Update 63 Preview 2: Card of Curse Cleansing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunklezhan

I think we should be able to direct farm for stuff like this, and the upcoming cleansing item. How about putting the cleansing item on a saga list, such as the Morgrave saga list?

Or instead of a rare chance to appear anywhere, how about adding them as a reasonable drop rate in specific chests?
Yeah without changes like this I'll be encouraging my static group NOT to use the deck of curses unless they're truly happy with it being a non- or even counter-productive effect. Certainly will be warning them about adding it to named items. Use the decks on on lootgen only, assuming they can be used on lootgen, otherwise avoid unless you are happy risking the potential ruination of your gear or the spending of money in the store.

They could also let you choose from a category of effects rather than the master list so that you can at least say 'I want something that directly affects melee combat' or 'i want something from the caster list'. Sure you can still get threat amplification when you want reduction on your stabby rogue, but at least you'd not going to end up with spellpower or +1 Wisdom.

But whilst the curses can still be deleterious - and they should be, or it's not a deck of curses - and fixing them basically requires the store or the farming of a whole fresh item this is a gambling route for lootgen and easy-farm named items only. Or whales.

I mean let's face it, this is nakedly the gambling loot box your momma warned you about. As such I absolutely do not expect the system to be implemented equitably because that's the opposite of the point of the system. That's not me saying 'SSG are bad evil corporate types bwah ha ha' - just recognising that the reality is this:

- As with all gambling: the odds are stacked in favour of the house
- DO NOT PLAY with the gambling unless you can afford to lose.

Which is the reason I avoid such systems. Silver/Gold rolls are as far as I go, and never, ever ever would I spend Astral Shards on a reroll of those or chest loot, cos those are over my comfort line. This is too.

Vox

Don't understand.

If you listen to Cord's stream today he definitely said there were common,uncommon, and rare cards.

I believe what was supposed to be communicated is that the applied effect is common,uncommon, and rare. Not the cards picked up to complete a deck.

Last edited:

Elminster

I believe what was supposed to be communicated is that the applied effect is common,uncommon, and rare. Not the cards picked up to complete a deck.

The thing is I saw that stream and the problem there is they (SSG) is trying to sell this as if it's like just a minor "have fun" kinda addition to your gear and not meant to be anything "essential".

Then they add something like "Curse of Divine Fortune" which turns ANY weapon into a Favored Weapon and if that's not enough you get +4 PRR +1 to Saves +1% to all absorption. It's crazy OP.

Things like Unparalled Might where you get +6 strength with any action boost is incredibly powerful.

Basically, with the fact that these curses can be added to every single inventory slot item. This itemization system is more powerful than the sentient item system.

In a word, mandatory.

CBDunk

Basically, with the fact that these curses can be added to every single inventory slot item. This itemization system is more powerful than the sentient item system.

No.

Max Fortune BonusMax Filigree Bonus
Abilities (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Cha, Wis)+2+18
Saves (Fort, Ref, Will)+2+6, +8, +12
MRR/PRR+5+69/+86
Spell DCs+1 (each)+15 (all) & up to +4 higher for some
Spell Power+10 Universal & +5 Acid/Cold/Elec/Fire+132 Universal / up to +164 for some
Melee/Ranged Power+5+80/+95

Et cetera.

It is not even close... even before considering that you can freely change, re-arrange, and have multiple copies of filigree items for a tiny fraction of the effort that just one optimized set of fortune gear will take to assemble.

Yes, there are a handful of fortune effects (e.g. make a weapon favored) that you cannot get from filigrees... and many more (e.g. zero spell point cost for 10 seconds) that are available from filigrees but not as fortune bonuses.

Many of the arguments against this system have gone from unfounded (e.g. 'cleansers will be in the store!') to hyperbolic to now just plain false.

Elminster

No.

Max Fortune BonusMax Filigree Bonus
Abilities (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Cha, Wis)+2+18
Saves (Fort, Ref, Will)+2+6, +8, +12
MRR/PRR+5+69/+86
Spell DCs+1 (each)+15 (all) & up to +4 higher for some
Spell Power+10 Universal & +5 Acid/Cold/Elec/Fire+132 Universal / up to +164 for some
Melee/Ranged Power+5+80/+95

Et cetera.

