SSG: Let's talk about Reaper crafting (and how to improve it)

Col Kurtz

Mate I have been running R10s for years now and I dont even have enough frags to reaper boost a single item. I dont mind farming 75 frags IF it drops directly from killing reapers or bosses. See my OP on how the stars and moons have to align to get a single reaper fragment.
o yea, dropping from reapers seems only logical..xcellent idea

Nickodeamous

I often wonder why SSG gated the frags to having 50 reaper points to even use them. I do think that the odds are not in your favor to have 75 frags by the time you hit 50 reaper points...unless you farmed Borderlands before that was taken away. Obviously they don't want us to get them fast. It's a chase item. I still stand by the fact that I am just gonna wait until lev 40 and have enough frags to bling all my cool endgame gear. For me it's long term...I also think 50 is the sweet spot. What do they have to lose. The cheaper they are, the more folks will spend, and the more readily they will be to farm new gear sets so they can upgrade.

erethizon1

You're still free to pass items to others if that's what you want

If you're upset because others arent passing their items to you anymore...thats far less sympathetic :D
I do that. I have 131 reaper points and only 7 reaper fragments ever. The system as it is designed is utter garbage. You either act like a selfish POS or you never craft a reaper item ever. It shouldn't be this way. This isn't a PvP game so we shouldn't be forced to act against each other's interests.

Reactions: DBZ

droid327

This isn't a PvP game so we shouldn't be forced to act against each other's interests.

This isn't a pvp game so players need some personal incentive to work for, not just pure altruism

They can still pass non reaper items since those are only worth sxp, but tbh if you already have the base item I'm not sweating if someone doesn't pass you the mythic reaper version

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Your loot is your loot. End of.

I've never had a reaper item passed to me and never done that either. That doesn't make me or anyone else a bad person.

It's entirely sensible to keep any loot that is useful to you in any capacity, and the only person who can judge that utility is you.

Scrag

I've never had a reaper item passed to me and never done that either. That doesn't make me or anyone else a bad person.

It's entirely sensible to keep any loot that is useful to you in any capacity, and the only person who can judge that utility is you.
I will pass stuff if I don't need it, _except_ reaper gear, cause frags!

Neurik

Mate I have been running R10s for years now and I dont even have enough frags to reaper boost a single item. I dont mind farming 75 frags IF it drops directly from killing reapers or bosses. See my OP on how the stars and moons have to align to get a single reaper fragment
I do not know how that is possible, I solo mostly R4-6 and have crafted 2 helmets and I have AT LEAST another 75 frags in reaper items that I am sitting on that I *may* use or crunch at some future time.

Also your original proposal was silly, drop reaper craft cost to 5 and have reapers drop frags. Do you want everyone to get all their reaper gear in a single quest?

Last edited:

Scrag

I do not know how that is possible, I solo mostly R4-6 and have crafted 2 helmets and I have AT LEAST another 75 frags in reaper items that I am sitting on that I *may* use or crunch at some future time.

Also your original proposal was silly, drop reaper craft cost to 5 and have reapers drop frags. Do you want everyone to get all their reaper gear in a single quest?
While this may true for you soloing r4-6, a significant portion of the population do r1-3. For those folks, what you have is a pipedream for them.

Oddly, casually sporadic raiding is vastly more likely to end in success than building out +reaper gear as you do.

Neurik

While this may true for you soloing r4-6, a significant portion of the population do r1-3. For those folks, what you have is a pipedream for them.

Oddly, casually sporadic raiding is vastly more likely to end in success than building out +reaper gear as you do.
My comment was directed at the OPs statement that they run R10's and do not have enough frags to craft a single item. I just assume that if people are running R1-3 exclusively then the want/need for reaper gear is probably pretty low. I guess you can put me down in the camp that the system as it currently stands is fine and does not need to be made any easier. As mentioned earlier, they already made it easier to get reaper gear by adding the frag system.

l_remmie

Reaper crafting is for the whaliest of whaly whales. It's downright laughable.
I play like a proper addict, play decent r level and got like 50 in 2 years.

If you are at the level where you can. Farm Reaper fragments reliable in a decent timeframe you need an intervention.

erethizon1

This isn't a pvp game so players need some personal incentive to work for, not just pure altruism

They can still pass non reaper items since those are only worth sxp, but tbh if you already have the base item I'm not sweating if someone doesn't pass you the mythic reaper version
Your responses are completely and entirely reasonable, and exactly the problem. They DESIGNED this system (along with the sentient weapon system) to maximize selfishness and minimize helping others. I don't have a problem with how you are behaving. I have a problem that the system was designed to encourage such behavior.

