So there's like a zillion people playing BG3 . . .

Teh_Troll

D&D has never been more popular than it is now (Chris Pine movie aside, even though I loved that movie). BG3 has already sold a million copies.

How do we convert some of these folks to DDO? We only need like 10k for this game to be great again.

saekee

long live ROGUE
BG has a huge nostalgia kick going for it. The folks that like it might wander over here on their own in order to expand character build options etc.

I imagine that word will get out.

Lagin

I am pretty sure DDO has about 50,000 players. I would love more players because I think its a great game, but I don't see how 10,000 is going to make much of a difference one way or the other.
I'm going out on a limb with 50K, back in it's hey-day, 10 ton Hammer said we had 1.5 ml. Most people here doubt that #.

Ying

5000+ hours played
How do we convert some of these folks to DDO?
Marketing, which is something I've never seen done for DDO in the 13 years I've been around it.

The answer is Twitch. There are 130k people *watching* right now. Convert 10% of those people to DDO and every server would be populated like hardcore. Imagine if DDO ran ads. Or if SSG actually supported DDO streamers with Twitch drops during the release of expansions or hardcore seasons.

Or convert 1% of the Steam population playing BG3, which hit a new record this week with 807k concurrent players.

Vox

If we had (a lot of) role play 'things', I think SSG could attract a lot more players.

More world map exploration, player housing, keep defence, trades & more traditional crafting (blacksmithing, husbandry etc), interacting with npcs more than just a text popup or dialogue box.

Maybe they need to consider lateral progression that isn't just kill the boss after killing groups of trash.

I'm all for new content, especially with the fairly dead & boring level ranges, but there needs to be more carrots outside of the status quo.

Selh'teus

Monstrous Humanoid
If we had (a lot of) role play 'things', I think SSG could attract a lot more players.

More world map exploration, player housing, keep defence, trades & more traditional crafting (blacksmithing, husbandry etc), interacting with npcs more than just a text popup or dialogue box.

Maybe they need to consider lateral progression that isn't just kill the boss after killing groups of trash.

I'm all for new content, especially with the fairly dead & boring level ranges, but there needs to be more carrots outside of the status quo.

I would love to see those ideas implemented, but, realistically, I think the dev's capabilities are limited to skins, map packs (cough), and minor, surface-level engine adjustments. I would be very surprised to see any major new systems implemented.

Memnir

We don't.
And even if we could, the vast majority wouldn't stick around more than a week or two. If nothing else, the lag would disincentivize the vast majority of new folks from BG3 to stick around. Kind of like it does now with most random new folks who try the game. The problems with retention spiral out from there.
But yeah, even if SSG knew how to cash in on the recent D&D popularity boom - they don't have the resources to fix the game to a state where it could really grow and swell in population and popularity. They've painted themselves into more than one corner (which is a rare trick in and of itself), and now it's just not feasible.

Contessor

Maybe if they implemented a subscription model (VIP) or even a more premium subscription that allowed for catch up to all the grind of past lives, reaper points, etc. player retention, and residual income for that matter, could materialize.

Said subscription model would enable all past lives and full access to reaper trees and all content as long as you maintained.

Chai

BG3 is what games should have been for the past 15 years, and what games were before that. You pay the money and get a finished game. Sending those players here isn't the issue. Keeping them here after they see how much of the game needs to be bought piece meal, then how much it entices buying your way to faster progression, would be the real issue. BG3 prepared for 100K concurrent, and is over 750K concurrent in the first week, BECAUSE OF not having that type of game model, and I'm sure being the closest thing to current tabletop as a CRPG didn't hurt.

Simply put, many, and I mean MANY reviews are touting how this is going to change the market back to what it once was. Larian proved there is a market for this without having to succumb to selling every little thing, even the solutions to customer issues separately. It doesn't mean there's zero overlap in potential customer base, but good luck retaining any significant percentage of customers that aren't already on the DDO bandwagon from long ago, simply due to the commonality being the D&D IP.

SiliconScout

I am pretty sure DDO has about 500,000 players. I would love more players because I think its a great game, but I don't see how 10,000 is going to make much of a difference one way or the other.
So I think it's fair to say that there are less people here than there were at the end of 2020. I know that of the 7 or so players I played with regularly none of them play anymore and of the 40 or so people I played occasionally with only 2 still play so there's that.

From page 15 of their own 2020 prospectus (which you can expect had inflated numbers, rounded up at a minimum) they stated that they had 22k subscribers and 46k unique monthly active users. It's not clear if they considered people playing on multiple servers as "unique users" if so then the hardcore league would have grossly inflated those numbers. If not and it's actually accounts then both those numbers will have been "boosted" by HCL, which required VIP to access during that time frame and for which many players came back. By the time HCL 3 or 4 rolled around the "returners" were very few though. So their time frame was well selected.

But even if that stayed true, DDO has less than 10% of the player base you think it does.

Adding 10k members would represent a roughly 20% increase assuming the numbers haven't dropped. In reality it's probably closer to 25% to 30% I would assume.

Last edited: