Wizards should have the option to pay the scroll and inscription fee and study the spells. It's exhausting to re-learn them after reincarnation

nym_craian

Now it's a reincarnation problem (there's no such thing in DnD), so maybe it could be fixed in the context of reincarnation. (I cannot judge to what extent such a modification would break the game system.)

E.g.: Past Life: Wizard feat
You were a Wizard in a past life. You occasionally find yourself wanting a good book. Each time you acquire this feat you gain:​
+2 to spell penetration checks​
+2 to the DC's of Wands you use​
+1 automatically learned wizard spell per wizard level

With one reincarnations feat, that's 3 spells per wizard level (It's total 60 free spell instead of 40).
With two reincarnations feat, that's 4 spells per wizard level (It's total 80 free spell instead of 40).
With the three reincarnations feat, that's 5 spells per wizard level (It's total 100 free spell instead of 40).

Valerianus

Former Captain Of The Rotten Shark
(...snip...)

I did. It says :
Once a wizard understands a new spell, she can record it into her spellbook.
Time: The process takes 24 hours, regardless of the spell’s level.
Space in the Spellbook: A spell takes up one page of the spellbook per spell level, so a 2nd-level spell takes two pages, a 5th-level spell takes five pages, and so forth. Even a 0-level spell (cantrip) takes one page. A spellbook has one hundred pages.
Materials and Costs: Materials for writing the spell (special quills, inks, and other supplies) cost 100 gp per page.
Nothing about "speak to the NPC and get all your spells" !

if the pnp rules from the book are supposed to be so important, why don't you propose a 24h cooldown for inscribe scroll? or the need to go into a magical study and click a desk that starts a 24h long induction bar?

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
I do not see why spell books are not a handed down item. Melee classes hand down all the gear and a spell book is just another piece of gear in that sense. Bank rare scroll can chew up valuable bank space as well. I got around that by creating an alt that is the keeper of the scrolls. All the rare scroll I get, even when playing a melee gets funneled to this alt for later inscription.

Early on when plat was actually limited newer players did not have millions of plat on 20 different bank alts, one had to carefully choose what scrolls they could afford in order to scribe them. Now days new players can quickly earn enough to just buy the entire shop.

I also think spellcasters should not use mana but have a certain amount of spells per rest available only.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Kipp

I'd like this option too, have an option to pay 2-4x the price of scrolls and materials and learn wizard/alchemist/artificer spells level by level. Back in the day this mechanic added flavour to the Wizard (and subsequently the others) but I feel now all it is is an annoyance, since the game has moved on from the days of slow leveling, when aquiring a new spell was a magical moment)

/Not Signed

Each character has a different thing. Scribing scrolls is one of my favorite things about wizards.

That speaks poorly to the state of wizard, if one of your favourite things is clicking a button and watching an animation! Nobody is saying that the old way should be removed, just that a shortcut should be added (for a much higher) cost for those that feel its nothing but busy-clicking.

Deathromancer

Its a pain? How many wizard lifes are you playing in a row? You know that you dont need to have all spells, right? Just the ones you want to actually use.
Been playing since game first came out, Back before TRs and when they nerfed a build you had minimal char slots and literally had to delete a tune to reroll one that took new game mechanics into consideration.. When you can have over 50 char slots on an acct with multiple caster tunes and TRS heroic/epic/racial x3 per if your hardcore TRing thats a ton of reinscribing , so the ease of having a perm inscribed spellbook for an acct
Its a pain? How many wizard lifes are you playing in a row? You know that you dont need to have all spells, right? Just the ones you want to actually use.
ok So i've been playing since game first came out, back when accts had minimal char slots and when they changed game mechanics that nerfed builds you had to delete the tune and reroll. factor in TRs epic/racial/heroic x3 if your hardcore TRing and mulitple tunes since older accts can have around 50 char slots them imagine how many times we have had to reinscribe spells (its annoying) like having to do korthos every life until they allowed you to skip it and had veteran lvl boost.

So yes not end of the world to have to inscribe, but annoying as heck when you been playing that long so I would be happy to play a convienance fee for a perm inscribed spell book once you have earned it or met qualifications they set up for it, its not game breaking and woulbe be worth it to me.

I currently have 5 diff wiz builds not including multiclass builds Since you can go Necro /archnamge ect and most have multi pass lives. If I had only been playing a few years and didn't have as many chars it would probably be no big deal. lol

Mordenkainen

I agree with everything said here but would like to add that Wizards and other spellcasters should have a 50% chance of spell fizzle or failure everytime they get hit with anything.

euHyYg.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Notadrizztvariant

I agree with everything said here but would like to add that Wizards and other spellcasters should have a 50% chance of spell fizzle or failure everytime they get hit with anything.

euHyYg.gif
please stop turning this thread toward your usual "I dislike people player casters" agenda. And you would be probably shocked to discover there is a mechanic like this in the game.

Mordenkainen

please stop turning this thread toward your usual "I dislike people player casters" agenda. And you would be probably shocked to discover there is a mechanic like this in the game.
I love casters and playing as you can see by my forum name.

I just think blasting spells like a machine gun is just absolutely stupid. It's one of the primary reasons why we're called OP, mana is so meaningless as a resource limiter.

Notadrizztvariant

I love casters and playing as you can see by my forum name.

I just think blasting spells like a machine gun is just absolutely stupid. It's one of the primary reasons why we're called OP, mana is so meaningless as a resource limiter.
I am not interested in trying to figure you out. All I see is you jumping into EVERY remotely related thread and turning it into your nerf casters-clownshow. We get it, you have repeated your stuff over and over and over again. I do not care if you open 10 new threads every day about your pet peeve. But I am absolutely tired of you hijacking threads with your tiresome agenda. And I am pretty sure I am not the only one.