VIP value and new content

Onyxia2016

It's simple, If you feel you are not getting value out of it don't pay for VIP but at the same time do not complain or belittle other that disagree with your assessment.

I find value in it and will continue to pay for VIP for three accounts. If/when some additional perks are added, I will be grateful.

somenewnoob

It's simple, If you feel you are not getting value out of it don't pay for VIP but at the same time do not complain or belittle other that disagree with your assessment.

I find value in it and will continue to pay for VIP for three accounts. If/when some additional perks are added, I will be grateful.

People are trying to find ways for them to make VIP worth the cost. They aren't complaining or belittling anybody.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
It is good that you like it. But do you really think it is good that SSG prioritize updating 13 years old content instead of making new quests?
I think Fizban is not wrong. SSG does need to strike a balance on new AND old content and that's the challenge for them. Most likely they will make someone unhappy if they focus on one or the other (damned if you do, damned if you don't).

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
do you really think it is good that SSG prioritize updating 13 years old content instead of making new quests?
Look, no long time ago in that same forum people was asking to SSG update/revamp Tangleroot Gorge, its more than 13years old content. Same people was complaining about the level range of Vecna Unleashed, the newest content released. Also in this same forum people was (still is) mad that Sealed in Amber in being revamped (again!).

I think is good SSG prioritize DDO period. I will be concerned when they enter in maintanence mode.

somenewnoob

Look, no long time ago in that same forum people was asking to SSG update/revamp Tangleroot Gorge, its more than 13years old content. Same people was complaining about the level range of Vecna Unleashed, the newest content released. Also in this same forum people was (still is) mad that Sealed in Amber in being revamped (again!).

I think is good SSG prioritize DDO period. I will be concerned when they enter in maintanence mode.

Should they revamp old content or work on new?

The answer, is yes.

But I understand COMPLETELY where the OP is coming from. New Adventure Packs for VIP's has been glaringly lacking the last few years. (As I knew it would when they introduced the Season Pass thing and started the whole mini-expansion trend). And I don't have a dog in the fight, because I no longer sub.

But at the same time, I also like the legendary versions of droam. And was decidedly on the PRO REVAMP side of the Tangelroot thread because I think it would make a great mid epic chain which lacks content.

So which do I want.......BOTH!!

Tbh though, I think the adventure pack days........I think that ship has just about sailed. We might get maybe one a year if we're lucky. The rest is going to be expansions and mini-expansions. Which is another reason VIP needs some love, because "access to all adventure packs" really doesn't have much shine on it anymore for veteran players. And that was probably the #1 thing that got me as VIP in the first place long ago.

Fhrek

Tbh though, I think the adventure pack days........I think that ship has just about sailed. We might get maybe one a year if we're lucky. The rest of going to be expansions and mini-expansions. Which is another reason VIP needs some love, because "access to all adventure packs: really doesn't have much shine on it anymore for veteran players.
Exactly!

I'm on the same boat - adventure packs is gone, isn't a VIP Perk as it was in the days past. All old adventure packs could use the Free tag pass, as some classes and races did. The real money on sales are the newer ones. Just one catching up mechanic that would benefit New players, since SSG is constantly releasing Free Codes time from time.

So, what new VIP perk will substitute this one? That is the question, right?

somenewnoob

Exactly!

I'm on the same boat - adventure packs is gone, isn't a VIP Perk as it was in the days past. All old adventure packs could use the Free tag pass, as some classes and races did. The real money on sales are the newer ones. Just one catching up mechanic that would benefit New players, since SSG is constantly releasing Free Codes time from time.

So, what new VIP perk will substitute this one? That is the question, right?

And the other question........WHEN? (We all know the SSG answer........SOON!)

The fact they added gold rolls back, tells me.........it's going to be a minute.

Their first draft was so widely panned and was so terrible. It made me clutch my wallet tighter just by reading it.

Altra

I always felt that if I derived some entertainment from playing a game that was free to play and I had some way to support the developer through in game purchases, I would. I generally try to do that from time to time. With that being said that is just MY way of doing things. To me that is a personal decision and not something I would foist on others.

Then again... playing a free game and then complaining about it is kinda like complaining about politics and yet you didn't vote. :confused:
I'm not playing for free and complaining about it.
I'm VIP, yearly, on auto-renew.
I need VIP to be worth it. I can pay for it and still want it to be better.

mbartol

Murder Hobo
The problem is that VIP will never work with a one-size-fits-all perspective. This game has been around for many years, and has a very diverse player base.

