XP System Suggestions

seph1roth5

I think players have a very cromulent point with the fact that xp pots are going to be worse. I hope they have SOME plan for that, like making them cheaper in the store. Also my plan B option to just lower the XP curve would help with that as well, and it's stretchy to encompass many crazy XP changes.

The Narc

I think players have a very cromulent point with the fact that xp pots are going to be worse. I hope they have SOME plan for that, like making them cheaper in the store. Also my plan B option to just lower the XP curve would help with that as well, and it's stretchy to encompass many crazy XP changes.
I hope not, i think anything that is such a luxury as to buy time avoidance should be pricey and should continue to rise in price equal to the inflation of today, xp pots and otto boxes should go up in price maybe double or triple. They have the analytics on hardcore people will style by them by the boatload.

As for making the xp grind less to compensate for the new change for vets wanting alts and new players trying to attain full past lives on a toon(neither of which i have chased at any point). This could be assisted by a couple of heroic xp changes, no more extra heroic xp for second and third life just keep it the base amount and you no longer need 3 past lives in everything, any one past life in something will give you the equivalent of the 3 past lives and all the bonuses that go with that, this is a big carrot and the whales would still by xp pots and otto boxes at double triple the price.

Win win!

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
It would be more sensible to lower the cost of digital items given the abysmal state of the economy in many countries today, after all one can't get water from a stone, as the saying goes. Smaller more affordable transactions will equate to more money in the long run, since the items for sale in question are digital, non-expiring, and will not cost anything to make after the initial design. But, if the game becomes too tedious and prices go up or even stay the same, then the client base for the game will most likely shrink, as will any potential profits. The current business/marketing policy which seems to be employed by SSG for DDO has never been shown to be successful, i.e. introduce problems into a game then sell solutions to play the game as it was normally intended as cash shop items or microtransactions.
I would much rather the dev team focus on quality content and systems, and fix the issues with broken things, such as certain feats no longer working with tree toggles, or alerts being triggered from normal dungeon play throughs, or the character bank space missing from the store after buying the 'support pack', or any number of many many other things which actually need to be fixed. From what I can tell the majority of the feed back has been against or very negative about the xp change, save for a few posts which look like trolling here and there. Not to mention it looks like most suggestions for alternate ways of doing things have been ignored. It seems that way at least.

I am betting that once the changes go live, regardless of the feed back, there will be a sale with in the next three to six months on xp pots, otto boxes, or some such other deal. Probably marketed as another limited time offer, or a get it now for 20% off or what not, while still costing over 10x's the amount of what other mmos might charge for the same item.

Neain

I am betting that once the changes go live, regardless of the feed back, there will be a sale with in the next three to six months on xp pots, otto boxes, or some such other deal. Probably marketed as another limited time offer, or a get it now for 20% off or what not, while still costing over 10x's the amount of what other mmos might charge for the same item.
They already did a sale on xp pots right after they announced the change with the first thread. xD

Kritikal

Here's an idea, to keep it simple:

Make every quest base xp = 500pts (or whatever this is just a number for this example). This number would be adjusted for difficulty and/or level.

kill <10 mobs without triggering DA = 2.5x base (this rewards stealthy play)
- ex. 5 mobs killed = 1250pts
for every 10 mobs killed = +10% (or whatever) to the base
- ex. 50 mobs killed = 500+250 = 750xp for the quest.
all optionals = +25% (or whatever) to the base
- ex. 71 mobs killed + 2 optionals completed = 500 + 350(kills) + 250(optionals) = 1100pts.

All of this is before XP pots are added.

Of course this entire thread, with ALL of the OPs better suggestions, are a moot point.

Last edited:

CBDunk

Random side comment / suggestion... calling the bonus 'Delving' does nothing to explain what it actually is.

Strictly speaking the 'Delving' bonus is a one time DIFFICULTY bonus. You get +50% XP the first time you run each difficulty level above Normal. If you go straight to Reaper that's +150%, if you do Hard first and THEN Reaper it's +50% on the first run and +100% on the second.

So why not call it what it is? 'First Time Difficulty Bonus', 'Difficulty Bonus', 'First Time Bonus', 'Progressive Difficulty Bonus'... SOMETHING more descriptively meaningful than 'Delving Bonus'?

Neain

Random side comment / suggestion... calling the bonus 'Delving' does nothing to explain what it actually is.

Strictly speaking the 'Delving' bonus is a one time DIFFICULTY bonus. You get +50% XP the first time you run each difficulty level above Normal. If you go straight to Reaper that's +150%, if you do Hard first and THEN Reaper it's +50% on the first run and +100% on the second.

So why not call it what it is? 'First Time Difficulty Bonus', 'Difficulty Bonus', 'First Time Bonus', 'Progressive Difficulty Bonus'... SOMETHING more descriptively meaningful than 'Delving Bonus'?
your posting this in the wrong thread.

Dergex

Increase bonus XP for all categories rather than just Conquest. Will have more people breaking things, worrying about traps and secret doors, and killing things. On top of this, change how optionals grant experience. Increase the experience contribution from a little bit to a significant amount depending on their complexity and time investment, then award the bonus XP during the question completion reward. Doing this should boost the overall completion of quests to cut down on speed running.

Also, a spicy take.. Increase Reaper XP for these things too. Right now when people are doing high end reaper runs they just aim for quick runs as it's all about efficiency. If you make it just as efficient or more efficient to fully complete a quest then people will start looking at that as a possibility.

Make sure that whatever you do though, it's a bonus from the current state of things. Don't make the current meta worse just to encourage people to do other things.

Xgya

I'd normally fully support experience on a per-kill basis, but it's yet another kick in the nads to stealth players that do their best to reach completion while passing by monsters they don't want to go full-on murderhobo with.
That's one of the reasons stuffing the experience behind Conquest irks me to some extent.

Give a discretion bonus based on the number of mobs alerted at once.
People that kill every small group they encounter should get it.
People that manage to avoid all the monsters get it too.
I'd say an Assassin that killed and hid bodies earned whatever counts as a being Insidious(ly) Cunning, same as a group that manages to kill guard patrols before more show up.

The real goal is rewarding people that don't alert and then go past a huge number of active mobs, because that's what's costing the server resources.
Discourage Invis Running by adding mobs that are actively searching for an invis/sneaking character to the Alert.
Deal with them or make sure they're no longer searching for you before you move on.