Store Payments, Billing Country, and Missing Names

Cordovan

Community Manager
As we opened our new Store in August of 2023 we implemented anti-fraud and other security considerations that may be different from what you are used to under our previous store. To help make sure you have a smooth transaction with us, we have identified two leading causes of failed payment:

1. Billing Country, IP, or Payment Source Mismatch: Your IP (Internet Protocol) address, billing address, and payment source must be in alignment in order to make a successful purchase. This means that if your billing country is different from the location where you are making your payment, the transaction may fail. Additionally, any use of a VPN (Virtual Private Network) that adjusts your geolocation to a different country can cause a failed transaction.

You can make sure your information is accurate by accessing your payment profile. This can be done inside of the game through the Store or through our web site here. If using the in-game Store, click “Buy Points” and select any bundle to be redirected to the Payment Gateway, where you can adjust your payment method.

2. Missing name field for payment source: As an account security precaution it is not possible to edit your first or last name when editing a payment source, so if the name field is not present when attempting to edit a saved payment source, the stored payment source will need to be deleted and re-added, and recurring subscriptions will need to be re-enabled with the new payment source.

To remove and then re-add your payment method on file using the in-game Store, click “Buy Points” and select any bundle to be redirected to the Payment Gateway. Click on “Payment Sources” and then “Delete” your payment source on file.

From the DDO Market, click on “Payment Sources” and then “Delete” your payment source on file. Then, re-add your card on file.

If you continue to experience a payment-related issue after following the above steps, please get in contact with Account Support through help.standingstonegames.com. In your ticket, first select “I am experiencing purchase issues”, then fill out the form and click Submit. Thank you for your business!

Last edited:

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
1. Billing Country, IP, or Payment Source Mismatch: Your IP (Internet Protocol) address, billing address, and payment source must be in alignment in order to make a successful purchase. This means that if your billing country is different from the location where you are making your payment, the transaction may fail.
Some DDO players are not statically enchained to any Nation or State. I myself am located on the borderland between three different Nation States.

SSG creating an extra financial transaction barrier is unhelpful -- and whilst I do not have an offshore bank account presently, in the past I did have one, and I would suggest that it is potentially unlawful to prevent purchases from such accounts.

And in a more practical sense, this sounds like a punitive measure against some DDO players who may not be sedentary, but may have more nomadic lives.

Toprak

Some DDO players are not statically enchained to any Nation or State. I myself am located on the borderland between three different Nation States.

SSG creating an extra financial transaction barrier is unhelpful -- and whilst I do not have an offshore bank account presently, in the past I did have one, and I would suggest that it is potentially unlawful to prevent purchases from such accounts.

And in a more practical sense, this sounds like a punitive measure against some DDO players who may not be sedentary, but may have more nomadic lives.
I think the implementation of MFA would sate both concerns of fraud and those you stated.

Smokewolf

I'm a long time DDO player with over 6300 hours (over 15 years) of accumulated play. During this time, I've retired from the military, had two rug-rats, and moved overseas to Germany. What I draw from my military retirement allows us to live comfortably if not have everything we want. The state-side bank I was affiliated with while on active duty, is the very same bank I draw funds from today as a retiree. (Including my VISA card)

Recently I've encountered the geolocation / zipcode issue with the revamped DDO store. Now if I'm unable to purchase points or renew my subscription then I'm very likely to become F2P. Which would most certainly result in me no longer playing, and all for committing the "crime" of being an American residing overseas.

Meanwhile I continue to use the very same VISA card to perform our "local" shopping and online purchases. Keep in mind, that I'm not a criminal, but a LEGAL EU Resident. Though one that obviously been targeted and singled out for being an American overseas.

@SSGBrand Please fix this!

-Smoke

jukiejoe2

Similar to Smokewolf, I am a retired American military member. I reside in the Philippines. My bank didn't move. My financial account information didn't change....but I lost my VIP status while I was away from the game for a two months. It'd been nice to get an email alert notifying us of this very significant change. I've got a ticket in for help, but now that I see what you did, I'm wondering if it's even worth the effort. You guys keep doing things hostile to us non-US residents and it's annoying.

I fought for my country for 20 years and I'm 100% disabled now. I shouldn't have to fight to pay you money for a game subscription.

jukiejoe2

The thing that annoys me the most is that this is not the first time this has happened to me. By my count it's the third time since July 2009. In all cases, I've had to long-distance (international) long-distance call you guys because doing it online was impossible, presumably due to your other anti-fraud protocols. While I do applaud your efforts to combat fraud, it amazes me that even with over a decade of corporate experience, available technological resources, and greater MMO industry shared knowledge and lessons learned, you still haven't figured out a way to implement those efforts without punishing those outside the continental United States. It's stunning. Baffling even. Surely by now in the year 2023 there exists a way to ensure anti-fraud without having us international patrons having to spend international phone call rates to fix what you do every time.

Smokewolf

Update Oct-232023: Was finally able to get my CC to work but only after using a (pay for) VPN service to bypass the geo-tracking. Sure while this is great and all, I'm a bit upset at the fact that I now have to pay a 3rd party to be able to use my US credit card.

The 3rd party vendor SSG is using to process the payments is 100% responsible for this mess!

JangoEX

From my part, I ended up installing the game on a friend`s computer and then I access it remote when I need to buy stuff! Jesus right?

Smokewolf

The thing that annoys me the most is that this is not the first time this has happened to me. By my count it's the third time since July 2009. In all cases, I've had to long-distance (international) long-distance call you guys because doing it online was impossible, presumably due to your other anti-fraud protocols. While I do applaud your efforts to combat fraud, it amazes me that even with over a decade of corporate experience, available technological resources, and greater MMO industry shared knowledge and lessons learned, you still haven't figured out a way to implement those efforts without punishing those outside the continental United States. It's stunning. Baffling even. Surely by now in the year 2023 there exists a way to ensure anti-fraud without having us international patrons having to spend international phone call rates to fix what you do every time.
It's pretty clear to me that these anti-fraud measures are useless. Consider that any fraudster will be using a Tor to mask their location, which is far more effective than the VPN I used. All these measures are doing is making life more difficult for everyone else.

Samdavid

Ok i have managed to become vip again by putting the country that the payment gateway thinks i am located into the vpn, and then creating a new payment source and was then charged that countrys currency. Now when i play the game i also need vpn running to purchase in game points as the gateway still thinks im somewhere else. Weirds me out to be honest im not tech savvy or trying to be fraudulent just wanna play ddo. Dont really want to be buying a vpn to play a game, id rather give to ddo. I play 2 vip accounts and one thinks i live somewhere else, not sure why