Thinking about making a 2nd account, thoughts?

wolfdy

Im Thinking about making a 2nd account (actualy a have an abandonned one i'll check first) and use the cupom on it, main reason beeing i despise reaper no re-enter and healing(specialy self healing) reduced mechanic from the bottom on my heart and i'll prob make a bard to buff me with sustain song and raise me in case i fck up

How can this backfire on me? any ideias?

I dont own much of the newer content, actualy i think i dont own anything thats not in the cupon and on sale atm aside from feywild quests

Last edited:

rabidfox

The People's Champion
It works well, I have a 2nd account I use as an opener and occasionally as a buff bard or trapper setup when leveling. I don't run it often as dualboxing is a pain to me, but for occasional use I enjoy it. Be sure to grind out favor for DDO points and grab the 4x 99 point expansions while they're available for that price too.

vryxnr

Hi.

(disclaimer: I multibox. I have 6 accounts, so I can be a full party of myself if I wanted to)

The one thing to remember when dual-boxing or multi-boxing, is that SSG has a policy with DDO that this is OK so long as you are actively controlling each alt / are at the keyboard and your keystrokes result in the movement.

Thus, using a "bot" (software) to control the alt for you is bad.

If you are simply parking them at the entrance of a quest to give you bard buffs, this is fine.
If you are moving them one at a time so both of you can loot, this is fine (you can also kill the alt and take their soulstone to the end and rez them for chests there)
There are some multiboxing programs out there that are ok, but they come with the caveat that in DDO you are still the one controlling them, not the software.

Awesome-AF autofollow is used by many, but it is (imo) risky due to how it achieves it's auto follow. If you use it to follow yourself, it is still you making keyboard presses to move both characters, and is thus OK. However, this program does this by mimicking a target, and you can theoretically target a player other than yourself. If you do this, this is a violation of DDO's ToS and could get you banned (as you can now walk away from your keyboard and your character will be moving based on something other than you).

ISBoxer is a paid for boxing program that has a shared keyboard feature, this allows you to have key presses from one keyboard affect all linked characters. This is (afaik) OK in DDO.

Not sure about other programs.

The safest thing, of course, is no program, and just control each account/character one at a time.

Br4d

I have 4 alt accounts, each with a tomed out main, Bard, Rogue, Cleric and Fighter. What I discovered upon playing them is that they add too much time to the instances to be effective for fast leveling. If I am farming an item and do not care about time they are great.

I also play the alt Bard account solo for fun because Bards are a *lot* of fun.

Lazuli

I say the same as Rabidfox. I have a second account and sometimes I use it as an opener, buffer and to farm certain things.

But I don't use it normally.

First, I only use it when alone or when I play with my BF or my brother (I find inconsiderate to use it with other people, and I also prefer real players).

Second, I don't enjoy duaboxing, I find it annoying.

Third, Keeping it updated is a pain. I don't spend money on that second account, so all the purchases are made with points earned by playing. And playing like this is expensive in points, believe me. So this account does not have the most recent content.

somenewnoob

So I've got a solo guild, so have 5 alt accounts for the best renown bonus, and I've got FIVE bard bots! :p

There is no way this can backfire, bards are freaking awesome. A bard bot is leaps and bounds better than having a hire. The coupon and 99tp expansions mean you can get them a lot of content and they can join you on a lot of stuff. DO IT.

Enoach

When the first coupon code years ago dropped, I created a second account for similar reasons and to run a comparable character with my son who also used that code. Today, that character is a completionist (piked mostly), he is working on getting some epic lives as I have a few characters that need support at that level now. But buffs, and support, or even to get traps for bonus. Or just to run fast to the next shrine.

FaustianBargain

Not much to add except to emphasize the time tradeoff; in particular some of the quests far into wilderness zones can be quite annoying and you’re very conscious of your XP boosts ticking down. Depending on your other motivations and gear needs, it’s a great way to double your chances at named gear which might be worth the time trade.

A Shadow Crypt opener almost makes a second account worthwhile by itself because of how good that XP is.

Lazuli

Not much to add except to emphasize the time tradeoff; in particular some of the quests far into wilderness zones can be quite annoying and you’re very conscious of your XP boosts ticking down. Depending on your other motivations and gear needs, it’s a great way to double your chances at named gear which might be worth the time trade.

A Shadow Crypt opener almost makes a second account worthwhile by itself because of how good that XP is.
This. All true, the good and the bad.

I used the follower from ddo helper, but I stopped using it when it broke for me. Probably one of these days I'll see if I can get it working again. This helped to cross the wilderness, but even so I have never liked dualbox, I find that it slows down a lot.

Investing once in the store, even the minimum, is almost mandatory to obtain the premium account. After there, if you are patient, you don't need to invest more. I emphasize patience.

canicus

I multibox on occasion and openers can be very helpful. Having a second toon can be very helpful. I am using one to get through a class life I don't particularly enjoy. All that said, it does take longer. So I would not in any way call it "backfire" there is a trade off.

droid327

If nothing else, its worth it just to have a Shadow Crypt opener every life without having to do the godawful flagging quests for that

I also find it useful for quick complete/abandon/share farming for items in quests

That's about all I use it for...its more hassle than its worth trying to multibox a buffbardbot for Heroic

vryxnr

For me, the time issue is ... not so straight forward or one sided.

If you control your boxes one at a time and also move all your alternate selves up to every fight, yes, it's going to take forever.

If, however, you main one character, clear everything, and then move up as needed to loot share with yourself, then imo its not that bad comparatively speaking (especially if you use 2 pieces of uncleansed LGS or something to kill and carry soulstones).

For myself, I sometimes run 6 at once. Regarding gear farming, I could solo run a quest 6 times. Or I can solo it once, only having to fight everything once, and run up 5 more times. This will take less time than running it 6 times, as the fighting only happens once. The end result is still 6 lootings of the end chest in both scenarios. So in that case, boxing is "faster" then solo if the end goal is farming loot. Obviously grouping with a full party of 6 real people is faster, but then you're dealing with people (and I've had people join farming runs, get the desired item, leave it in the chest unclaimed, and laugh about screwing over the one looking for that loot then leave. yes, seriously), and sometimes you don't want to deal with others.

For leveling, lets just take going from 20-30 (an epic reincarnation). Taking real life/work/etc into account, when I'm soloing my main only, it takes me on average 1 week to do this. When I box all 6 of my accounts (after an epic reinc on all of them), it takes me about 2 weeks to get them all back to cap while running them at the same time. I do not use software, so I move all of me around one at a time. Given that if I was soloing each one it would take 1 week each (6 weeks total), while 2 weeks is twice as long for my main, it's 1/3rd the time for all of them (of course, when leveling, I don't run them to the end for loot unless it's worth it for sentient exp or a chance for reaper loot upgrades). So that extra time is what moving to each quest and running through wildernesses without teleports adds (for me at least). So overall when considering all of them together, it's faster. But when compared to what one does if they are ONLY concerned about their main character, it is slower.

Of course, I like my boxes to be build well enough that if I needed or wanted to main as them for a while, I could. Now, gearing up so many characters is a fair amount of effort, so I understand that is not for everyone.

Matuse

5 loot goblins and your main is great for getting drops, sentient food, collectibles. It's also nice to be able to drag along someone who can do buffs that your main build can't.

It's generally not practical to control that many. DDO is much too active for it to work well, but you can do things like auralocks or Inquisitive builds with autoattack turned on where the alts can do some amount of contribution. And yes, it does slow down the per-quest completion time to have to control those extra characters. Even with some kind of auto-follow, there are pieces of the game which you need to take over control for - tall walls to jump, ladders to climb, swimming sections, things like that. Heck, even looting the chests takes notably longer.

I have 6 accounts, mostly for the purpose of getting the largest guild size bonus on earned renown. But it is sometimes useful to be able to bring the alts out for stuff other than existing.

Bracelet

I have multiple accounts. Two accts have toons that are well-geared and able to open shadow crypt and others. They also have the good expansions (MotU, Sharn, Ravenloft) from various sales. Three are just coupon accounts. Bear in mind that coupon accounts dont get iconics. This means you will have to manually level toons if you want them to help pull heroic items. This can be _quite_ tedious.

Sheikra

Im Thinking about making a 2nd account (actualy a have an abandonned one i'll check first) and use the cupom on it, main reason beeing i despise reaper no re-enter and healing(specialy self healing) reduced mechanic from the bottom on my heart and i'll prob make a bard to buff me with sustain song and raise me in case i fck up

I dont own much of the newer content, actualy i think i dont own anything thats not in the cupon and on sale atm aside from feywild quests
Sounds like a headache, but can't be worse than a hirling, right? 😂

bookmarked

It's generally not practical to control that many. DDO is much too active for it to work well, but you can do things like auralocks or Inquisitive builds with autoattack turned on where the alts can do some amount of contribution.
Not to derail the thread, but I'm curious about builds (Inquisitive, auralock, or other) that would work well for this. Are there any posted somewhere?

Thanks.

popejubal

Now's the time to do it.

I'm very glad I have a second account. Even if you just park your alt at the entrance, you can still do some fun things with a genuine extra party member that hirelings can't do.