SSG Please stop blaming and punishing players for accidently stumbling into your bugs - Curse of the Overloaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

owl

I saw this from the release notes:

• We have corrected a bug that could allow players to put more than one Curse from the Deck of Many Treasures onto an item. Characters that have more than one Curse on a particular item have had those Curses removed and replaced with Curse of the Overloaded, which must be removed with a Card of Curse Cleansing before any new Curses can be applied.
I know this happened a few times - I think always on Vecna cloaks. In my case I would put curses on a lost purpose cloak before putting the set bonus on it to make sure it was a bonus I wanted before using mats for a set bonus. I would then put it my shared bank and would also put items recently looted in my shared bank.

When pulling an item from the bank if I didn't see a bonus on it I would apply a curse. Then I noticed a few cloaks with multiple bonuses in my shared bank at some later point- I never intentionally did anything nor do I know why bonuses disappeared and reappeared - it only happened a few times. I don't think I ever had one with even one good bonus on it so I don't mind losing the bonus.

All I know is I wasted cards because I applied a bonus since the bonus wasn't visible to me or the cards. And now with this curse of the overloaded I had to unslot an augment on item that made to my gearset that likely didn't even have a good bonus on it, just something not totally useless. Fortunately it was just one item.

Players didn't do anything here except lose mats and tools because of your bug. Why punish players by putting curse of the overloaded on there instead of just removing all the curses. This was your bug - I never did anything to cause this and wasn't even aware I was adding a second bonus until well after the fact.

I can understand and accept bugs, but in this case you chose a player-unfriendly solution for something that was fully your fault. You could have simply just acknowledged your bug, removed all the curses and apologized for having to do so- that seems like a reasonable approach to me. Instead you shifted blame to customers and punished us by making our item unable to have any curse on it.

Please stop blaming us for bugs completely out of our control. I find shifting the blame to customers offensive.

cdbd3rd

Does that Curse of Overloaded have any effect on a character, or is it just a placeholder requiring a Cleanser as would be needed if there had only been one Curse on the item?

(It's the same name as the effect we got when some equipped gear jumped level a few years back and the character could only move in slow-motion until unequipping it.)

Kyrr

Does that Curse of Overloaded have any effect on a character, or is it just a placeholder requiring a Cleanser as would be needed if there had only been one Curse on the item?

(It's the same name as the effect we got when some equipped gear jumped level a few years back and the character could only move in slow-motion until unequipping it.)
It is a placeholder that strips the original curse(s) and replaces it with a requirement of cleansing from a Card of Curse Cleansing.

cdbd3rd

It is a placeholder that strips the original curse(s) and replaces it with a requirement of cleansing from a Card of Curse Cleansing.

Okay, so no punishing debuff. That's how I read the curse at first and literally did a facepalm at the screen.

Kyrr

Okay, so no punishing debuff. That's how I read the curse at first and literally did a facepalm at the screen.
There is a punishment debuff. It's called finding the curse cleansing card.

Realistically, this is not the proper way to go around the game. They should've either patched it and let the players who have current items keep them, and/or supply 12 curse cleansing cards to cleanse their gear set.

I only added the supply 12 cards because of the prices that player sell them for on various servers.

I have been playing a variety of other games. It makes me realize how SSG inappropriately handles these circumstances and situations.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
I saw this from the release notes:

• We have corrected a bug that could allow players to put more than one Curse from the Deck of Many Treasures onto an item. Characters that have more than one Curse on a particular item have had those Curses removed and replaced with Curse of the Overloaded, which must be removed with a Card of Curse Cleansing before any new Curses can be applied.
I know this happened a few times - I think always on Vecna cloaks. In my case I would put curses on a lost purpose cloak before putting the set bonus on it to make sure it was a bonus I wanted before using mats for a set bonus. I would then put it my shared bank and would also put items recently looted in my shared bank.

When pulling an item from the bank if I didn't see a bonus on it I would apply a curse. Then I noticed a few cloaks with multiple bonuses in my shared bank at some later point- I never intentionally did anything nor do I know why bonuses disappeared and reappeared - it only happened a few times. I don't think I ever had one with even one good bonus on it so I don't mind losing the bonus.

All I know is I wasted cards because I applied a bonus since the bonus wasn't visible to me or the cards. And now with this curse of the overloaded I had to unslot an augment on item that made to my gearset that likely didn't even have a good bonus on it, just something not totally useless. Fortunately it was just one item.

Players didn't do anything here except lose mats and tools because of your bug. Why punish players by putting curse of the overloaded on there instead of just removing all the curses. This was your bug - I never did anything to cause this and wasn't even aware I was adding a second bonus until well after the fact.

I can understand and accept bugs, but in this case you chose a player-unfriendly solution for something that was fully your fault. You could have simply just acknowledged your bug, removed all the curses and apologized for having to do so- that seems like a reasonable approach to me. Instead you shifted blame to customers and punished us by making our item unable to have any curse on it.

Please stop blaming us for bugs completely out of our control. I find shifting the blame to customers offensive.
Not the first time... so folks found an exploit, used it, and ..here we are. Not the first time. Nor will it be the last.

