What quests drop the highest ability tomes?

Striga

Highest-level chests (i.e., highest-level quests) drop the highest ability tomes. I think quest chests (i.e. non-raid) go up to +5? Or more? I don't spend much at cap.

As for the bonus question, stuff available in the DDO Store does not have a buyout price in auction houses. The reason is probably... if you need something NOW, you are forced to buy from the store, not AH.

axel15810

If by highest you mean +8, I think that's only at 7500 favor and the 4 raids they just added them to recently in U62. But the drop rates for these tomes is so small that it's hard to know for sure. But I've never pulled a +8 ever as far as I know.

Terpilar

Favor = DDO points = +8 universal tome when on sale (Black Friday, Xmas...)
So any quest qualifies as long as it gives favor.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Excluding raids, the highest natural drop for an ability tome is +4. This can happen in the end chest of any quest with a minimum level of 27 or higher, but also there's a tiny chance that any breakable will contain one.

As for skill tomes, there's no exact record of which quest levels contain which tomes, but you can get up to +3 tomes from completing sagas, and the maximum-level +4 to +5 Upgrade Tomes can drop in Legendary loot. Direct +4 and +5 tomes can only be bought in the DDO Store (or, theoretically, be pulled from Gold Daily Dice, but that's a very unlikely outcome.)

(And yes, you could also do things by farming 7500 Favor on a single character six times, but as someone who's done it once, even getting one tome this way is a hard ask. )

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
I guess they may drop in highest base level of quests. I'd start looking in Vecna LE quests OR in CR 37 challenges (nigh revels, crystal cove)

But regarding raids - tomes were often offered as 20th raid reward (VoN, ADQ, Titan, Reaver).

How about an option to turn-in raid runes / threads of fate for a tome?

Valerianus

Former Captain Of The Rotten Shark
Raids do not count.

Bonus question: Tomes not having a buyout price in the shard exchange - Bug or WAI?

bonus question answer: it's wai for some reason. some stuff from the store works like this, some stuff doesn't. i also think that it's because they want to force you to the store if you want a certain something here and now, but they are cool if you want some other something and you're getting it from another player in buyout.......buuuuuuuut.............maybe it's just inconsistency. classic ddo. really, it's entirely possible that looking for a logical explanation is a waste of time.

Br4d

If by highest you mean +8, I think that's only at 7500 favor and the 4 raids they just added them to recently in U62. But the drop rates for these tomes is so small that it's hard to know for sure. But I've never pulled a +8 ever as far as I know.

I got a +8 tome of Strength from a 100 gold roll once upon a time. Highest tome I've seen other than that from any content is a +4 to +5 of several varieties.

droid327

Store items not allowing a "buy it now" price is to discourage people from farming cheap easy first-time ddo points on a burner account, buying store items, selling them for 1 AS and then immediately buying them on your actual account.

T.O.

Does tomes drop in game? :sneaky:
Yes they do. These were on the same life. Got another on that life in a quest chest a 4-5 upgrade. Probably a wis tome too. lol I don't remember.

image.png
image.png

Lazuli

I don't think I've ever gotten a tome higher than +5 in a quest (non-raid). And now they are so rare that they are practically non-existent. It is easier to win the lottery than to win a tome. Yes, some people win the lottery, but most people don't. Drop rates were nerfed very harshly many years ago.

Silver dice usually gives +1 tomes that are useless. Gold rolls tend to provide +5 or +6 tomes, but sometimes, very rarely, you get something better.

If you're looking for tomes playing content, I think your best bet would be in raids. But as othes have said before, even here the drop is low, and you end up sooner farming points and buying a supreme in the store.

axel15810

If you're looking for tomes playing content, I think your best bet would be in raids. But as othes have said before, even here the drop is low, and you end up sooner farming points and buying a supreme in the store.
If someone wants to get a set of tomes without the store, I would say the best way is to grind out items in game that will sell for shards in the shard exchange, sell those items for shards, then use those shards to buy tomes off the shard exchange.

