Umoria - a free roguelike game by Robert Alan Koeneke

Livmo

Robert Alan Koeneke ~ November 20, 1957July 15, 2022

Umoria can be downloaded or played here, https://umoria.org/

Other relevant versions and links:

Moria-2.jpg

I still haven't defeated the Balrog, yet.

Last edited:

Bjond

Ah, that's an old one -- much more fun than rogue & hack which were basically got spinach, go finish for the win. No spinach? Find some. I recall something about Claymores being the top weapon due to damage & attack rate. Always fun when you kill the B, which was far from assured.

Vorpal Bunnies I'm not so sure about; maybe nethack for those?

DYWYPI

NetHack (vanilla version) doesn't have any rabbits... I do generally compete in The November NetHack Tournament. SLASH'EM does have some rabbits https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Rabid_rabbit, but not as a special "rabbit" based level https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Mazes_of_Menace.

Fun fact: In book, I co-authored (2011) covering the complex topic of: TCP/IP.
Telnet

Telnet is usually referred to as a terminal emulation program, which enables you to run interactive commands on a remote Telnet server. Please be aware that many people often confuse the Telnet protocol with the telnet client.
[...]
If you fancy playing a game of NetHack/SLASH’EM, you can easily type in commands and play a Dungeons-&-Dragons-like adventure, using your keyboard to move your player character within a graphical dungeon (but don’t expect mindblowing 3D graphics!). ...
I mentioned NetHack and SLASH'EM, when discussing Telnet (see above).

misterski

Ah, that's an old one -- much more fun than rogue & hack which were basically got spinach, go finish for the win. No spinach? Find some. I recall something about Claymores being the top weapon due to damage & attack rate. Always fun when you kill the B, which was far from assured.

Vorpal Bunnies I'm not so sure about; maybe nethack for those?
Oh no, not vorpal bunnies. There was a level that could spawn in the later floors that was a big rectangle that starts with several rabbits. Rabbits breed like..well...rabbits. Every step or action you took to the stairs down caused the rabbits to reproduce, eventually filling the room and stopping your progress.

I believe it was Moria and Angband took it to 11 by introducing monsters that could summon monsters that could also summon monsters....etc. Levels filled up very quickly.,

Last edited:

Livmo

is there a link on how to play it? This is a great game for kids

There should be a help command in each version that lists all the actions. I checked and the command is "?" for the Umoria version that can be played at Play Umoria Online:

gOrIBqB.png

EDIT ~ I have Num Lock on and use the keypad to move around.

Last edited:

Livmo

Oh no, not vorpal bunnies. There was a level that could spawn in the later floors that was a big rectangle that starts with several rabbits. Rabbits breed like..well...rabbits. Every step or action you took to the stairs down caused the rabbits to reproduce, eventually filling the room and stopping your progress.

I believe it was Moria and Angband took it to 11 by introducing monsters that could summon monsters that could also summon monsters....etc. Levels filled up very quickly.,
Correct you want to farm them with polymorph. Before they get too out of control, polymorph. Be mindful of your charges and the liches.

You can farm the bunnies, ickies, and lice by polymorhing them into other baddies. Dragons give the best loot. Polymorph for dragons after spawning enough goop.

Pro tip ~ It's very easy to die. What I did back in the day, and still do on my emulator is to place a copy of your character save file in another location, i.e. directory. When you die in game your file is immediately wiped. Restore from your backup.

Also you can find other people's old character data files and use them as well ; )

Last edited: