What is your most enjoyable content to run each life, and why?

Enir

I've always enjoyed 3BC. So many times I'd come home from a terrible day at work, log on and it's "Arr matey, where be t' treasure?"

I run 3BC every life for the Saga, the Exp and the opportunity to talk like a pirate again!

Boondocks Mike

It occurs to me that a lot of the content I prefer is older content and that any content created before level 20 cap was made without TRing in mind. Also a lot of it would be from the subscription era so they didn't need to load new content with attractive meta game features to sell it.

l_remmie

I always do lordsmarch Plaza quests. They are just fun and you get to blow up boats and big barrels. I also love the stormhorns chain but its inconveniently leveled. My fav quest is the stone museum though. I like rocks, i like musea and it has interactive exhibits and its funny as heck.

ProllyDidItWrong

Call me a glutton for punishment and a connoisseur of pain but I like running slavers. I like the crafting, the farming and kicking mobs of mobs in the teeth - over and over again. I've called off work to run this chain to craft me some l33t gear.
Ravenloft is a must every life - still a better love story than Twilight.
The whole lordsmarch/droaam chain - **** that Hag - know what I mean?
Meance chain From Dust to Demonweb - High adventure!!! Feels like old school DnD back with the lads in the basement. Good times!! Hell throw in Shadowfell>Druids Deep>High Road>Stormhorns for a truly epic campaign!!!! ermagerd!!!!
Still too early to tell 'cause I've only ran through these a few times, but I'm digging the Borderlands>Saltmarsh>Feywild>Isle of Dread progression better than the Korthos>Harbor>Market>X House Soup Dejour - always felt like a discombobulated hot mess to me... although there are some jewels in there...
Heck, I like it all!!!
Out of all the MMOs, console and PC games, DDO is the only game that I keep coming back to after 16 years!!!

Last edited:

Scrag

Meance chain From Dust to Demonweb - High adventure!!! Feels like old school DnD back with the lads in the basement. Good times!!
I really wanted to chime in on this. This chain is the most pnp flavor I think the game really has. There is a progressive movement through the arc, starting with the easy entry, slightly upgraded difficulty and more complex flavor, to the clever mechanics boss (pnp has never been a tank and ***** event in groups I've been in), to the epic run up against a dimensional incursion.

Amorais

I like the Eveningstar Quests mainly. Also TBC but I also like all the Harbour quests as well apart from Stealthy Repossession, which I never do. Ravenloft is ok but a couple of the quests are pretty tedious, esp Mad Tea Party.

Aelonwy

Meance chain From Dust to Demonweb - High adventure!!! Feels like old school DnD back with the lads in the basement. Good times!! Hell throw in Shadowfell>Druids Deep>High Road>Stormhorns for a truly epic campaign!!!! ermagerd!!!!

Spoilers:
There's a lot to love about MotU and the other Faerun content however I just find all the deus ex machina tropes, and the futility of much of the actions very disheartening? frustrating? well less than enjoyable. I have come to absolutely loathe Elminster. Too much, too often, didn't matter what the characters achieved, didn't matter how heroic our actions to force the story along the DM/Narrator/Story-God swooped in and the girl gets kidnapped again, the scrolls pieces we made such an effort recovering get stolen back, etc.

From the very first quest, the rift we're trying to stop from opening... the ritual is completed with the drow's death - the writing makes the whole thing an exercise in futility that replays almost immediately with the Spinner of Shadows. And couple that with the way we reincarnate and replay quest series then the writing makes it feel like some punishment of Sisyphus. Always a hair too late, always your heroic actions are exactly what the bad guys wanted anyways... over and over. I blame the writers for repeating the same story trope and just redressing it for the different quests.

When you look at the bare bones of the story its a poorly written soap opera-comic. But its trimmed very nice in the setting, with gorgeous imaginative destinations. I love the Underdark, I even like the Demonweb when I know where I'm going and how to get there, I love the sumptuous set dressing and architecture of Sschindylryn (sp?), but I'm not a fan of the writing.

Ravenloft is almost the opposite. Everything you do, really matters. The items you need to take down Strahd, you really need and he never steals them back from you to make you retrieve them again somewhere else. Saving Ireena, the Sunsword, the final battle with Strahd where he really ends feels way more epic, intensely more satisfying than rescuing Ana and battling Lolth's belly button.

Uppsy

Not any particular dungeon, but there's some of the DM voice actors I enjoy hearing, especially the original Korthos one's.
I really hope one day we find out who the voice actors are for the older content, especially the original voice actors who did all the old harbor stuff.
The female voice actor in Korthos is Cindy Robinson for a fun fact :)

Uppsy

I much prefer and love a lot of the older content. If I had to pick a favourite it would have to be Gianthold. This pack is just so well done and the monster variety is perfect. A close second would either be Orchard or Vale.

Bjond

the content I prefer is older content and that any content created before level 20 cap

Eh, that's exactly opposite of my taste. I would cheer if all heroic content was deleted. It's all absurdly easy no-risk. Sure, you can crank skulls up, but why? There's no gain from running past R1 other than difficulty.

With Epics, you get to run your full completed build and the difficulty + reward makes upping skulls a bit more enjoyable; 20->29 @ R4'ish gives the game a little friction and earns enough RXP to make it feel worthwhile.

I have come to absolutely loathe Elminster.
Anna said:
I can master this magic. Elminster will help me!"
I nearly die laughing every time I hear her chirping blithely about Elminster helping. Sure he will. You go girl!

BTW, my own guess as to D&D plot convolutions is that Anna is actually Mystra in a time-travel sense. Elminster knows and doesn't want to mess things up by "helping" her.

Aelonwy

I nearly die laughing every time I hear her chirping blithely about Elminster helping. Sure he will. You go girl!

BTW, my own guess as to D&D plot convolutions is that Anna is actually Mystra in a time-travel sense. Elminster knows and doesn't want to mess things up by "helping" her.
I read the Time of Troubles series and a few miscellaneous other Faerun novels way back... yeah let's not focus on the time that's passed... I doubt its time-travel and more a sort of reincarnation. The Divine Being that is Mystra in the Faerun story-line cannot be entirely destroyed, no matter the plotting of other Divine beings like Lolth, Shar, Cyric... essentially she is the Weave, if any part of the weave exists then she still exists somewhere within it. The "thread" of the weave in this context is her divine spark, whatever essential self still remains. Lolth wanted to gobble her up and absorb her like she did the Spinner of Shadows. But apparently, as she had done a few times before Mystra had already chosen her newest incarnation Ana. But to access Mystra's own memories Ana would have to become invested in and connected to the Weave, a magic user. The more she uses magic, the more Mystra's memories will resurface, the more she can recollect her divine self from the Weave. You are probably right that Elminster knew who and what she was, he had already seen this reincarnation process of hers twice? before but that would be all the more reason to get her to use magic as much as possible.

I loathe Elminster because the way he's written in DDO he shows up at the end when we've done all the dirty work and takes control of the situation like he was part of the party adventuring with us. But he wasn't, he's the douche that tries to take credit.