The new race that's coming this year...

songswrath

The strength in dlord is its versatility. Straight fighter, you can tank, or, spam out lots of MP.

I run a tank dlord. Took all the shield feats and shield expertise or whatever its called. Cost 5 feats to get shields. Worth every penny. No, I am not stand still in one place till the cows come home tough, but with support i can tank up to r8 pretty well.

So yes, if you want to, you can really tank as a dlord. I mated tank junk w/ extensive cc on a pdk framework. Works like a charm!
the only down side i seeing to dl is a lot of ppl are dipping in the def tree. adding positive hate gen on a dps not built to take aggro is getting ppl smacked. plus i think dip in ravager is better choice cruel cut is so good right now. the extra hamp and melee power from core is nice too. plus stance stop rage (many players still using rage with dl's ! for the temp hp and two for the healing in fury. but to each their own

Scrag

the only down side i seeing to dl is a lot of ppl are dipping in the def tree. adding positive hate gen on a dps not built to take aggro is getting ppl smacked. plus i think dip in ravager is better choice cruel cut is so good right now. the extra hamp and melee power from core is nice too. plus stance stop rage (many players still using rage with dl's ! for the temp hp and two for the healing in fury. but to each their own
When I run my other build, it is ravager + dlord, and zero tank tree. I can get away with cha stance because pdk. I will be doing a str barb/dlord build next, but am unsure what split of which levels to go.

I think 14barb/6 dlord That gets me 3 bonus feats plus the tactical aura.

FB + dlord + some ravager.

songswrath

When I run my other build, it is ravager + dlord, and zero tank tree. I can get away with cha stance because pdk. I will be doing a str barb/dlord build next, but am unsure what split of which levels to go.

I think 14barb/6 dlord That gets me 3 bonus feats plus the tactical aura.

FB + dlord + some ravager.
I love the ravager cap stone. But man 41 point and getting tier 5 in dl don't leave much for other trees. Like horc your going to want 19 points in that tree.
I was running that cap stone on song pure fighter tank build was a blast made tanks fun to play.

erethizon1

Variants arent about adding new PLs, though. They're about creating new build options - like Welf does with Falchions, e.g. And its very successful using that approach.

Motivation in the game shouldnt only come from power creep, so adding new stats shouldnt be the only thing that validates new build content. And if the only reason you want a new race is because its a means to get another +1 RAP, then that race is a failure - it should be something people want to play for its own sake.
Character improvement is the only thing that drives me. I play DDO and no other games of any type because playing anything else would feel like a waste of time because there is no permanent character advancement in DDO from playing it. Wood Elf is fine, but it's the same, to me, as if they never made it at all. When all the permanent character improvement ends, so ends the game. I don't know if I really see myself coming back just to run 3 new lives when they add them. More than likely, if I ever allow myself to finish all the lives, it will be the day DDO is done for me forever.

I purposely take things slow so as not to finish to quickly. I TR'd last night with 7224 favor even though all I was getting was a single racial past life. Obviously I could have TR'd many thousands of favor prior, but I continued on earning store points to keep the game lasting longer. Not sure I could ever bring myself to bother running a life for only store points because I was already done with all the past lives. This is why I am always happy every time they add more past lives. I don't view them as a grind I have to do, but rather the whole reason to play.

Sarlona Raiding

My thought would be kobold with iconic kobold warlock as I think it fits the year of the dragon theme well. Even though it's Myth Drannor I definitely don't think we need any more elf variants.

LuKaSu

I'm personally guessing Duergar Iconic Dragon Disciple Sorc. The Sorc because we don't have a Sorc iconic yet, and the Duergar because it often seems iconics are made for one class, then assigned a different one to sell +1 hearts.

I *hope* they give Duergar a barbarian iconic, but I'm expecting they get a Sorc one.

To those hoping for Dragon Disciple - if there is a new iconic with Myth Drannor then it can't be Dragon Disciple-specific, as we're getting that as an archtype at the end of Year of the Dragon.

But an iconic generic sorcerer to eventually tie in to that seems like a pretty good bet.

TavernBrawler

Because DL/Fighter doesnt have anything for active defense, like Uncanny dodge. Even with 350 PRR and 150 MRR I was getting smacked in R10s and high reaper raids. Dipping 24 points in the defense tree bulks you up with HP and additional CON. I am running around with 4000 HP in non-reaper and 5200 in reaper which means I don't die in every other corner.