Thoughts on new forum aesthetics?

Oliphant

What do people think about the way the forum threads look now?

Here are some observations I have about the main landing page.
  • Forum seems to be narrower, higher contrast, very bold fonts, very squared off.
  • Feels a bit more stock, like a user built thing on a general site that serves up pages.
  • New format probably a tad more accessible for visually impaired users due to more contrast.
  • Fonts seem too big compared to the UI elements boxing them.
My take:
  • Prefer a lower contrast between background text similar to the old forums, but perhaps consider accessibility and find a middle ground.
  • Prefer wider window like the old forums, a slightly less bold font.
  • I'd vote generally for default aesthetics more similar to old forums.

Upvote 0

Oliphant

I'd prefer the background color of the text region in the center of threads to match the bookends. Currently the text region is charcoal (dark) and the bookends are light grey. Wish it were one color in between the two.

Memnir

I'm not really a fan of the new digs, for many of the same reasons. But, I don't think I really get a vote - so c'est la vie I suppose.

tsotate

I'm just happy the forums are finally usable on mobile without constant scrolling back and forth. Shame that the dark grey on light grey block with the poster name is basically unreadable in dark mode, though.

It's also a bit weird that they don't implement lots of the things XenForo supports, like adjustable font sizes (for reading, rather than posting).

saekee

long live ROGUE
I'm just happy the forums are finally usable on mobile without constant scrolling back and forth. Shame that the dark grey on light grey block with the poster name is basically unreadable in dark mode, though.
this, and I agree with the OP. I do not like the background image or Font. Is there someway to adjust it?

Buddha5440

Ah, sounds like the narrower text area helps with phone viewing, that's good.
You do realize it's not a "phone" that you are viewing it on but a mobile computer with more computational power than what was used to put men on the moon?

Aelonwy

It feels very cluttered somehow. I don't like that... however, it also seems like some of the clutter is buttons for all the extra features.

I still want some separate listing of just MY threads in the "Your content" feature. I don't want to see every post I've ever written when I'm just explicitly looking for the threads I've started. The old forums had both, all my posts, just my threads. I really want that convenience back.

MrDorak

It's definitely an upgrade over the old one but I didn't like some of the style and found some visual bugs and so did a few other people, which is why I made a quick custom style (link in my signature if you want to check it out) to fix those issues.

Last edited:

TavernTails

Tuesday Trivia Host on DDOstream
My only suggestion is to PLEASE get rid of the giant signatures that some people are using. When trying to read messages, some of them take up the majority of real estate. Do. Not. Want. We had plenty of space on the old forums, and I think it should be equivocal here.

Zillee

My only suggestion is to PLEASE get rid of the giant signatures that some people are using. When trying to read messages, some of them take up the majority of real estate. Do. Not. Want. We had plenty of space on the old forums, and I think it should be equivocal here.
Agreed. I've just turned signatures off because it was becoming annoying having to scroll past the large signatures to read a thread.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
e6JFcnE.png

The color choices for when there's multiple pages are next to impossible to read.

Alluvion

I like it so far. Hopefully some of the updated build or appropriate old forum info can be linked soon,