What Single Thing about DDO do you Hate the Most?

What Single Thing about DDO do you Hate the Most/is most detrimental to the overall game?

• The Lag and the Bugs.

• The Pricing and Costs. (too expensive)

• The inventory management (too annoying)

• The Customer Service from SSG (lacking/too slow/inconsiserate)

• The Grind (waaay too grindy)

• Developers not listening to players enough

• Not enough raid/quest variety/development

• The Nerfs

• Not enough things to do at cap

• None. DDO is fine as-is.

Results are only viewable after voting.

erethizon1

Lockouts. Nearly every major fight in nearly every quest has barriers that spring up preventing the whole party from entering the room together. The first person enters the room, the barrier springs up, and the rest of the party have to click around trying to find the little swirly icon to get in. This usually results in the boss (or mini-boss) being able to pick off the party one by one.

I can't think of ONE good reason for this. If you're going to lockout the fight room, at least let the party get in the room first.
I would love to see the end of all boss-room lockouts. Let people run away if they need to. D&D is about using intelligence and running away when you need to should be one of those options. You can have bosses rubberband to full health if you are really worried about challenge, but let players leave as needed.

PURPLETIMB

Lockouts. Nearly every major fight in nearly every quest has barriers that spring up preventing the whole party from entering the room together. The first person enters the room, the barrier springs up, and the rest of the party have to click around trying to find the little swirly icon to get in. This usually results in the boss (or mini-boss) being able to pick off the party one by one.

I can't think of ONE good reason for this. If you're going to lockout the fight room, at least let the party get in the room first.
I'm fine with locking you into the final fight once you start. There are way too many ways that you can cheese your way past fights if you can drag the end boss out into a hallway and back through the rest of the quest and such. But make the barrier drop in a predictable place (like a doorway) and have it not appear until someone gets well past that point so the whole party can be in the end fight. As you said, there's no reason to drop a barrier six inches behind the first party member to enter the end fight room forcing everyone else in the party to sit through a 30 second load screen to get into the fight.

The Narc

I'm fine with locking you into the final fight once you start. There are way too many ways that you can cheese your way past fights if you can drag the end boss out into a hallway and back through the rest of the quest and such. But make the barrier drop in a predictable place (like a doorway) and have it not appear until someone gets well past that point so the whole party can be in the end fight. As you said, there's no reason to drop a barrier six inches behind the first party member to enter the end fight room forcing everyone else in the party to sit through a 30 second load screen to get into the fight.
I constantly see this word cheese thrown out there, other than raids i cant think of a single end boss fight(okay maybe final fight in TOEE can be minimally scary)that is scary enough that there needs to be some said such cheese. I mean if kiting is cheese then you better make all the end boss rooms even smaller.

See the thing is if you look at older quests where they did drop gates, the end room was much bigger and it was easy for any player to kite, and then melees whined and cried, so now we have what we have today which is more contained smaller end boss rooms. Now we have players complaining that they all cant get into the end fight at the sametime, whatever corrects this will annoy someone else but it wont stop kiting, i mean melees kite too they just do it in smaller circle(such cheese-full sarcasm).

Lock in rooms should have been left to raids but the true reason we need it in DDO isnt cheese its the fact that the game engine cant handle the pathing calculations that ultimately impact lag in this game.

Every mob AI update they do it is easy to figure out where they have rerouted their calculations and then it is just a matter of figure out how to confuse the mobs enough that the mobs dont move. They tried to solve this originally with freezing us at the same time like a turn based system but obviously that wasnt received well. Think that was around hardcore 2, where players would be frozen while mobs had a few free shots before any reaction could be done, this caused death for some.

Hope we find somewhere in the middle that all can have fun, isnt that the most important thing(lol besides SSG making money).

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
Hard choice...TR cache emptying or unskippable dialogues or lag... that's a... trilemma?

Weaponalpha

"Hate" is a pretty strong word to use for a game unless we are talking about soccer or futbol as it is more commonly called I am frequently told... The only thing I "hate" about DDO are all the bonehead mistakes that I have made. Like the life when I was farming renown for my solo guild and after completing all sagas available at the time, 21 I believe, and drink my pot I tr'd before turning any in. Yeah, genius. I was slightly less angry when I did it again with 17 sagas a few lives later. DDO is 100% fun for me. It is flawed like absolutely every other thing in existence but the flaws are well known so I work around them. Oh, I do hate all the negativity on the forums though. Bunch of whinny crybabies over a game. Its pathetic.

