So... the platinum AH is useless?

droid327

Potions sold in the shard exchange currently in the hardcore server: potions of elixir of mnemonic enhancement, and a potion of radiant forcefield.
Hint here, the potion of radiant forcefield is sold at 100 shards per potion in argonessen and Orien. (so you get like 70 shards per potion sold after taxes).
3 mnemonics in hc currently sold at 50 shards.
Do you want npcs to sell this potions for plat? for how much? 100.000 each? it would make them less useful even, none would buy them except at very high level. 10k? in a first life you could buy maybe 20 at level 10 with luck.
What other potions would you like npcs to sell in particular and for what price?

Finally with that 10% extra change as you say you make them powerful faster, not more powerful, then the market is devalued too because each player can get their objectives faster, not in a slower way.

No, read more carefully. I'm talking about selling the potions that give you a temporary boost to item drop chance.

hanul

No, read more carefully. I'm talking about selling the potions that give you a temporary boost to item drop chance.
From what I am understanding they would be used mostly to get gear sets which means less people would buy in the ah and shard exchange. It would also make playing higher difficulties less important. That would have it's disadvantages for the ah too.

erousted8

From what I am understanding they would be used mostly to get gear sets which means less people would buy in the ah and shard exchange. It would also make playing higher difficulties less important. That would have it's disadvantages for the ah too.
Exactly what sets are you talking about that you can buy on the AH and ASAH? I know of no relevant set items that are unbound.

hanul

Exactly what sets are you talking about that you can buy on the AH and ASAH? I know of no relevant set items that are unbound.
If farming is easier they get the sets easier so they buy less random items in ah. That is what I am saying.

hanul

Honestly, making more of the items bind on equip would massively boost the game economy. . . but. . .that would reduce the gambling sales via usage of shards on chest rerolls. So, it probably won't be done.
They could make the durability of equipment to be much harsher. Like equipment getting broken completely after a few levels.

droid327

If farming is easier they get the sets easier so they buy less random items in ah. That is what I am saying.

No one's buying random items on the AH because they havent gotten the named items they want yet. Thats...just not how the AH economy works at all lol

They could make the durability of equipment to be much harsher. Like equipment getting broken completely after a few levels.

They used to have permanent item decay waaay back when. They got rid of it pretty quick because its a freaking horrible idea and everyone hates it.

hanul

No one's buying random items on the AH because they havent gotten the named items they want yet. Thats...just not how the AH economy works at all lol

They used to have permanent item decay waaay back when. They got rid of it pretty quick because its a freaking horrible idea and everyone hates it.
I don't see why it's a horrible idea. You are reincarnating your character and repeating the content +400 dungeons x 30 times and your equipment is always the same and never breaks... not realistic and probably we will not even use the same equipment always because of the reincarnations anyway (plus new quest packs and expansions having new better equipment)

"No one's buying random items on the AH because they havent gotten the named items they want yet. Thats...just not how the AH economy works at all lol"
No idea what you mean with this... people do buy items from the ah. I got 5 items bought from the ah in my hc main character which I have equipped and people buy constantly what I post in the hc (all my slots to sell are always full both in hc and in other servers; not all of them sell but a lot of them they do sell though). If in any case this thread complains that is too easy to get platinum and that they have too much platinum which could be fixed by selling higher forcing other players to sell also at a higher price or simply by the devs by reducing the price of all items when sold to the npcs.

Last edited:

Makarion

Likely because they wanted to encourage people to buy expansion packs AND the shared bank. Like... kind of sad to see how many issues have been brought in because they're trying to get people to spend money.
They obviously have to. The game would stop existing immediately if they felt not enough people were spending RL money to recoup their costs in server maintenance, software updates and personnel. As a result, I may empathize with those who cannot or will not spend cash on the game, but I sincerely hope that the people running the game keep prioritizing those who actually spend to keep us all operational and enjoying things.

Makarion

We don't use it because there's nothing to buy.

A proper MMO economy needs to have low-level stuff anyone can farm to trade for money, which can then be used to buy mid and high level stuff.