RE: Shifting blame.. GL Any luck you know who found and used the exploit.

Last edited:

mikarddo

Realistically, this is not the proper way to go around the game. They should've either patched it and let the players who have current items keep them, and/or supply 12 curse cleansing cards to cleanse their gear set.
Lord no. That would be rewarding those that intentionally exploited the loop hole. What a completely stupid suggestion.

Preferably those that exploited should have been punished while that that got accidentally got bugged should not - but seeing that is impossible the solution suggested above to remove the last added curse and leaving the first would have been best, even though that sadly would have left the exploiter unpunished.

Elves United

Lord no. That would be rewarding those that intentionally exploited the loop hole. What a completely stupid suggestion.

Preferably those that exploited should have been punished while that that got accidentally got bugged should not - but seeing that is impossible the solution suggested above to remove the last added curse and leaving the first would have been best, even though that sadly would have left the exploiter unpunished.

Just removing all the curses would be enough to punish exploiters. But to render the item useless with a curse of overloading that if I'm reading this right cripples the move speed of a character and is only reversible by a card of cleansing which I've never seen drop ever for anyone. That's pretty harsh. If it's true what some way and it could have happened by accident? Unconscionable.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

I initially thought that this was a good solution. The sploiters needed a good kicking.

But cases like the OPs should take priority here, even if it means letting the sploiters off. As galling as that may feel.

Collective punishment of innocent parties for the wrongdoings of the guilty is simply unjust. That principle is a basic tenet of any civilised society.

I think, at the very least, the Overburdened curses should now be removed. 👍

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Just removing all the curses would be enough to punish exploiters. But to render the item useless with a curse of overloading that if I'm reading this right cripples the move speed of a character and is only reversible by a card of cleansing which I've never seen drop ever for anyone. That's pretty harsh. If it's true what some way and it could have happened by accident? Unconscionable.
You're not reading it right, but that's not your fault, it's a confusion of terminology. 👍

The Overburdened curse, in this context, has no effect but to prevent you applying a cursed card until the Overburdened curse has been removed.

I agree though, they should be removed. For the reasons I posited above.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
All I know is I got Mimic Cards that are worthless now.. OH, and the DDO Bag with the Card Cruncher. Yeah, thanks :(

Jack Jarvis Esquire

could also rename the post "Playerbase Please stop exploiting bugs that are very clearly bugs and should be punished accordingly"
That would be fair enough, except that there are a significant number of folks like the OP who are affected involuntarily.

I'm not one of them, but it would be so unfair if I was.

And next time it might be me, or you.

Kyrr

That's how other games handle what they created when it was an accident, this is SSG's problem and they are going about this all wrong. They are punishing the people who haven't purposely done it. Lord no is not correct. Lord yes isn't correct either, but it's a solution to make everyone happy. Give everyone 12 cards. Don't act like it's a stupid idea, because it's not, it's **a** solution.

People can uncleanse their boosted gear and recurse it left with nothing. People who didn't abuse their gear can simply get free 12 cards to cleanse any garbage curse.

mikarddo

That's how other games handle what they created when it was an accident, this is SSG's problem and they are going about this all wrong. They are punishing the people who haven't purposely done it. Lord no is not correct. Lord yes isn't correct either, but it's a solution to make everyone happy. Give everyone 12 cards. Don't act like it's a stupid idea, because it's not, it's **a** solution.

People can uncleanse their boosted gear and recurse it left with nothing. People who didn't abuse their gear can simply get free 12 cards to cleanse any garbage curse.
Letting those that got two curses on the same item - innocently or by cheating - would be entirely wrong.

I read your suggestion with 12 cards as "give 12 cards to everyone with double cursed items and only those" - which is why I posted it would be a stupid ide. Seeing you meant to give everyone 12 cards thats is indeed not a stupid idea but not one I like, which is very different.

Removing excess curses to leave at most 1 on each item would a solution. Removing both curses on items with two curses would also be a solution.

I do agree that punishing the innocent is not really a solution. The optimal would be to punish those that cheated and only those but seeing that isnt possible punishing noone and rewarding noone is a reasonable solution.

Kyrr

Letting those that got two curses on the same item - innocently or by cheating - would be entirely wrong.

I read your suggestion with 12 cards as "give 12 cards to everyone with double cursed items and only those" - which is why I posted it would be a stupid ide. Seeing you meant to give everyone 12 cards thats is indeed not a stupid idea but not one I like, which is very different.

Removing excess curses to leave at most 1 on each item would a solution. Removing both curses on items with two curses would also be a solution.

I do agree that punishing the innocent is not really a solution. The optimal would be to punish those that cheated and only those but seeing that isnt possible punishing noone and rewarding noone is a reasonable solution.
You can't win in any scenario when it comes to game. You have to deal with what's on top and what's the beneficiary on both sides. Yeah, the exploiters did something they weren't supposed to, but that's going to be in EVERY GAME. DDO is not exclusive to bug abusers. It makes everyone happy, exploiters don't get stuck finding 12 cards with a 0.3% chance, and the people who didn't abuse get 12 free cards to reroll. It's simple and a win win whether or not you like it. Not everyone is going to like solutions laid out. But it's the most neutral in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.