Of course if you want the best ones without the store, +8s, you'll probably have to grind out 7500 favor. That's a ton of favor but as a long term goal it's do-able especially if you only go for CON tome + a tome in your main Stat. Though they may be appearing from time to time on the shard exchange too now that they drop in raids.

I raid a lot - we usually do like 8-10 raids a weekend (usually Hard or R1, sometimes higher for older raids) and I'd say we maybe see a tome drop once every few weeks. If I had to guess, one tome in total every 30 raids or so between all 12 in the party. They're very rare. Drop rate is probably below 0.5%. And that's just me guessing, I have not kept track or paid too much attention to it.

Lazuli

If someone wants to get a set of tomes without the store, I would say the best way is to grind out items in game that will sell for shards in the shard exchange, sell those items for shards, then use those shards to buy tomes off the shard exchange.
It is a possibility, but I would say that it is faster to grind the points than to amass such a large number of shards. +8 tomes are usually given for too many shards, so I think it is faster to get points for a supreme than to get enough shards for 6 tomes.

But if someone is so efficient at trading so that the shards come out faster, go ahead!

I raid a lot - we usually do like 8-10 raids a weekend (usually Hard or R1, sometimes higher for older raids) and I'd say we maybe see a tome drop once every few weeks. If I had to guess, one tome in total every 30 raids or so between all 12 in the party. They're very rare. Drop rate is probably below 0.5%. And that's just me guessing, I have not kept track or paid too much attention to it.
Yes, they are very rare. Probably those few who play raids on high reaper see them more (Rabidfox will say better), but at the difficulties that raids are normally played on, they are rare.

But they are not more frequent in quests, I would say that they are even more uncommon in quests.

I think it is also faster to farm points than getting 7500 favor several times and more productive (you get more past lives in the process), but to each person according to their tastes.

Moral of the story: the system is created so that you buy the tomes.

The Narc

I earn about 500 DDO points per TR from favor (give or take). I would generally say if one plays a lot (and TRs fairly regularly) that spending those points on a supreme +8 tome pack (or ideally the 10 year anniversary bundle) while on sale is a go-to move. (There's also a ton of other good things to dump those points on too, but having +8 to all stats is pretty nice for anyone on the TR train)
Yep doing it with in game earned points is better than supporting the astral shard auction house, lol i dont even open such an obvious cash ploy.

Fisto Mk I

besides a few that drop in monster manuals shards only come from cash purchases.
Clearly incorrect. Both my personal Krakens full with amenities and about 20k AS remaining at Argo and 4500k (was about 20 too, but last time i spend many for Tenser's boxes from ASAH) AS at Orien was received from ASAH trade, i spend no penny to SSG. ;)

The Narc

Clearly incorrect. Both my personal Krakens full with amenities and about 20k AS remaining at Argo and 4500k (was about 20 too, but last time i spend many for Tenser's boxes from ASAH) AS at Orien was received from ASAH trade, i spend no penny to SSG. ;)
No but someone did, and i put no support into that system as it milks someone of their cash. Unfortunately that someone is usually someone that is chasing the jones’s. Hence why i am posting for more new players to see that the auction house is just a milk your cash system, dont fo there it is unrequired.

The Narc

I get all my shards by trading, without buying in the store, so it can be done. But at least in my experience, it is faster to farm points. Of course, there will be people with more success than me trading with shards, there each one must see their expertise and speed in achieving one thing or another.

I get 900-1000 points per TR (non iconic). But my leveling path is designed for a mix of speed and favor farming. Overall, I'm pretty happy with that mix. To get a supreme would require a few lives, but you are guaranteed the result, you don't have to do quests that you don't like or that are difficult to do alone, and you get PLs in the process.

But for someone who prefers exploration, 7500 favor may be ideal. Each one with their tastes.
Signed, this is the path to take for getting tomes without spending cash or supporting systems created to suck cash into the game with little to zero creative pluses to the players of the game.

And yes you can earn astral shards on the ASAH, but just remember someone had to buy them in the first place. So if you do this you are supporting their money grab.