The DPS chase is a failure in monster design...

Our need to chase DPS over everything in this game is really a consequence of poor monster design?

• Yes it's a failure in monster design.

• No, it isn't.

• Golden #1 rule is always in effect: Kill them before they can kill you.

• Everything in this game is a DPS race.

• Devs don't know how to make an encounter or fight that doesn't utilize massive DPS

• Just shutup and DPS.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orchidblossomwasgutted

The OP often complains about not being able to solo stuff on melee; if they're not applying CC effects like cower/etc. and only chasing DPS instead of a mix of survival stats, CC, and DPS then it explains why they have issues. Even in raids only some people are on DPS duty, while others are filling in needed roles to let those DPS go to town.
No one wants to be a Glass Canon.

Purr

I think part of the problem is translating "things that would be neat in pnp" into multi-player online game design. DPS is just such a faster player experience than everyone farming portal and Harry beaters and an anarchic weapon for von 3 OR everyone hanging from a ladder while one guy shoots the laser.

Pano

I would like to see more movement and tactical gameplay involved in our fights.

Idea: Maybe for a particular monster you need to stay right in front of it to avoid massive damage, like it's blind if you stand right in front of it's head.

ce7a933d7a7992afad646743c7381e7f2d83502d.gif
I am already dying to LAG enough. I dont need another need for precise and quick positioning - I cannot even climb ladders normally, let alone position myself perfectly in a group of moving monsters

Willsave20

Our need to chase DPS over everything in this game is really a consequence of poor monster design and lack of creativity.
I agree that the game isnt clear enough that it really is a loot tetris endgame DPS focused game. It really comes down to quest design, and honestly, some monster design. When you play tabletop D&D, you can come up with clever solutions when it comes to beating bbegs and monsters. I agree that there is a severe lack of options for players to choose from, which results in the static dps focus. The only quest I can really think of that was fun is The Knight Who Cried Windmill, in the feywild.

The Narc

Ah the good old days when dos didnt matter and all you needed was a puncturing rapier of wounding.

If I can admit I have totally succumb to the DPS playstyle, the devs have just bloated the mobs hit points so much that this is the only option.

Funnily enough i actually enjoyed playing melee back then.

Mystra

Goddess of Magic
It's unfortunately the only way to make content, Mob HP bloat and your toon being geared to take down that bloat (through DPS). Then they sell yoi the means to do that through expansions and gear.

I mean how else would you do it? The game has FAR exceeded the capacity limit in terms of numbers, we were never meant to get to 34th level or whatever. I just wonder what we'll do when we hit 40th level cap?

Pano

The game has FAR exceeded the capacity limit in terms of numbers, we were never meant to get to 34th level or whatever. I just wonder what we'll do when we hit 40th level cap?

Exceeded capacity limit? What does that mean? the limit is probably 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 or at least 2,147,483,647

EDIT: oh, you mean we will run out of numbers? 😬

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Exceeded capacity limit? What does that mean? the limit is probably 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 or at least 2,147,483,647

EDIT: oh, you mean we will run out of numbers? 😬
Fingers and toes math limit; SSG exceed 20 when they added epic levels so now we're living in dangerous uncharted territory.