What could be done to make "Past Lives" more interesting?

Lacci

I think past lives as they are now are interesting enough.
My strongest character only has 4 past lives and I´m sure I will never in my lifetime achieve 100 past lives. But I don´t feel like I need to have that many to enjoy the game. And at least for me, all the past lives are an effective carrot in front of my nose and keep me somewhat motivated.
I feel like if I had 100 past lives now, I would probably feel like I completed the game and would most likely just move on to a different game.

What they should do, is to make reincarnations less complicated. I wrote this in another thread: They should get rid of all the different hearts for different TRs, where you have to study which one you need and how to obtain it...
Make it all the same heart and when you turn in the heart in the grove, the NPC just asks you which TR you want to do.

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
After running a bunch of iconic lives, I recently started on some normal races again (for my last class TRs on my alt). I must say, starting at level 15 was soooo much more enjoyable than starting at 3 (after using the xp stones I had saved). Low level quests are boring, low (r)xp, and you don't have most of your builds defining features yet to have fun with.

Yes, that's how levelling works. I get it. But gaming is supposed to be fun. Finding a way to lessen the boredom of the lowest levels would be great.

(Not only kobold remember Waterworks. I remember it too. After so many years, it's not just that I could do it in my sleep, it's that I AM more or less doing it in my sleep)
All a matter of opinion. I just started a new life (at level 3 after using XP stones) and am definitely enjoying it more than the last number of lives started at 15. To me, the lower level quests are (for the most part) heaps more enjoyable than the higher level ones. I will acknowledge it does take a bit more time to run a life, but largely because of epic slayers and the power-leveling penalty in heroics.

Weaponalpha

One of the many wonderful things about DDO is that you can play any way you wish. Trying to change the game to only fit the way you wish to play is A) selfish 2) delusional and Z) never, ever, ever going to happen. They will never get rid of pls or make the game any less of a "grind." If you do not like it do not do it. They have 8 more Archetypes to come out after Dragon Lord so 24 more pls to do. They will add more races, classes, archetypes which means 3x pls for each minimum. This is what feeds the game for the vast majority of people. Most players dont come on here and cry about how awful things are they just play the game and have fun.

Fizban

All past lives are tracked within your feats to include number of times per past life. This is all already being done so I know all of my past lives and the effect it has on my current character. As far as assigning some visual effect to your character I would /not sign onto that. Can you imagine effect that would have on a character with multiple past lives just visually much less with lag.

Onyxia2016

All a matter of opinion. I just started a new life (at level 3 after using XP stones) and am definitely enjoying it more than the last number of lives started at 15. To me, the lower level quests are (for the most part) heaps more enjoyable than the higher level ones. I will acknowledge it does take a bit more time to run a life, but largely because of epic slayers and the power-leveling penalty in heroics.
I to enjoy the lower level quests. It could be nostalgia for the early days of DDO, but I fine them more genuine to what DDO was in the beginning.

Ethril

I'll tell you what would make Past Lives more interesting. If i've run a certain number of past lives, I should start at a higher level. why? Because my memory has kobolds new ringleader ingrained in it and there is no way I will ever forget it, so why run it every life?

example:
10 past lives = start at level 2
25 past lives = start at level 3
50 past lives = start at level 4
100 past lives = start at level 5
all past lives = start at level 10

I mean, seriously, we should have a Past Lives Pavilion where you can just fast forward past levels if you've run them 1,000 times. Why should anybody even care to run korthos when they have finished with all their past lives?

I'll go one step further. Once you achieve x amount of past lives, you should just keep your storage favor...

reasons this will never happen include people like me that would spend real $ on 50 pots to speed past levels faster. So, SSG will prob never do something like this. Oh well!
Or just allow us to start at level 4 or 7 with a reincarnated character if we've unlocked or bought that feature.

Nickodeamous

Or just allow us to start at level 4 or 7 with a reincarnated character if we've unlocked or bought that feature.
yup totally. for me, I still run the low quests for favor, but that's it. I think if you unlock lev 4 and lev 7, it should persist as an option going forward. I do like like the lowbie quests as well. I can run harbor in my sleep. lol. I think that for some of us, we have been there and done that, so we dont care to see it all again (and again). Sure, for nostalgia/favor, but I think if you have a past life experience over and over, you should remember that experience and have a chance to skip it if you choose to do so. to each their own :)

Ethril

Sure, for nostalgia/favor, but I think if you have a past life experience over and over, you should remember that experience and have a chance to skip it if you choose to do so. to each their own :)
Even when I'm an iconic, I still run a lot of it for favor. But, being higher level makes many of the quests much quicker to run. I'd still run a lot of it at 4 or 7 as well since a lot of those quests are for the Coin Lords which opens up more inventory.

Mickeymouse

Past lives have become a major source of lag as per Severlin. Best is to remove ALL past lives rewards and just keep the completionists (heroic +2 and racial +2 to all stats) rewards.
So there is no lag on HC? This oughta be one of the easiest to spot. on HC none to very past lifes + no gear accumulation. is it better?

Mickeymouse

HC lags a ton too. Playing the game causes lag; best to just stare at the character selection screen and imagine all the fun that could be had to reduce server overhead.
there is a reason why our log on screen don´t have rotating characters. haha