Update 66 Preview 1 - Tooltip Overhaul

Altra

Tonquin, While you're in the tooltips:
As a new player, I couldn't figure out *** I was doing wrong with potions.
It says, target player, then drink to buff them (or heal, whatever) there's even one that comes with a funnel for unconscious players.
I know that if it doesn't work by now, it's not gonna. Can you please change these tooltips to reflect that potions are self only?

Fnordian

Honestly.
You've come up to the vendor and said "show me lvl 3 scrolls !". What level of the inscription materials would you need, I wonder ?! 🙄 Yeah, yeah, the biggest mystery in the Universe.
Ha ha. :) I'm not talking about the ones I purchase from a vendor and then immediately inscribe. It's the ones I find in chests (especially if they aren't available at the vendors) or ones another player passes to me, or if for any reason I don't end up inscribing them right away.

Also, remember that spell inscription materials often aren't sold at the same vendor as the scrolls themselves. So I may be purchasing several levels worth of scrolls and then go and buy inscription materials later.

Last edited:

Altra

Ha ha. :) I'm not talking about the ones I purchase from a vendor and then immediately inscribe. It's the ones I find in chests (especially if they aren't available at the vendors) or ones another player passes to me, or if for any reason I don't end up inscribing them right away.

Also, remember that spell inscription materials often aren't sold at the same vendor as the scrolls themselves. So I may be purchasing several levels worth of scrolls and then go and buy inscription materials later.
^^^
This right here.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Tonquin, While you're in the tooltips:
As a new player, I couldn't figure out *** I was doing wrong with potions.
It says, target player, then drink to buff them (or heal, whatever) there's even one that comes with a funnel for unconscious players.
I know that if it doesn't work by now, it's not gonna. Can you please change these tooltips to reflect that potions are self only?
They've been broken for targeting others ever since shifter came out in 2020 when they made potions usable while raged. I'm sure at some level the devs would like to someday make it work both while rage and on others, but until then, yeah, they should update the tooltip like you want.

Blunt Hackett

I realize I'm a little late to the party, but I have a couple of requests that I'd at least like on your radar:

1) Timers for Artificer Spells. It's hard to pay attention when you need to rebuff yourself if you don't know how long is left.
2) Timers for summons, both spell and clicky (same as above, but we don't get any icon when we cast summons so a bit different).

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
1) Timers for Artificer Spells. It's hard to pay attention when you need to rebuff yourself if you don't know how long is left.
2) Timers for summons, both spell and clicky (same as above, but we don't get any icon when we cast summons so a bit different).

1. I keep thinking just a blank does nothing timer set to the same time as the arti buff? Arti casts enchant weapon for 5 minutes, it goes on the weapon, so you can't see the time remaining? Just have a buff cast on the holder of the weapon at the same time, it does nothing but starts a countdown for 5 minutes mirroring the arti buff time. Boom! Problem solved!

2. I could see the summons getting a DEBUFF, so it's easier to see, that simply lists the time remaining on their summoning...

Blunt Hackett

1. I keep thinking just a blank does nothing timer set to the same time as the arti buff? Arti casts enchant weapon for 5 minutes, it goes on the weapon, so you can't see the time remaining? Just have a buff cast on the holder of the weapon at the same time, it does nothing but starts a countdown for 5 minutes mirroring the arti buff time. Boom! Problem solved!

2. I could see the summons getting a DEBUFF, so it's easier to see, that simply lists the time remaining on their summoning...
Right now I have Elemental Weapons, Lucky Cape, and Armor of Speed going regularly. I often miss Armor of Speed because it is 2 minutes, 48 seconds while the other two buffs are 9 minutes. If they were all the same time, it wouldn't matter much. Regardless, I'm not constantly mousing over my armor, cloak, and weapon to see how much time is remaining. It would be a huge QoL improvement to have the timer on their buff icons as well.

Summons are a little less priority because I usually see them disappear, especially if it's the Chaos Beholder. But sometimes it is just hard to tell, especially if they are summons that hide (even with high spot, they're easy to miss). Casting a 5 minute spell could work if I'm on a character with a 5 minute spell, but if I'm using my Shard of Xoriat I could be casting on any class which may not even have a 5 minute buff or even a longer timer I can subtract 5 minutes from.

It's just some QoL improvements that would help a ton, especially the Artificer spells.

Ellisaria

I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss this one, but for Vistani, "Blessed Blades" and "Vendetta" buffs overwrite each other, but there is no mention in the tooltips that they are mutually exclusive. Could this be clarified in the tips if they are supposed to be mutually exclusive (or fixed if they aren't supposed to overwrite each other)?

Vendetta.jpg

Blessed_Blades.jpg

Danko

With reclassifying destinies as hybrid, caster, martial, etc there’s an unintended halo effect with Alchemist Sanctified Vial. This spell is in a weird place. It was introduced before the U51 destiny revamp. Now that the game is moving another step away from ‘spheres’, it’s getting left behind.

At a minimum the tooltip needs to include the specific destinies that allow it to function instead of referring to ‘divine’. Divine Crusader is a ‘martial’ tree now, so it’s not clear if it still qualifies. Ideally, the class or destiny requirement simply gets eliminated/simplified like Khyber crystal spell ingredients were for Trap the Soul. Make ‘holy water’ a component available for purchase from a vendor.

Oliphant

For future updates, consider taking further the improvements to the character sheet. Very helpful to get more info, especially the '+' panel, but seems like there are character details that are missing, and stats are displayed as totals without full itemization. More stat types and full itemization would be amazing. For example, hover over your STR and it shows a full breakdown like 14 enchancement, 6 insightful, 3 quality, 3 artifact, 7 filigree, 4 Feydark Illusionist etc. Or you hover over your heal amp value and it shows your heal amp sources.

Lazuli

Just a thought.
Would it be possible to put UMD required on scrolls and wands? Sorry, I meant Spell Level. I was confused (like always)

Thanks

I agree. What she says is if you could add to the scrolls the spell level to know what inscription component to use in the case of casters with spellbook.

Right now you see artificer UMD 12 and you have to know that it is a level 5 spell that requires a level 5 inscription mat. That is very confusing for new ones. Adding the spell level next to the necessary UMD [Example: UMD artificer 12 (spell level 5)] could make it much clearer.
Although what is really needed is to reduce all the inscription components to one, and spend as many as the spell level. Which makes a lot of sense if you think that in pnp these components are special inks and that all pages always cost 100 gp to register, the only difference is that a higher level spell requires more pages.

This would make it unnecessary to modify the scroll tooltips, and would be an even bigger QoL change since it would be the game that would automatically discount the number of components used.

Ordering spell mats from vendors was a big QoL change, as would this one. Although I suppose that would require much more development time.

LeoLionxxx

Lion of Orien
I'd like to see some separation between an ability's cost and the ability's effect. In an example like this, my eyes gloss over the bullet points because in my mind stuff at the top describes what I need to get the ability, and then below is the effect. In this case, I had to do a double take and wonder "but what does it do?" after just reading "End the hunt with a single, decisive shot".

I think just a one line space after the Destiny point cost would help. In this example, it also feels like the Cooldown should be above the effect, so that the effect is more closely grouped with the text describing what it does.

S5dPOnE.png