Genkiba

The direction the game has taken the last few years. The last honest pack was borderlands and the last honest expansion was ravenloft.

It's really being developed like an afk mobile game with infinite systems* (crafting/upgrading/sentient/enhancement/destiny/reaper/younameit) and making money whaling off patron coffers and "collector's" editions of every year mini expansions
You mean you hate variety?

mbartol

Murder Hobo
"Hate" is a pretty strong word to use for a game unless we are talking about soccer or futbol as it is more commonly called I am frequently told... The only thing I "hate" about DDO are all the bonehead mistakes that I have made. Like the life when I was farming renown for my solo guild and after completing all sagas available at the time, 21 I believe, and drink my pot I tr'd before turning any in. Yeah, genius. I was slightly less angry when I did it again with 17 sagas a few lives later. DDO is 100% fun for me. It is flawed like absolutely every other thing in existence but the flaws are well known so I work around them. Oh, I do hate all the negativity on the forums though. Bunch of whinny crybabies over a game. Its pathetic.
Ouch!
I was upset when I realized I hadn’t turned in one of my completed sagas before TRing. I couldn’t imagine 17 or 21 sagas.

Vox

It's the forced teleport/loadscreen that annoys me more than anything

nenetteblackmoor

I don't like the mindset of DDO developers.

I'm also a game developer myself, but games are meant to be entertainment, not a form of asceticism or hardship.
While I understand the need for balance adjustments and the demand for game-like challenges, DDO developers tend to choose corrective methods that only stress players out without providing clarity.
If the issue is that becoming too powerful when equipment fits together too well, then it's important to adjust the game based on the power balance when everything fits together well, giving players a sense of accomplishment.
It only provides enjoyment with limited combinations, such as those seen in the Body, Helm, Cloak Set, rather than giving a sense of accomplishment through various combinations.

Events consist mostly of trials rather than events designed for enjoyment.

Furthermore, DDO lacks prestige.
For instance, in EverQuest, there were Epic Weapons, symbols of 'achievement' or 'accomplishment,' providing a 'role-played honor.'
But DDO only has Wings to prove gamer addicts. There are no symbols representing races or classes.
The developers of DDO are completely oblivious to the importance of visual perception.
That's why they can easily remove things like Legendary Enduring Conviction and Legendary Divine Vengeance.

The developers of DDO may have the ability to create systems, but they lack the capacity to build worlds, lore, and communities.
DDO feels like a game designed by munchkins.

First, please start by implementing the Holy Symbol.
Give us devout followers our Holy Symbol.
Currently, we're casting Turn Undead and Divine Magic with mysterious power, but if the Holy Symbol is implemented, we devout believers will be able to declare our allegiance more fervently.

If they had time to create orbs with strange designs, they should just make orbs in the shape of Holy Symbols and name them 'Holy Symbol'.

Last edited:

Col Kurtz

I don't like the mindset of DDO developers.

I'm also a game developer myself, but games are meant to be entertainment, not a form of asceticism or hardship.
While I understand the need for balance adjustments and the demand for game-like challenges, DDO developers tend to choose corrective methods that only stress players out without providing clarity.
If the issue is that becoming too powerful when equipment fits together too well, then it's important to adjust the game based on the power balance when everything fits together well, giving players a sense of accomplishment.

Events consist mostly of trials rather than events designed for enjoyment.

Furthermore, DDO lacks prestige.
For instance, in EverQuest, there were Epic Weapons, symbols of 'achievement' or 'accomplishment,' providing a 'role-played honor.'
However, DDO only has Wings, solely for proving one's dedication. There are no symbols representing races or classes.

The developers of DDO may have the ability to create systems, but they lack the capacity to build worlds, lore, and communities.
DDO feels like a game designed by munchkins.

First, please start by implementing the Holy Symbol.
Give us devout followers our Holy Symbol.
Currently, we're casting Turn Undead and Divine Magic with mysterious power, but if the Holy Symbol is implemented, we devout believers will be able to declare our allegiance more fervently.

If they had time to create orbs with strange designs, they should just make orbs in the shape of Holy Symbols and name them 'Holy Symbol'.
and, if they restore previous Tumble then we can be Holy Rollers !

/some good points... I'd add that the quests have almost zero immersion. Overcomplicated dialogue desperately covering for a lack of NPC interaction. The basics that make an mmo a 'world'

Blunt Hackett

Most of my pet peeves aren't on the list.

My top one is that there are WAY too many mediocre builds. Each enhancement tree and epic destiny should be able to make a fun and capable build. There's too much disparity.