What I do..

dur

aka Cybersquirt
**So, I'm VIP. Please pipe up F2P!

Build my toon based on what I knew about Dungeons and Dragons and it's basic classes, or look here, starting @ 1-4; usually 3.
Go to Korthos (the XP and mechanics are essential) and finish it. If I'm in a guild, I port out, get buffs, *maybe hireling, and then go back and Finish It. I also find all the Explorer points in the wilderness area - it's good XP, you can get great starter loot, and you can Wiki a map image that will show you how to find all of them. Or I bounce between Gatekeepers/Borderlands (also L1) if I want a mount.

On entry to Eberron, I walk up the path and intimidate (or some such) the guard (by the Lighthouse) into giving me a weapon and allowing further migrants through without hassle, gaining loot. If I've started at level 4, I run over there; at level 5 he won't talk to me.

Heading north, I notice the entrance for The Gatekeepers - go in and start their saga (L3 now) & go out
Continuing north along the dock, I meet Baudry Cartamon. I accept his quest and get a small ingredients bag.
And just north of him, I meet Fitzpat the Fence; accept his quest and get the small gem bag.
Continue north and gather a few more quests. Head east, past The Marketplace, across the bridge you thankfully can't fall off of anymore, to the Mailbox. Turn north til I see more folks to talk to and a Shop called the Ball & Chain. I go in there and get a few WIDE quivers (and other armor, weapons, or ammunition I might need.)
Heading out, there's another shop to my right that sell minor potions and other alchemy.
I do the solo-only quests in the Harbor, then the 2-3's
I start Waterworks (WW), because vendor discounts are good, and that leads me into another wilderness area, and see how my toon/build is doing through all of this. Or, I start WW before I spend any plat because I might have very little. Either way, I see how far I can get to Finishing it.

Head east of Baudry and find Cerulean Hills. Start those quests and wilderness.

Then head to Marketplace and take care of the quests there; definitely do STK and L3-4's.. start focusing on who's favor I want, based on build. If I can't finish it, I jump back to L1 Gatekeepers quests or look for more L1/L2 quests (or see what level I really am, because if I'm "***banking XP," I might just need to level; or kill the toon and try again.)

Maybe start the CR4 Sharn syndicate - I hate those crap BTA items but they're great if you've got nothing. Coin Lord favor is good for Inventory tabs, until you hit 150; Khyber favor unlocks Bank Storage.

That's a good start - you should be level +5. If you're on Sarlona, and need a Guild or help, send a mail to Henkle, Lilla, or Jyrta.

eta: oh, and I run everything ('cept that PITA Crystal quest) on elite (or hard then elite if I want "delving bonus") w/ an at level hireling.
Note: https://ddowiki.com/page/Experience_point#Delving_Bonus_.28Individual.29

Forum's Build folder: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?forums/character-builds-and-classes.24/

*clarifications 20231022
**clarifications 20231125
***Banking XP is what I call not leveling my toon as soon as I have enough XP. Not sure how many ranks can be banked and would rather not discuss anything it here lest tptb take it away (like they did tumble feature(s)).
There are also a TON of game settings: https://ddowiki.com/page/UI_layout So many, the article hasn't been improved.
In, in UI, "Don't Show Hints" "Consolidate Icons" and "Hide Guild Buffs," for starters, on all new toons.

Last edited:

dur

aka Cybersquirt
ALSO:
Quivers for your arrows are at the Ball & Chain in the Harbor.
Medium Collectable & Gem bags are at Empty Handed in House Jorasco..
ddowiki is awesome resource for locations and items 'cause there's no quick way to talk about potions, scrolls, and wands.

Finally, don't buy Rusted, or Putrid, or Melted anything. Look at the description! And if in doubt, check the DDOWIKI and search. or just do an Internet search for 'ddo blah..blah'

*edited to remove yelling X)
**and again on 20231026 for clarity & typo

Last edited:

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Good advice! I always grab 1-3 quivers depending on the character. Even if you do not use a bow or x-bow, it helps keep bolts/arrows managed and not taking up extra space in your packs.
Bags for new characters: Small Gem Bag (blue, cap. 6) - Fitzpat the Fence, Small Collectables Bag (red, cap 12) - Baudry Cartamon, Tiny Ingredients Bag (green, cap 12) - Felix d'Cannith , Small Ingredients Bag (green, cap 30) - Jeanselme Brucetius

Character creation note from the DDO Wiki (see step 3): https://ddowiki.com/page/Character_creation

Last edited:

dur

aka Cybersquirt
I also make sure I have an even 1.0 in tumble (min) by L4. Points in tumble reduces fall damage, and if the stat says n/a, no boost will help.

UMD at your discretion but it's too expensive for many builds to mess with.

**For some strange reason, Tumble (like UMD) is n/a by default.

Last edited:

saekee

long live ROGUE
I would not recommend that sequence as most new players will not be ViP opening elite. Waterworks on elite will kill most new players too.

If I were making a new player guide, I would add lots of points to encourage players around confusing junk and warn them away from store traps. I would add things like, “Have faith, the big ugly Hint buttons can be disabled.”

Nebless

After I've done the first round of the Korthos Village quests I pop over to the Harbor and pick up the gem, ingredient and collectible bags and buy a quiver and then return to Korthos to finish it out.

It totally helps with inventory space while questing since you only have the 3 inventory tabs.

Reactions: dur

dur

aka Cybersquirt
I would not recommend that sequence as most new players will not be ViP opening elite. Waterworks on elite will kill most new players too.

If I were making a new player guide, I would add lots of points to encourage players around confusing junk and warn them away from store traps. I would add things like, “Have faith, the big ugly Hint buttons can be disabled.”
Yeah.. I could add a lot of stuff but I wanted to keep it shortish :) The thread, OTOH, can grow & grow..
*and if PC finished Korthos, they should be about 4.

Those Kobold Shamans are hard.
Yeah, I got nailed by them a lot early on. It's good to have a hire draw their ire.

*You ever notice how those kobolds bounce all over the place? As melee, I strafe around everything unless I'm not taking damage; if archer/mage, I sneak and target.

Last edited: