aka Cybersquirt
I have end game toons. When you play alot at endgame the trash you sell for plat plies up
Well, as a crafter, I buy it when it's sold cheap enough. As a player, I sell "vendor trash." **or Mail it to my crafter.. Hmm.. note to self: Use SE to mail gear.

You saying there's not enough in-game to spend plat on? Since the advent of Astral Shard, call me suprised

Last edited:

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Sarlona has always had maaaaannny people with way too much plat and nothing to do with it. That AH is kinda known for anythng of any value getting bought and posted on the shard exchange. fast! I used to sell things there for unreasonable prices and had them bought out and posted on shard within minutes... shards build good airships after all the plat amenities are paid for. You lose mone on the AH when you don't/do sell. you get your posting fee back on the shard exchange for unsold items, unless they changed that.

Some servers wont bite on a non-buyout post till end of auction. some servers have players with alts that run up prices. bidding wars can get brutal.
I rarely win an auction on Sarlona, other servers its like 25%.
I guess I got used to the selloff of blue-banded items (the icons are framed by a dark blue color) for cheap (at cost), for a bit there.

**fracK - that had to 've been 10 years ago now . . .
and I used to do auctions that way. Now I usually don't have the time.

Speed

Be interesting to see if what you say is actually true. I've been playing from the start and have never been "plat capped."

Platinum cap is only 4,3 mln per character.
Maybe you never reached it, because you did not sell on auction house much?
You can put 50 items with premium account and get multiple more platinum than selling to vendors.
If you are good at trading, so know what to sell and for how much, then you are capped quickly on each character.
I buy things on auction house for 1-2 mln platinum (anything related to crafting - 2 slot blanks, ingredients, augments, tomes and eberron dragonshards for purified fragments) to save astral shards and I still keep getting capped.
I do not think that I am in minority, because my friends are also capped all the time.

Anyway, platinum auction house is still useful for some players, especially crafters and new ones (not enough bank space and collected best items).
Astral shard exchange is great when you are capped with platinum or do not want to spend time on searching valuables through long "trash" list (might depend on current popularity of specific server).

dur

aka Cybersquirt
The AH was all there was when I started. The items we got would never sell at stated value now. +1 Vorpal at L12 for 9600 plat, anyone? 😒
**I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut on the rest.

Plat auction house (AH) is useful for all players.

Speed

Prices and currencies depend on current needs of players, so we create economy and it dynamically changes.
It might be different per server, because it also depends on total active players and new vs veteran ratio.
There are people who do not see platinum auction house useful for various reasons.
There are also people who do not have access or do not want to use astral shard exchange.

Justfungus

I'm a Sarlona player who's returning after like 8 years away from the game. When I used to play, you could get all sorts of very useful things from the AH, and it was used all the time. The shard exchange didn't exist.

Now... it seems like platinum is a totally dead resource. The few things that are actually useful are all posted in the shard exchange. I remember scrimping and saving platinum to buy scrolls on first life, or being able to buy a silver longbow from the auction house for a different character. Now, I've got over a million platinum from a single sale, and I've realized it's pretty much useless for any sort of in-game trading.

Honestly disappointed that the base resource of the game has been allowed to become so devalued, and the solution was to move the in-game economy over to a "you have to buy these with real money" resource instead.
Shards made Plat useless, and making crafters grind up loot for crafting mats made plat double useless.

Kasanje

YouTube Creator
I have recently done Favor Runs on Orien, Sarlona, Thelanis, Wayfinder, and Ghallanda.

Other than Ghallanda, the Platinum AH on each of the servers I visited had various issues. A lack of goods being offered for sale was a recurring issue, there were no low-level (gear) items, items were priced at 50k or more, and in one instance the AH was basically empty; I counted 23 auctions total under "ALL ITEMS."

Also, on Wayfinder, I tried out Sacred Fist and enjoyed it enough to go beyond the basic 100-point Favor. I spent 3 hours playing and there was not a single party at any level in the Grouping panel for the entirety. I don't recall seeing any other players in Korthos, Borderlands, or the Harbor. I only saw a few players at the bank in Marketplace.

Speed

Other than Ghallanda, the Platinum AH on each of the servers I visited had various issues. A lack of goods being offered for sale was a recurring issue, there were no low-level (gear) items, items were priced at 50k or more, and in one instance the AH was basically empty; I counted 23 auctions total under "ALL ITEMS."

I guess I am lucky that I play on Ghallanda.
There were usually 40-80 pages (x20 per page = 800-1600 items) on platinum Auction House in last few months.

I usually have 50 items on sale and most are sold on 1-3 tries - sounds like useless to all players, right?
I am often maxed, but I buy 2 slot blanks, augments, ingredients, tomes for platinum almost every day, so astral shards are saved for really most rare things or special uses.

Last edited:

Drunken.dx

Shards made Plat useless, and making crafters grind up loot for crafting mats made plat double useless.
yes plat is useless, that's why there is nothing of value on Sarlona AH...

Oh wait, there are rare filigrees priced over 500k...

yes that's useless.

people were also selling keys/mats during mabar, also useless.

look, if plat WAS useless, plat AH would be empty, I regularly have to sell stuff I could sell for AS for plat because I often find god stuff on plat AH

some of us snatch rare filigrees and other valuable stuff when it's sold because if you buy only when you need it you pay higher price

and it didn't happen once i converted plat into AS

Tanis

Its not completely useless, there are still places that your character will need platinum, like enhancement tree respecs, reaper tree respecs, etc. But reaper tree respec will be going away since those trees will be going away. Other things that I can think of that need plat is epic destiny respecs and scrolls (e.g. resurrection, heal, fire shield, GH) and special potions.

You can try to farm those valuable items that was listed in the ASAH and try to get your own shards. But your character will need to purchase a minimum amount of shards in order to post the ad. One example is those filigree that everyone is looking for, or dual filigrees... or a +8 unbound constitution tome; a ring of spell storing, a PLIS ioun stone, or of those reaper and mystic dagger from House D'unrobar... or actually any reaper item.
It’s mostly useless for a few reasons

Shard exchange

Play capped players

BTC gear

Gyuma Bei

Platinum isn't "useless", but it's not like in other MMOs where players would go out of their way to get them.

Mainly, this stems from not having a real sought-after use for platinum or a platinum sink. For instance, in a game like Albion Online, the Silver base currency can be traded in for Premium Time (if I recall, the lowest is a 30-day Premium for 20 million or so of that currency). Thus, giving incentive to players to accumulate as much and then trade it in. Of course, players who spend for the premium with money can ignore this since they have more money than time to burn grinding, but you get the gist.

Other uses of basic currency that other MMOs employ are housing and improvements, and other gameplay and/or quality of life options that DDO doesn't have.

Speed

look, if plat WAS useless, plat AH would be empty, I regularly have to sell stuff I could sell for AS for plat because I often find god stuff on plat AH

I regularly have to sell for platinum, because I can put only 10 items on Astral Shard Exchange and I do not want to use my bank space as constantly increasing trading storage.
Its hard to just sell some items to vendors if you know that they might be useful for someone - yeah, they are so useless, that probably someone buy it from me just for fun ("awww, poor little player is selling some trash, well, as super elite hero, I will help him with my platinum, because it is quest of my life")!

• Haha
Reactions: dur