It is not even close... even before considering that you can freely change, re-arrange, and have multiple copies of filigree items for a tiny fraction of the effort that just one optimized set of fortune gear will take to assemble.

Yes, there are a handful of fortune effects (e.g. make a weapon favored) that you cannot get from filigrees... and many more (e.g. zero spell point cost for 10 seconds) that are available from filigrees but not as fortune bonuses.

Many of the arguments against this system have gone from unfounded (e.g. 'cleansers will be in the store!') to hyperbolic to now just plain false.

We'll see.

But I'm willing to bet this is going to be mandatory to the point people will start whining about how unfair it all is in a few months. Some of these effects are nutty and can be acquired nowhere else. An extra +3 DC is MASSIVE. Turning any weapon into a favored one is holy grail levels of *I need it*.

Overall, this will in the end just add power to the 1% of players who really don't need anymore power and it'll further push them to release more difficult content. As Strimtom said many many times the Devs have a tendency to "balance" content on the bleeding edge of what is achievable.

This is gonna SUCK for a lot of current players and new players trying out the game will be like:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

I dont Like gimps

We'll see.

But I'm willing to bet this is going to be mandatory to the point people will start whining about how unfair it all is in a few months. Some of these effects are nutty and can be acquired nowhere else. An extra +3 DC is MASSIVE. Turning any weapon into a favored one is holy grail levels of *I need it*.

Overall, this will in the end just add power to the 1% of players who really don't need anymore power and it'll further push them to release more difficult content. As Strimtom said many many times the Devs have a tendency to "balance" content on the bleeding edge of what is achievable.

This is gonna SUCK for a lot of current players and new players trying out the game will be like:

giphy.gif
Its funny how u bring up valid points and aim to talk for the 99% yet in the same thread u also shitpost and troll
the duality of elminster xd

legendtoof

Feedback: I think 95% of the time or more user will have a bad experience of the cursed deck. User will get the same stat or wrong stat for wrong character. The effects aren't that powerful to "build" around anyways. Just something that pokes u in the eye. One of the good mechanics of the game is the tr system which allows u to play different play styles, for me this system feel contra that.
Also one negative thing with this that might have been forseen, is sharing of already gotten raid items. Lets say I got a raid item already, but with wrong card buff. Do I wanne give my raid item away or take the same item and have another card buff shot at it? The powercreep in me would probably take the raid item. In the end this will lead to less sharing of raid items.. which is not good for casual players.

My point of view:
Make the buff a choice from a list or..
Make the cleansing more available eg by turn in some cards/remenants.

Ying

5000+ hours played
All this theorycraft about getting +3 DCs to spells is laughable. This system is a grind within a grind. By the time you farm enough cards to get those bonuses on your gear, assuming you spend the $$$ for the cleansers, then your gear will be outdated. Rinse and repeat. It's no different than the reaper frag system, except at least that is deterministic.

Elminster

All this theorycraft about getting +3 DCs to spells is laughable. This system is a grind within a grind. By the time you farm enough cards to get those bonuses on your gear, assuming you spend the $$$ for the cleansers, then your gear will be outdated. Rinse and repeat. It's no different than the reaper frag system, except at least that is deterministic.

Noone apart from the fattest of whales will utilize this system.

It's an absolute scam that preys upon an MMO gamer's latent susceptibility to gambling degeneracy.

Last edited:

CBDunk

Noone apart from the fattest of whales will utilize this system.

It's an absolute scam that preys upon an MMO gamer's latent susceptiility to gambling degeneracy.

I disagree.

Everyone will utilize this system... to get random effects which may or may not be useful.
No one, not even whales, will be able to optimize gear with this system.

Which... appears to be exactly what the developers intended.

Elminster

I disagree.

Everyone will utilize this system... to get random effects which may or may not be useful.
No one, not even whales, will be able to optimize gear with this system.

Which... appears to be exactly what the developers intended.

Maybe. But then, I don't see real longevity with the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.