SoS vs ESoS

Hoccleve

Long time casual pugger here. VON5/6 is one of my favourite raids, and yesterday had the luck to jump on a R3 heroic pug. As so often, a slightly chaotic but fine run of VON5, rapidly became a bit of a mess at VON6. Several quit, but about five of us stuck with it, got the pillars down, and had a genuine scrap with Velah but got there in the end. Someone pulls an SoS and kindly offers a roll, which I win - happy days.

No immediate plans for a sword build, but obvs got to build for it sometime. What I am wondering is whether to upgrade to eSoS (have plenty parts). I run both heroics and epics. Looking at wiki, the epic obviously is better in absolute terms (doh) but I'm much less clear about which is better relative to level. Any advice?

FVSHasBeenEvenMoreGutted

the thing to keep in mind is at level 10 and level 20 there are competitors (they are worse but are somewhat close to as good if you dont have the SoS of that level). at 10, herioc whirlwind has +2 base crit range, 6% doublestrike, and telekinetic and a set bonus. it loses the 3x crit multi, but its almost as good. at 20 there is epic xuum which has same crit range and multi (15-20 3x), but has falchion damage dice (2d4 vs Esos 2d6), and +6 enhancement bonus vs +10. however, xuum has some procs and extra damage, as well as a set bonus. all these things should be considered first as whhatever level you dont have an SoS has a somewhat replacement

Ellisaria

I'd say "You want both". On a Two-Handed Fighting build I usually run Carnifex from level 4-10, swap to Sword of Shadow 10-20, and run Epic Sword of Shadow 20-30. If you have to pick one, unless favored weapon is a factor, you could get a Xuum from sands, make that epic (gets a 3x multiplier on falchion) and keep your SoS at heroic (til you get a second one to make epic)

droid327

It really depends if you're going to run more Epic or Heroic lives, tbh...it matters what's more valuable to you

That being said, all things being equal, I think eSoS has more value, because its pretty much your one-and-done weapon for an entire EPL, while SoS only covers half the leveling range for Heroic. Also, by L20 you have your full crit profile, which makes the expanded crit of eSoS more valuable, while some Heroic builds may not get full crit till 12, 15, even 18.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Nothing beats SoS from levels 10-29. Nothing. Hence why the Devs swore never to create anything else like it including a Legendary SoS (which evidently is the only thing that'll bring back a couple of my friends to DDO).

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
except eSoS... (and a few other things that keep up thru the silliness that is leveling for other weapon playstyles and builds)
Yes that's what I meant when I said SoS hence why I moved into talking about Legensary SoS.

Hoccleve

Thanks all. It had occurred to me that having two would solve the problem, but chuffing norah, pulling (or rather dicing) one feels like enough luck for one RL. :) Good to hear that both versions are still the bees knees, and thanks for the tips about alternatives. I'll not do anything hasty, given its a one way upgrade and I'm not planning to use immediately. Will put away carefully and look at once in a while, and muse about next lives.

Just looked up Xuum. Very cool, and had totally missed that the Bronze Tokens are now useful. Slightly frustration at the ones I did not collect, but still should have enough kicking about in bags somewhere.

Arsont

Thanks all. It had occurred to me that having two would solve the problem, but chuffing norah, pulling (or rather dicing) one feels like enough luck for one RL. :) Good to hear that both versions are still the bees knees, and thanks for the tips about alternatives. I'll not do anything hasty, given its a one way upgrade and I'm not planning to use immediately. Will put away carefully and look at once in a while, and muse about next lives.

Just looked up Xuum. Very cool, and had totally missed that the Bronze Tokens are now useful. Slightly frustration at the ones I did not collect, but still should have enough kicking about in bags somewhere.
eXuum is probably the best thing to do for now.

Carnifex 1-4>heroic SoS 10-19>eXuum 20-cap, running eeVon off timer until you have the runes for a second SoS. You could keep Carnifex from 4-9, or use something like Antique Greataxe or Sword of the Thirty if you wanted a change of pace.

Unless you're running lots of harder content, you probably won't notice a huge difference between eXuum and eSoS, so if you have the mats for a Xuum+eXuum, I'd go with that first. Also, eXuum synergizes well with wood elf if you wanted a thf fvs build ;)

PaleFox

Gratz on your pull.

As others have stated, it depends on what you want to focus on.
Doing TR after TR or are you planning to do ETRs as well.

Having to wait to 20 for able to use your powertoy can be a real annoyance.
That said, the heroic weapons from Mists of Ravenloft can carry you to 20 just fine.
And so can other great swords (but that feeling of having a SoS,,,,)

My vote would be to keep the heroic version SoS and just make an eXuum for epics. I made the mistake of upgrading mine and the dmg difference between eXuum and eSoS is negligible from what I could tell. I actually just banked the eSoS and play full time with the eXuum from 20-28.

I'm not the greatest player so maybe I was just using it wrong but that's my opinion.

Tilomere

My vote would be to keep the heroic version SoS and just make an eXuum for epics. I made the mistake of upgrading mine and the dmg difference between eXuum and eSoS is negligible from what I could tell. I actually just banked the eSoS and play full time with the eXuum from 20-28.

I'm not the greatest player so maybe I was just using it wrong but that's my opinion.
Heroic SOS is inferior to a double socketed crafted falchion, since the quad damage affixes are better than a crit multiplier, especially considering some reapers in heroics have >100% fort.

Epic SoS is inferior to eXuum. I would just make the cosmetic ESOS and use falchions instead.

l_remmie

eXuum and eSOS work great together. When mobs are immune to fire or have DR adamantine you'll be glad you brought your sword with you.

Heroic SOS is all about the crit multiplier. You really want every bit of extra damage like rage, deadly, seeker and past lives. If you don't work on that just grab a doubleslotted falchion at 15 or so.

Arsont

Heroic SOS is inferior to a double socketed crafted falchion, since the quad damage affixes are better than a crit multiplier, especially considering some reapers in heroics have >100% fort.

Epic SoS is inferior to eXuum. I would just make the cosmetic ESOS and use falchions instead.
I've found Nightblade to be especially good for this same reason in heroics. Stave of the Seer and Theurgic Stave are also good for similar reasons (Expanded crit, high base damage for their weapon type), and useful for certain builds/situations.