Why the rush?

Onyxia2016

I have a very real question that I would like to get answered. Keep in mind there is no right or wrong answer as it will pertain to you.

Here goes....
I see a lot of posts about XP/minute or running quests fast so you can move on to the next one and repeat the process. I do not understand this.
I thought playing a game was to enjoy the time spent doing so. If you play with others, you also enjoy the comradery.
I play quests through to the end including optionals. Why would I bother playing at all if I am going to skip stuff. Yes there are quests that I could play blindfolded but it is still time spent playing. I do not rush to the next life because I would just be doing the same thing over in a new skin.
I see it like watching my favorite move. I do not fast forward though it to get to the end just to watch it over again. I enjoy it from start to finish. Otherwise, why watch it at all.

So to the question. What is the reason for rushing through content and lives just to do it all over again vs enjoying the journey?
So you get to the end and have class/race completionest, then what?

Thanks

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
To some people that is how they play the game,the challenge of getting completionest both class and racial. Then build a character so they can challenge the hardest content from lvl 1-32.

Onyxia2016

Thanks for the insight. That is something I look forward to doing one day.
Not in a rush to get there as once done with that content at that level there would nothing new to look forward to so I would probably stop playing and find another game.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
I like taking my time, playing with friends, and just having fun. If I dwell too much on the grind fest for reincarnation then I will begin to loose interest and enjoyment in the game. Being at level cap is nice, you can mow through things, but it gets boring quickly being able to just walk through quests with out any challenge (normal - elite). Of course, that's doing things way above level. . .it's the same on any mmo at cap though. The reincarnation system to me allows one to play through content again with the base challenge of doing it when one was meant to while gaining some added benefits each life you do so.

Onyxia2016

I like taking my time, playing with friends, and just having fun. If I dwell too much on the grind fest for reincarnation then I will begin to loose interest and enjoyment in the game. Being at level cap is nice, you can mow through things, but it gets boring quickly being able to just walk through quests with out any challenge (normal - elite). Of course, that's doing things way above level. . .it's the same on any mmo at cap though. The reincarnation system to me allows one to play through content again with the base challenge of doing it when one was meant to while gaining some added benefits each life you do so.

For a minute I thought there was something wrong with me and I was the only one that enjoyed the play though. Even though I have played all the content from 1-20 many times I still find it fun playing a new class or class/race combination to see how they compare to others. I also get some incite. Example, I did not think I would like playing a Barbarian. I usually gravitate to the cleric/paladin but barb is pretty fun.

Col Kurtz

For a minute I thought there was something wrong with me and I was the only one that enjoyed the play though. Even though I have played all the content from 1-20 many times I still find it fun playing a new class or class/race combination to see how they compare to others. I also get some incite. Example, I did not think I would like playing a Barbarian. I usually gravitate to the cleric/paladin but barb is pretty fun.
Indeed! I can see however ...after 40-50 past lives, the wheel has overspun itself off its hinges.

I'll never have the time to commit to that many past lives- it's Ironic that more casual players, with less time to play, enjoy the game more :)

TrinityTurtle

I play both ways depending on mood, But the simple answer is...I've been playing since 2009. Been there done that on every quest in the game, and after a while it's just about working on the character now. She's triple heroic class and iconic race completionist, with a handfull of epic destinies left to grab, and halfway through racials. Then I have to decide if I care about the alternate class past lives or not, but at some point exploring the quests became a done deal, I explored them to death. LOL It's why I don't ever look at new quests on lammania or read about them at all, and only play them when they go live so I have a short time of that exploring and newness again. I think in my personal opionion it's just the natural psychological progression of playing this type of game, the main variably being how fast or slow one this point.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
I plan on giving barb a try next reincarnation, not usually my play style, but I think there are some fixes on the horizon.
Besides, I'm old and constantly forgetting things from older content, so running through it again helps keep it fresh in my mind.

Scrag

I think its because the frequency you run through quests. There is some content I just won't do, because its inconvenient, hard to navigate the wilderness area, or generally uncool.

Conversely, there is some content I love. Easy to navigate, stress free wilderness areas, interesting quests with lots of dynamics for any character to bring to the party.

While I love this content, which I will run multiple times in a life because I love it so much, that doesn't mean I want to take the same amount of time to run it after the first or second go in a life. As such, I want to clear it a bit faster than slow. Anything new I want to run a few times to get a feel for it, after which I will progressively want to move through it faster.

Hope this helps explain my thoughts on this!

axel15810

For many/most character progression is the game, that is their enjoyment. They want to achieve things. They are having the most fun going at that speed. Also, what others see as rushing others see as just normal speed. Going at a faster pace is normal once you've done a quest many times and know it well.

Scrag

For many/most character progression is the game, that is their enjoyment. They want to achieve things. They are having the most fun going at that speed. Also, what others see as rushing others see as just normal speed. Going at a faster pace is normal once you've done a quest many times and know it well.
Solid point. You might be super excited about some new bauble (dark hunter for me!) that you want to execute an idea, but find its just not what you were hoping it would be and are looking forward to more enh points, more feats, more destiny points to try and make it work the way you were hoping.

In that case, a quicker push through is welcomed, because your initially bad idea might pay off in the end and getting to that end might make the char fun and enjoyable to play after all that effort.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
There is some content I just won't do, because its inconvenient, hard to navigate the wilderness area, or generally uncool.

Soooo true. There is some content in DDO that is plain annoying to do - quests like Phiarlan Carnival, Disciple of Rage and all Madness line are a pain to do. Quests on large wilderness areas are easy pick to skip on the grind past life wheel, devs should really implement fast travel to quests (without AS fees 🙄) to keep them viable.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
I think its because the frequency you run through quests. There is some content I just won't do, because its inconvenient, hard to navigate the wilderness area, or generally uncool.

Conversely, there is some content I love. Easy to navigate, stress free wilderness areas, interesting quests with lots of dynamics for any character to bring to the party.

While I love this content, which I will run multiple times in a life because I love it so much, that doesn't mean I want to take the same amount of time to run it after the first or second go in a life. As such, I want to clear it a bit faster than slow. Anything new I want to run a few times to get a feel for it, after which I will progressively want to move through it faster.

Hope this helps explain my thoughts on this!
Yeah, gianthold. . .at least it's on my list of a pain to travel through.

Palumtra

Definitely A Member
Really?
GH is one of the easiest to roam around, it even has teleports and epic slaying.

Menechtarum (very long paths and no epic slayers) and Eveningstar wilderness I feel are the worst offenders.

King's Forest an Storm Horns are indeed very large, I wish at least the camp points wouldn't go away with TR.....also, Invis helps a lot (until they implement the new DA system and mobs start to see you in red)

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
Really?
GH is one of the easiest to roam around, it even has teleports and epic slaying.

Menechtarum (very long paths and no epic slayers) and Eveningstar wilderness I feel are the worst offenders.
I don't use teleports 99% of the time to get around, I actually walk through wilderness areas. I'm of the mind that the teleporting to quests in the wilderness areas, though convenient, should most likely be removed. It's probably not a popular opinion if you just want to speed run dungeons and leveling. Of course, I also think that there should be a system where you can complete a quest and reacquire it with out having to trudge back to town.
I do agree that Menechtatum needs an epic/legendary update for the wilderness.
The only evening star wilderness I usually dislike is the storm horns, mainly because it's a handful of quests and a lot of empty space. . .they should add in some random walk ups to find out there.

Kasanje

YouTube Creator
I think this drive to rush to the endgame with all the bonuses has to do with play styles and how competitive an individual Gamer is. There are also benchmarks and comparisons to consider. If someone is running with uber-powerful guildmates or dungeon zergers, they may feel more inclined to match the pace of others. #thoughts #mytake #ddo

Scrag

Really?

Disagree with the first; getting around to get to the waypoints to start with is a frustrating chore.

To the second, I agree.