There should be different types of VIP packages; maybe a New Player, Casual Player, Cosmetic, and Power Player set of packages. Each can provide different perks, and people could choose (and pay for) multiple packages as desired.

The specific contents bundled in each are up for debate, but beyond the scope of this conversation.

In fact, maybe a single a la carte VIP package could exist where the player can select x number of perks from a single list (or different categories of lists) that are of value to them.

h46av8r

I have never seen so much complaining about so little. VIP costs you $100 for a year. You get 500 x 12 or 6,000 DDO points back or about $60 of that. So basically $40 a year or $3.33 a month. It's like that paperboy in Better Off Dead riding around the whole movie yelling "I want my three dollars!" (updated for inflation).

Let's look at it another way.... I do a 1-30 (or 15-30) roughly every couple weeks on average. So let's say 50 past lives a year. So just the 10% VIP bonus alone is worth 5 extra past lives per year. Compare that to buying 5 Improved Otto's Boxes - really more since those don't get you the whole 1-20 or 20-30. You can't even buy 1 sovereign pot for $3.33 even in bulk.

I get long time VIPs maybe could have used the free quest coupons, probably are on 3rd life+ so can enter on elite, and could have just outright bought the bank space, character slots, monster manuals, and races one time versus paying monthly for years. But come on - it's basically $3.33 a month for at a very minimum the 10% stacking XP boost, VIP saga skip, and gold rolls. And I usually am making shards on the AH posting 20 items at a time as well so there is value there also.

seph1roth5

Again, the main issue is that the devs themselves agree that VIP is lacking. Doesn't matter if you think it's fine. It's like if you ask for a small raise at work, and your boss agrees, and then 2 years pass. You're not going to lose your house or be forced to eat rats or anything, but wouldn't a little more be better?

Onyxia2016

I don't think anyone is saying, Oh VIP is fine the way it is, don't worry about giving us anything more.
The point many have made is that it is not completely worthless so calls for some mass cancelation in protest are not warranted.

Look at it this way. Would you pay for VIP as it is now if that was the only way to keep DDO around?
Those of use that love the game and get a lot of enjoyment out of it would not hesitate.

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
Here is a thought... a way to kill two birds with one stone AND guarantee almost everybody will go VIP::

As long as you maintain your VIP status, BTC items can be moved freely between characters and the shared bank. The moment your VIP expires, the binding status is enforced.

It has no impact on people who do not go VIP, simply gives a REALLY nice perk to those who do. Make it only apply to accounts with a year long VIP if there is concern people will do 30 days, move gear and then cancel. Heck, you could probably do away with every other benefit of being VIP and people would still pay for it.

mbartol

Murder Hobo
Here is a thought... a way to kill two birds with one stone AND guarantee almost everybody will go VIP::

As long as you maintain your VIP status, BTC items can be moved freely between characters and the shared bank. The moment your VIP expires, the binding status is enforced.

It has no impact on people who do not go VIP, simply gives a REALLY nice perk to those who do. Make it only apply to accounts with a year long VIP if there is concern people will do 30 days, move gear and then cancel. Heck, you could probably do away with every other benefit of being VIP and people would still pay for it.
Think about fiscal responsibility. They would lose both of the BTC item transfer widget sales per year they make.
(Note: sales numbers are speculative, but I can’t imagine many are sold at that price point)

dur

aka Cybersquirt
On the whole, $99/year isn't much. But stupid things, like when my VIP Saltmarsh coupon can't be used because I bought the expansion with points instead of money, just stick in my craw.

eta long after: they nerfed WEIGHTING! FFS!

Last edited:

mbartol

Murder Hobo
On the whole, $99/year isn't much. But stupid things, like when my VIP Saltmarsh coupon can't be used because I bought the expansion with points instead of money, just stick in my craw.
SSH does have a knack for irritating their player base. I can’t explain it—very nonsensical. Just imagine how much more money happy customers are willing to pay. More revenue would be made from customers that don’t feel like adversaries.

Fhrek

BTC items can be moved freely between characters and the shared bank.
They would lose both of the BTC item transfer widget sales

Wish of Heritance sales going way... the idea is neat, but SSG is reluctante to give Free Daily Gold Dice Roll which can give a bunch of crap and tiny chance to valued prizes, imagine given up a direct font of revenue as Wishs.