A better system is to have sentient exp and reaper fragments completely separate from loot. Sentient exp gems can drop at the same rate, and the same value, as named items, and reaper fragments can drop at the same rate as reaper bonuses appear on named items. The problem is that the items currently have to be destroyed to get a benefit from the system. Let's remove that.

Guntango

Reaper crafting is for the whaliest of whaly whales. It's downright laughable.
I play like a proper addict, play decent r level and got like 50 in 2 years.

If you are at the level where you can. Farm Reaper fragments reliable in a decent timeframe you need an intervention.

“It is not enough to be busy…. The question is: What are we busy about?” - Cordo​

droid327

Your responses are completely and entirely reasonable, and exactly the problem. They DESIGNED this system (along with the sentient weapon system) to maximize selfishness and minimize helping others. I don't have a problem with how you are behaving. I have a problem that the system was designed to encourage such behavior.

A better system is to have sentient exp and reaper fragments completely separate from loot. Sentient exp gems can drop at the same rate, and the same value, as named items, and reaper fragments can drop at the same rate as reaper bonuses appear on named items. The problem is that the items currently have to be destroyed to get a benefit from the system. Let's remove that.

That wouldnt actually make anything different, or better. It would just make items themselves low-value, since they always drop without mods (or Mythic at best?). Few people would actually need the base item, and those that did would get it relatively quickly even without someone else passing it.

The long-term value would still be in the Reaper frags themselves, whether they're contained within the item, or exist as a standalone drop. People would still hoard all their Reaper frags just as they hoard Reaper items.

In fact that system might be a little worse, because right now there's a small chance that you will get your item to drop with a Reaper mod already on it. In your suggestion, the only way to get Reaper mods is to craft them on, so you're stuck until you get 50 frags, and again no one is going to pass you theirs.

Generally I think the better system is the one that doesnt create junk item bloat - and having the base items be separate from Reaper frags would mean base items are junk tier for most players. Keeping Sentience and Reaper value within the items themselves keeps them from becoming chest filler.

erethizon1

That wouldnt actually make anything different, or better. It would just make items themselves low-value, since they always drop without mods (or Mythic at best?). Few people would actually need the base item, and those that did would get it relatively quickly even without someone else passing it.

The long-term value would still be in the Reaper frags themselves, whether they're contained within the item, or exist as a standalone drop. People would still hoard all their Reaper frags just as they hoard Reaper items.

In fact that system might be a little worse, because right now there's a small chance that you will get your item to drop with a Reaper mod already on it. In your suggestion, the only way to get Reaper mods is to craft them on, so you're stuck until you get 50 frags, and again no one is going to pass you theirs.

Generally I think the better system is the one that doesnt create junk item bloat - and having the base items be separate from Reaper frags would mean base items are junk tier for most players. Keeping Sentience and Reaper value within the items themselves keeps them from becoming chest filler.
There seems to be some confusion. I'm not saying that items would not drop with reaper bonuses on them. In fact, the item drops would work exactly like they do now. The only difference is there would be no need to destroy an item. The most you could get for destroying an item would be the plat you get for selling it.

It wasn't that long ago that if you needed an item, and someone else didn't need it, they would just pass it to you because there was no reason for them to keep it (other than to sell it for platinum). Sentient weapons messed with this somewhat and people stopped passing as much high level gear. They still would often pass gear with reaper bonuses because it just seemed so wasteful to destroy it for sentient experience when someone else needed it and it had such a nice bonus. Then the awful reaper fragment system was released and destroying the very best gear became the entire point of the system. If something dropped with a great bonus that would increase, rather than decrease, your desire to destroy it.

This system is horrible. Allow items to drop with the same chance for mythic and reaper bonuses that they have now, but do not give any sentient exp or reaper frags for destroying them. Instead, have sentient experience and reaper fragments drop separately.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Same argument applies to augment sets from raids.

Basically any feature that makes an item desirable makes it less likely to be traded.

I don't necessarily disagree with the general principle of reform, but it's not limited to reaper frags.

Whatever the merits, I doubt they'll revise that road now. But might want to consider it going forward for new gear.

Right now, for reaper frags, I think the best and most practicable change we can hope for is lower frag costs. 👍

Reactions: DBZ