DDO has tons of low-level stuff, but lacks unbound mid and high level things.
Given that Fewywild set gear is level 5, I'd argue that bound gear is already pushing out unbound at the lowest of levels past the "I am a new character and ate an xp shard / veteran" tier.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
If equipment fully broke and couldn't be repaired then I am pretty sure a great many people would leave this game. I certainly would, as there would be no point in playing knowing that something that took hours or days to farm would be useless in a few days.

The Narc

They obviously have to. The game would stop existing immediately if they felt not enough people were spending RL money to recoup their costs in server maintenance, software updates and personnel. As a result, I may empathize with those who cannot or will not spend cash on the game, but I sincerely hope that the people running the game keep prioritizing those who actually spend to keep us all operational and enjoying things.
They could bring some of the people back from not spending money if they fixed that which insulted those people in the first place! Nerfing improved precise shot which was one of the few AOE attacks for ranged types while allowing there to be AOE single button caster room wipes is utterly insulting. Dropping the convenience of energy resist shrines in the cargo hold, just so they can have their beholders and scorrow and wraith casters wipe out your buffs so you have to slow down and recast buffs(or just slot in permanent energy resists i your gear) all whilst creating uber bard buffs not dispellable by the same mons so dual boxers can run around with uber permanent buffs, super insulting.

Neither improved precise shot, nor the ship cargo buffs broke anything they were just pure takeaways. The first one got me on the negative train the second one made me commit to closing my wallet on any extra spending, and from watching on the sidelines for many changes after that i am glad i did.

On the other hand as you said milking the egos of the whales spending on xp pots and guild ships on hardcore is definitely a wise place to earn income. I have said it somewhere else double/triple the cost of those items thise people will still pay it!!

hanul

If you want to play an mmo with completely broken economy, try neverwinter nights online. That is a game without economy at all. The auction house is absoluteeee garbage. Nothing to buy, low level staff even at inflated price (we are taking about 2-3 items every week, nothing like in ddo) ... and the itemization of the game is also awful. Everything you get has the same stats or even worse stats than the items gotten at the tutorial. All items you get are also meant to be broken to get "essences" which eventually when you have played for hundreds of hours can be used to improve some gems you can equip, and levelling up gives you... stats boosts in the way of "+0.1% damage" "+0.1% evasion" Crafting is kinda cool there, but it's also useless.

If equipment fully broke and couldn't be repaired then I am pretty sure a great many people would leave this game. I certainly would, as there would be no point in playing knowing that something that took hours or days to farm would be useless in a few days.

Well, if you play a lot and level up a lot of levels every day won't you change of equipment every few days too even if the equipment is not lost?
Not necessary though that it was just in a few days, but if you were doing 400 dungeons with the same equipment, would not it make sense that it would get broken eventually?
Neither I said that equipment could not be repaired, and equipment has durability currently, but never saw an item impossible to repair so far. Only got weapons broken and repaired after attacking a lot of oozes. Maybe even currently durability is not so bad but still...

Last edited:

Fisto Mk I

Silver rolls don't reward AS

Clearly wrong. I personally get my first AS on Argo and Orien from Silver rolls, 10 and 12 respectively.

Bound items are absolutely necessary to give quests value. Otherwise you totally divorce the gameplay from the goal and get an early-D3 disaster where everyone just farms money to buy stuff on the AH which, paired with a lack of credit sinks, leads to a Hellgate London style economic meltdown

The bound status of items has nothing to do with the value or significance of quests.

At the moment, such a status only reduces the value of a thing, excluding it from the in-game economy, and has only a negative impact. This status should be a privilege, not a punishment!
Do you want to be able to sell a more unnecessary thing to you in the in-game market? Ok, trade, but all your unbound items have the risk of permanent damage and sooner or later will come into complete disrepair.
Do you want to prevent this scenario? Ok, bound up your item with a special ritual, but after that you will no longer be able to sell it on the market.

