Tolero: Forgotten Realms content for next 3 years please!

DilemmaEnder

Thelanis Player
lol, I did say I like other worlds and Dragonlance is certainly a world I enjoy. FR is still my favorite.
I'm right there with you PALAD....uh Fizban.

Forgotten Realms is my favorite,
Dragonlance is my second favorite,
Ravenloft & associated lands is Third,
and long lost and barely seen Birthright setting is my fourth.
After those it's just anything D&D related,
followed by other Fantasy settings.

Fizban

I'm right there with you PALAD....uh Fizban.

Forgotten Realms is my favorite,
Dragonlance is my second favorite,
Ravenloft & associated lands is Third,
and long lost and barely seen Birthright setting is my fourth.
After those it's just anything D&D related,
followed by other Fantasy settings.
Nice, I think you and I are close in order of preference.
  1. Forgotten Realms
  2. Dragonlance
  3. Ravenloft
  4. Greyhawk
  5. Ebberon
  6. All other D&D worlds would fall here.

Uska

Founder
My preference is
1. Kingdoms of Kalamar
2. Greyhawk
3. eberron
I loathe the realms
as to Dragonlance and Darksun they should be their own worlds with special rules so should Ravenloft but never cared for it which is kind of weird since I’m a horror movie buff and actor (1 really bad movie) and got married in Transylvania to a girl from there

Brakkart

My preference would have to be:

1. Forgotten Realms (including Kara-Tur and Zakhara/Al-Qadim)
2. Greyhawk
3. Ravenloft
4. Mystara (including Hollow World and Savage Coast)
5. Planescape
6. Dark Sun
7. Masque of the Red Death
8. every other setting except Eberron (including Birthright, Spelljammer, Jakandor and also 3rd party ones like Scarred Lands, Kalamar and Freeport)
9. Eberron

Last edited:

Fizban

My preference is
1. Kingdoms of Kalamar
2. Greyhawk
3. eberron
I loathe the realms
as to Dragonlance and Darksun they should be their own worlds with special rules so should Ravenloft but never cared for it which is kind of weird since I’m a horror movie buff and actor (1 really bad movie) and got married in Transylvania to a girl from there
Your wish has been granted, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, and Ravenloft are their own worlds.

Notadrizztvariant

No, it is great that you have a world you prefer over others. IF FR isn't your favoroite world fine, I support you. But in an effort to promote your preference so many to include you feel like the best way to do this is to criticise the world that most other D&D players prefer, FR.

Lile what you like, and I'll like what I like, FR.
So in essence, I can like my thing, but when you want to change it into the thing you like, I have to keep my mouth shut about that thing because you like it, got it.

Not to mention your reply did not make any sense because I have not voiced a single criticsim of FR in this thread, but I will happily do now.

FR started out as the most trite, stale and clichéd generic fantasy setting imaginable, certainly the main contender among all D&D settings. In the latter years, they started throwing more and more convoluted messes at it for "dramatic effect". It still is a trite, stale, clichéd generic fantasy setting, only now also a convoluted mess where consequnces and death matter about as much as in Marvel comics. Some things the setting had going were admittingly cool, but they turned everything of that, you guessed it, stale and trite, by overusing it again and again and again. See, I do not have to show respect to some game world just because you like it... seriously, what a concept.

FR started out as the most trite, stale and clichéd generic fantasy setting imaginable, certainly the main contender among all D&D settings. In the latter years, they started throwing more and more convoluted messes at it for "dramatic effect". It still is a trite, stale, clichéd generic fantasy setting, only now also a convoluted mess where consequnces and death matter about as much as in Marvel comics. Some things the setting had going were admittingly cool, but they turned everything of that, you guessed it, stale and trite, by overusing it again and again and again. See, I do not have to show respect to some game world just because you like it... seriously, what a concept.

... joining this thread rather late.

The Forgotten Realms drew upon the fantasy of the day when it was first developed; consequently, from a perspective nearly 40 years later, it certainly does seem cliched. But I've enjoyed going back to all the 2nd Ed. content, with so many contributors going off in so many different directions. It is unfortunate, perhaps, that Wizards precluded continued development from the D&D community when they "reintroduced" the realms in the 3.0/3.5 editions. As much as I remain a fan of Forgotten Realms, a lot of the content published under these editions too often seem "trite and stale" by comparison with the 2nd Edition content. As for the 4th Edition of the Forgotten Realms, as far as I'm concerned, it exists only as a fleeting dream in the mind of Our of Lady of the Mists.

Notadrizztvariant

... joining this thread rather late.

The Forgotten Realms drew upon the fantasy of the day when it was first developed; consequently, from a perspective nearly 40 years later, it certainly does seem cliched. But I've enjoyed going back to all the 2nd Ed. content, with so many contributors going off in so many different directions. It is unfortunate, perhaps, that Wizards precluded continued development from the D&D community when they "reintroduced" the realms in the 3.0/3.5 editions. As much as I remain a fan of Forgotten Realms, a lot of the content published under these editions too often seem "trite and stale" by comparison with the 2nd Edition content. As for the 4th Edition of the Forgotten Realms, as far as I'm concerned, it exists only as a fleeting dream in the mind of Our of Lady of the Mists.
I don't know, of cause I was exceptionally harsh to make a point against Fizban, but I always felt FR startet out as a copycat of LOTR and that the early creators were great as system designers, but not so much as world builders or storytellers.

Fizban

So in essence, I can like my thing, but when you want to change it into the thing you like, I have to keep my mouth shut about that thing because you like it, got it.

Not to mention your reply did not make any sense because I have not voiced a single criticsim of FR in this thread, but I will happily do now.
This is not what I said. Some folks have a tendancy to dinegrate others prefereces at times with their choices or preferences. For me I want as many D&D quests, worlds and all other D&D stuff in DDO. I support anyones choices that push ahead D&D stuff and will never insult those preferences. But the small percentage of folks that don't like FR say things like "because it is the most popular it doesn't mean it's the best". Well, that is a VERY subjective quote as those that like FR believe it is the best world and it is for those folks.

Enjoy and promote your preferrences but keep in mind it is just your preference.

Aelonwy

I guess my family enjoys:
  • Greyhawk
  • Forgotten Realms
  • Ravenloft
  • Planescape
  • Eberron
  • Dragonlance
...in that order.

We mainly play in homebrew that would fit well in Greyhawk or low magic area of Faerun. We really enjoyed both Planescape and Ravenloft PnP but haven't spent as much time in either as the top one. Dragonlance was very brief but enjoyable 6 week mini-adventure.

I played only one Darksun campaign and hated it. I played Spelljammer only briefly and can't really form an opinion on so short an experience. Never really tried Mystara although it has been discussed as an option at our gaming sessions.