Why bother with this event?

healertank

No that I have heard, they only exist in Reaper difficulty
Correct the mind flayers only show up in reaper... which is another questionable decision actually because reaper caps what level you can be to go in and a lot of people are pissed because they don't play reaper (personally R1 is so easy that 1st life toons can do it, especially if they play with a friend or 3.) I think this may have been an attempt to make lower level toons feel they could be invovled at least. Not all the quests can be accessed by max level characters. half of the 8 discovered yesterday couldn't be accessed by a max level at all.

Last edited:

Ahpuch

Its pretty confusing what you do in this. I got a global message yesterday an invader had been found, but no indication as to where or what it meant, so I wandered around marketplace expecting something like the demon invasion but nothing. Assume it had been found somewhere in a quest or something? But which one??!
Did you ask in general? Probably someone would share the details with you in that channel.

healertank

Hmm, ok well at least I get to see the fun funky sky and kill some champs...better than nothing. Don't have any reaper ready toons or max level guys at the mo.
What do you mean reaper ready toons? A 1st life toon can run reaper 1. Grab a hireling or some friends even to make it easier.

Sylvado

Correct the mind flayers only show up in reaper... which is another questionable decision actually because reaper caps what level you can be to go in and a lot of people are pissed because they don't play reaper (personally R1 is so easy that 1st life toons can do it, especially if they play with a friend or 3.) I think this may have been an attempt to make lower level toons feel they could be invovled at least. Not all the quests can be accessed by max level characters. half of the 8 discovered yesterday couldn't be accessed by a max level at all.
R1 is not easy, it is far more difficult than elite. I play elite at +2 for the bonus and have very little trouble. I have only been successful in reaper at +4 for some low level short quests.

healertank

I'm sorry I guess it is wrong to say r1 is easy even on a 1st life toon. That might only be for experienced players that already know the quests so even a 1st life r1 run isn't that bad as is basically what hardcore is showing. However, I would suspect that if you ran with a few other similar players, even as a 1st life you could do it. Granted that means with limited time and not wanting to run with people you don't know etc... so I see the problem. Overall they just could have done this event a lot different.

Sylvado

I'm sorry I guess it is wrong to say r1 is easy even on a 1st life toon. That might only be for experienced players that already know the quests so even a 1st life r1 run isn't that bad as is basically what hardcore is showing. However, I would suspect that if you ran with a few other similar players, even as a 1st life you could do it. Granted that means with limited time and not wanting to run with people you don't know etc... so I see the problem. Overall they just could have done this event a lot different.
Exactly, I could join a group and tag along for the ride and contribute so little that the group would have done just as well, or perhaps even better without me. That would not be something I would be interested in.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
Devs, what the hell is this event design? My friends and I were extremely disappointed when we logged in to kill some mind flayer invaders only to find that we cannot find them. What is the point of an in-game announcement that does not tell us what quest to find them in once they have been discovered. There is no established method in-game for sharing this information either. By the time we were able to get any information on the locations, they were already farmed clean and gone. What the heck was the point of this for us? Why bother having such an event if you do not let all players get involved in it? You should just call it a lottery for the handful of lucky players that get to see a mind flayer instead of a global event. Please do better.
For run.

Sylvado

yep right on. As a middle school teacher, I know it is easy to fall into the trap.
It gets even worse as a technical trainer/teacher. I taught electronics at night school, then later doing technical training for medical equipment service engineers.

Ellisaria

I was kinda hoping for some illithid nautiloids floating over Stormreach for this event at the least! Maybe some intellect devourers scampering around and the occasional illithid random spawn in the market place?!?
There were some nautiloids over Gianthold yesterday when my group was doing the saga there
image.png

DDO Gaming

Devs, what the hell is this event design? My friends and I were extremely disappointed when we logged in to kill some mind flayer invaders only to find that we cannot find them.
Champ monsters have been upgraded with psionic abilities and REALLY hit hard

Sparty

Devs, what the hell is this event design? My friends and I were extremely disappointed when we logged in to kill some mind flayer invaders only to find that we cannot find them. What is the point of an in-game announcement that does not tell us what quest to find them in once they have been discovered. There is no established method in-game for sharing this information either. By the time we were able to get any information on the locations, they were already farmed clean and gone. What the heck was the point of this for us? Why bother having such an event if you do not let all players get involved in it? You should just call it a lottery for the handful of lucky players that get to see a mind flayer instead of a global event. Please do better.
I agree, I thought it would be spawning random mindflayers like the hounds during one of the hardcore seasons, I thought that was really fun. I still love that they are trying to add some events and switch things up a bit though, hopefully there will be more engaging events in the future.

Amorais

What do you mean reaper ready toons? A 1st life toon can run reaper 1. Grab a hireling or some friends even to make it easier.

I know it can be easy, I'm just too slow and tired for R1 and I always end up getting steamrollered in them so have only got 6 points on one toon as my best try.

Don't mind it being reaper biased this event tbh. There's still a metric ton of non-reaper content for slowbies like me.

mbartol

Murder Hobo
I agree, I thought it would be spawning random mindflayers like the hounds during one of the hardcore seasons, I thought that was really fun. I still love that they are trying to add some events and switch things up a bit though, hopefully there will be more engaging events in the future.
I wanted to be engaged with this event, but I wasn’t lucky enough to wander into one of the Illithids during my game session. Although I did run into several of the thrall champions, it would be nice to see one of the Illithid invaders.

A mechanic like the hound spawns in any quest or wilderness would engage all players that logged in to participate. Imagine having a mind flayer with a few thralls popping up in random locations.