So there's like a zillion people playing BG3 . . .

Cmecu

D&D has never been more popular than it is now (Chris Pine movie aside, even though I loved that movie). BG3 has already sold a million copies.

How do we convert some of these folks to DDO? We only need like 10k for this game to be great again.
I never laughed so hard when I seen that Movie.. One particular part almost had me on the floor because of not getting enough air in lol.. its in my signature below.

DreamingReality

No one but SSG cares how many accounts have been created. playeraudit.com has an accurate representation of server populations, and total active players each day combined doesn't break five figures. It's more like 1500-2000 active players/day.
You are hilarious! You interpreted the graphs wrong. Those are average daily numbers at any given time--hence the reason you see, for example, 256.24. Do you really think 0.24 people were playing that day? Those charts aren't telling you that only 3000 players total play each day across all 8 servers. The weekly minimum and maximums (at any given point in time) are 2000-3000 players. So whenever you get online any time night or day, at least 2000 other people are online and playing. Sometimes almost 5000 players are playing while you are online--depending on the time of year and promotions DDO is running. Not everyone is going to play every day or even every week--I know I certainly can't. Do I not count as a player in your book because I am not on 24/7? Here are estimates of total players from other places: https://osgamers.com/frequently-ask...players-does-dungeons-and-dragons-online-have
So, yeah, sorry, 10,000 more players would not help. If you want 10,000 more players playing each day, you need to recruit another 1.000,000 players to see that difference.

DreamingReality

So I think it's fair to say that there are less people here than there were at the end of 2020. I know that of the 7 or so players I played with regularly none of them play anymore and of the 40 or so people I played occasionally with only 2 still play so there's that.

From page 15 of their own 2020 prospectus (which you can expect had inflated numbers, rounded up at a minimum) they stated that they had 22k subscribers and 46k unique monthly active users. It's not clear if they considered people playing on multiple servers as "unique users" if so then the hardcore league would have grossly inflated those numbers. If not and it's actually accounts then both those numbers will have been "boosted" by HCL, which required VIP to access during that time frame and for which many players came back. By the time HCL 3 or 4 rolled around the "returners" were very few though. So their time frame was well selected.

But even if that stayed true, DDO has less than 10% of the player base you think it does.

Adding 10k members would represent a roughly 20% increase assuming the numbers haven't dropped. In reality it's probably closer to 25% to 30% I would assume.
Page 15 discusses 46,000 unique logins and 22,000 people who have memberships for 2020, but it doesn't explain how many of those users are playing at one time or how much each of those players play, so if you have 46,000 different people playing in any given month, then yes, you have to have more than 46,000 people playing throughout the year because about 20% of those players are not going to keep playing and new players will take their place from month to month. And further, you will have players who can't play for entire months, but still haven't quit and who do return seasonally or for special events.

So with 46,000 different people logging on each month we have 2000-3000 people playing DDO at any given time. 10,000 more players (per month) is going to help improve population how? By adding another 400-600 players at any given time?

Finally, if you have proof they "inflated numbers" anywhere, the SEC should be notified. Businesses that lie in their investment prospectus or any other investment literature are guilty of fraud and can be prosecuted by both the government SEC and in civil courts by investors.

Last edited:

YeeboF

The rule of thumb I have seen is multiply maximum concurrent logins by about ten, and that gives you a rough idea of how many active players there are in a MMO. So if DDO has peak concurrencies of 3000, that would put it at around 30K active players. Given that the last hard number we got was 44K active players, that seems quite possible to me.

You can argue for that being an apocalyptic decrease in player numbers, or the expected drop-off since the peak of the pandemic (when we were all locked inside our houses 24/7) depending on whether you are feeling like more of a deeply invested fanboy or an angry curmudgeon. You can even argue that "no no, it must be waaaay higher" or "no no, there is not way in hell the game has that many players" depending on how invested you are in one of those viewpoints. Take your pick and go for it . . .

Justfungus

Comparing BG3 to DDO is like comparing a brand-new Lamborghini
to a used Pinto. The games are so different and their fan bases are so different, there
is no reason to think that BG3 will bring a single player here.
Totally different rule set.
Totally different play mechanics.
DDO is a MMORPG
BG3 is for the most part a single-player game.
DDO is live-action.
BG3 is turn-based.
It is ok to hope that some part of D&D will bring in some interest but
BG3 is not it.

SiliconScout

Finally, if you have proof they "inflated numbers" anywhere, the SEC should be notified. Businesses that lie in their investment prospectus or any other investment literature are guilty of fraud and can be prosecuted by both the government SEC and in civil courts by investors.
Not saying they inflated their numbers illegally. What I AM saying is that they chose a point in time where their players and subs were at an abnormally high number due to HCL and it's VIP requirement.

EVERYONE I know who subbed for HCL has discontinued their sub and no longer plays.. Most of them since sometime in 2021. Even when I was playing HCL it's what Thelanis felt like just before MOTU dropped to be honest.

Numbers are way way way down with just the diehards left IMHO.

Kimbere

DDO's opportunity for a little player influx was the D & D movie. We all know what they did with that opportunity....💩
The characters in the D&D movie did not fight in a manner matching the SSG devs intentions.

The Paladin was clearly overperforming. He fought an entire room full of bad guys at the same time and won.

The tiefling's horns and tail also looked good instead of like a reject from a high school clay pottery class gone wrong.

Clearly the movie was doing it wrong so SSG had to nerf that marketing goldmine and turn it into dusty, crumbled chocolates.

Although, apparently, they did like the Red Wizard's animated hand, because SSG completely ripped that look off for the Hand of Vecna graphics in the Skeleton raid.

Last edited:

Lacci

DDO's opportunity for a little player influx was the D & D movie. We all know what they did with that opportunity....💩
Indeed. I remember, in the BluRays of the "Warcraft" Movie, they put in bonus codes for, I think it was a pet or a mount for World of Warcraft.
They could easily have done something similar or even go as far as make a mini expansion in one of the movies settings, like raiding Themberchauds Hoard or escaping the prison at the beginning of the movie...