What will AI do with DDO code?

TavernBrawler

Can it improve the code and reduce lag? Can it create better items and effects than the loot devs? Want to know whats the hype around AI as my Nvidia stock hit all-time highs because of "AI" (heck might even fast-forward my retirement plans at this rate!)

Eoin

Code wise it might be able to explain some *** code blocks. Assuming they are linting, the low hanging "you are coding this wrong" stuff would be handled. Of course it doesn't look like they have a spell checker extension in their IDE or build pipeline. From the dev video series, it looked like a lot of text documents were generated that could be spell and grammer checked. Also looked structured enough that they could automatically validate string refs.

It might be able to help think up ideas for loot, but that loot still needs to work with the current engine. And the loot would need to work with the overall game design.

The text to speech stuff I have played with seems to be getting much better, so maybe some room for more voice lines.

ACJ97F

Guessing that SSG would nerf the AI so it had a 20% reduction in CPU power, charge it rent for the drive bay it's sitting in, explain that the
Artificial Intelligence gear set is currently bugged but will be fixed "any day now", but would still like the AI to buy some $100 bank slots. 🤖

Almost 7% of that is a joke. (y)

unbongwah

The AI would take one look at this code and then self-terminate.
The AI would run into the nearest trap or lava pit and then sit there till it dies
giphy.gif

paddymaxson

Nothing, AI can't fix a thing that a human themselves couldn't fix. You can't just give it someone else's highly esoteric code and expect it to figure out what the issue is. Jesus Chris AI fans need to get in the sea already. It's not magic, it's generative and based on existing examples. AI can write you a script, it can't refactor your code safely.

Congrats on your nvidia stock I guess.

Ethril

AI can write you a script, it can't refactor your code safely.
Speaking as a software engineer with over 25 years in the field, it can't even do that well. I played around with ChatGPT and asked it to write several simple programs to see what it would come up with. In at least 1/2 of the cases, the code would either not compile, would throw runtime errors, or would have glaring logic issues (for example conditions being reversed).

The only thing it's really good for is "why am I getting this error" (which Google can also tell you) or writing scripts so trivial that you could probably write them yourself faster than you could type the prompt into ChatGPT.

paddymaxson

Speaking as a software engineer with over 25 years in the field, it can't even do that well. I played around with ChatGPT and asked it to write several simple programs to see what it would come up with. In at least 1/2 of the cases, the code would either not compile, would throw runtime errors, or would have glaring logic issues (for example conditions being reversed).
Yeah agreed, I'm an amateur developer (very amateur) and I couldn't really trust it to do simple things for me without spending a long time figuring out how to prompt it to the point I may as well have learned how to write the code.

It's at best a time saver in its current form, or it can produce less than ideal results for someone who doesnm't care to learn to produce those results themselves. You'd have better luck having me try to figure out why DDO lags than AI, and that's NOT a compliment to me, lol.

Blunt Hackett

NPCs with extra limbs, beholders with eyestalks in weird(er) places, quest macguffins changed to irl items, hirelings that run the opposite direction, incorrectly correcting words to things like behold hers and displacer breast plates...

paddymaxson

Oh actually there is one thing that AI could do I guess, apparently there's a WoW mod that makes every quest text voice acted which I guess is fairly harmless provided you're not stealing someone else's image rights/vocal rights to produce the voices.

Voice acting isn't necessary but it is sort of nice to have and I do despair at the fact some people think that AI voices means no longer having to hire voice actors but the reality is they're expensive so I could live with a decent voice simulations providing DDO voice acting.

Scrag

The only thing it's really good for is "why am I getting this error" (which Google can also tell you) or writing scripts so trivial that you could probably write them yourself faster than you could type the prompt into ChatGPT.
GenAI can do a LOT for you. It doesn't have to write good code, policy, ideas. It simply has to act as a force multiplier, by bringing many different sources of information together to propose novel new solutions to problems.

It is the user of the AI capabilities that determine what is of value, and how to extract that from the mess. I know for sure I am not going to read/view tens, or even hundreds of articles on how to tile a floor. I will let AI do it, see what is common between all articles, and move on from there with my own research.

This is already how I approach problems (without AI). GenAI/AI are just tools in the toolbox to make better products.

If you expect AI to solve your problem for you, _even if somehow it does it right, YOU are doing it wrong_.

Ethril

If you expect AI to solve your problem for you, _even if somehow it does it right, YOU are doing it wrong_.
Yes, from a very high level, it can be useful. Though, in my tests, algorithms it generated were often buggy to the point of being useless. My comment was a response to someone saying "AI can write you a script" which, it can't reliably do.

Xaxx

In house engine usually goes hand in hand with in house coding tip/tricks/links.... they would have to get their hands on a VI and actually train it using ddo/lotro..... your going to train something with code thats already fubared..... wanna guess exactly how thats gonna go in the long run????

I'm with the people above, it would probably delete itself, or perhaps just fry everything it can find involving game code...

Also remember how many times theyve changed something to ***** something else, with various people stating in chats or just right on here or leaking after they've left the company about how much they dont even know is linked together and where, why changing one thing breaks other variables that have nothing to do with it.... a VI cant wont factor stuff like that in until its expected and at that point woooo boy i would love to see what it would do if it comes to the point that all the code should be like that LOL... all in all it probably wouldnt be any worse than the current group workin on it...