And i don't see any real problem in Hellgate London. ;)

A better solution might be to make the drop-chance potions available in-game for plat. That way you can't trade for items, but you can trade for a faster way to get items. Plat will restore its value as a medium of trade, and we'll see more activity on the AH as people want to get more plat again.
It's not solution at all, just read Hanul posts.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
If you want to play an mmo with completely broken economy, try neverwinter nights online. That is a game without economy at all. The auction house is absoluteeee garbage. Nothing to buy, low level staff even at inflated price (we are taking about 2-3 items every week, nothing like in ddo) ... and the itemization of the game is also awful. Everything you get has the same stats or even worse stats than the items gotten at the tutorial. All items you get are also meant to be broken to get "essences" which eventually when you have played for hundreds of hours can be used to improve some gems you can equip, and levelling up gives you... stats boosts in the way of "+0.1% damage" "+0.1% evasion" Crafting is kinda cool there, but it's also useless.

Well, if you play a lot and level up a lot of levels every day won't you change of equipment every few days too even if the equipment is not lost?
Not necessary though that it was just in a few days, but if you were doing 400 dungeons with the same equipment, would not it make sense that it would get broken eventually?
Neither I said that equipment could not be repaired, and equipment has durability currently, but never saw an item impossible to repair so far. Only got weapons broken and repaired after attacking a lot of oozes. Maybe even currently durability is not so bad but still...
Typically my gear lasts me through reincarnations, not just levels, at least until it becomes outdated. I have a set for level 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25, and then end game. Of course that's just one character, I'm working on gearing up or replacing old gear on other characters currently.
Besides, I'm not playing this game for reality, so whether it's 400 dungeons or 4000, so long as I keep my gear in good working order, I expect it to be there, not turn to dust. . .it is magical after all. . .
Of course, gear currently gets worn, but it can be repaired if it's blue named with no issues, or if it's bound to character (stone of change).
Now, non-named gear can be permanently broken if you don't bind it. But named gear can always be repaired to full durability.
I've played a game where the gear constantly looses permanent durability, mabinogi, and that was a pretty big complaint with that mmo. But, with mabinogi there was a more sensible crafting system too, so you could more or less make new gear from raw materials, we can't do that with ddo and it's current crafting.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
Incorrect. Unbound named gear can receive permanent damage, and some BtA stuff, like old ToEE upgraded gears, too.
Can it? I almost always use the stone of change to bind and attune stuff to certain characters. But I was under the impression that named gear couldn't be permanently damaged. Oh, unbound, yeah, I think anything unbound can be reduced to zero if you let it, which is why there were the old adamantium rituals on the stone of change.
I really wish they'd bring back the toee crafting.

droid327

The bound status of items has nothing to do with the value or significance of quests.

And i don't see any real problem in Hellgate London. ;)

That's self-evidently false. Why would you run a quest repeatedly for gear when you could just buy it on the AH? Particularly if you don't like a particular quest? Loot is one of the primary motivations to quest. The game would just revert to running a small handful of optimized dailies, which is a behavior that the devs have been studiously avoiding with multiple systemic changes.

Think of how such a change would affect grouping, too

And...HGL shut down in 2009. I'd call that a problem...

cocopufff

I personally find the "they need to make money" response to any monetization criticism to be fairly asinine.

I am not disputing the idea that the game needs to charge money for things. But there is a world of difference between a monetization style which causes frustrating gameplay and tries to monetize that frustration (forcing you to buy things to alleviate frustration) v.s. a monetization style which causes enjoyable gameplay and seeks to monetize that enjoyment (encouraging you to buy things to offer more of the enjoyment you're experiencing.)

DDO's atrocious inventory management system where the only real solutions are locked behind a frankly stupidly high paywall ($20 for a shared account is kind of insane) causes frustration to players, and your options are to open your wallet or live with the frustration. DDO's quest design system which, excluding the give away code, requires players to endlessly farm the same quests over and over again if they want to level without buying in, deliberately designing quests so that you get diminishing returns from doing the same ones and requiring players to kill every monster and every barrel for maxing EXP, is all a frustrating gameplay loop that you either deal with or pay your way out of it.

The fact of the matter is, DDO's monetization is frustrating. It is thrown in your face constantly while you play, and the less money you have spent, the more frustrating elements you have to deal with. Games tend to have a LOT more players when they focus on making good, engaging gameplay that people will pay for MORE of, rather than making mediocre gameplay that you have to pay in order to make better.