DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

Yulrem

Legend of The Troubled
Someone in the Northern New Jersey area should go to the data center and report from outside with a live action video news team.
And post it here.
Because some of y'all are so obsessed with this, would that even help?
Just do it once and broadcast it on loop

Xel

We can't imagine it because, in infinite timelines, it would happen and then cross dimensions to our world!

Shardrena

I guess our definition of panicking is wildly different. If you'd like to see a real display of panicking read any of the multitude of tumble threads in recent days.

Oh, I've been laughing at those too. While feeling absolutely baffled by why people are panicking over the change, since rapid Tumble wasn't a particularly useful skill to begin with outside of a few niche situations that look to no longer apply. Namely the slowdown in ankle deep water.

Definitely the pizza

I wouldn't turn down a pizza. Meat Lovers with garlic Alfredo sauce, please?

Yulrem

Legend of The Troubled
Oh, I've been laughing at those too. While feeling absolutely baffled by why people are panicking over the change, since rapid Tumble wasn't a particularly useful skill to begin with outside of a few niche situations that look to no longer apply. Namely the slowdown in ankle deep water.

I wouldn't turn down a pizza. Meat Lovers with garlic Alfredo sauce, please?
Cordo! Compensation.

Reglad

Ok, maybe just in my dream: Are they secretly preparing the next HC Season as an easter gift for the few, that stopped playing after they announced that this year wont be any HC again?! 🙈

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Personally, I think this is personal*...

It was "Hey, let's have a Hardcore season over the Christmas holidays. Jack don't like HC. 😉"

Now it's "Hey, let's shut the servers down over the Easter holidays. Jack has too much time on his hands.😉😉"

Both of these measures have resulted in me spending more holiday time with <shudder> my family and friends! 😲

It's a conspiracy. My whale of a missus** has paid them 30 years VIP for this. 😭

Laugh all you want at wee Jack and his tinfoil hat. Yeah, go on, laugh it up jokers. You won't be laughing when they come for YOU! 🙄

*Or just, something broke. 😂

**I wish to clarify missus isn't a whale in any sense! 😲***

***Because she can read. I love you darling. Happy Easter. Yes, breakfast is coming. ❤️🙂👍X

Krell

The evidence suggests a catastrophic hardware failure at the data center. All servers became unreachable at the exact same time. This is not a software failure. It’s a connectivity failure. SSG is at the mercy of the data center employees I suspect.
I’ve seen data centers go down for various reasons. Fire, flooding, cooling goes down, cut cables. In some cases servers are powered off to protect the hardware. SSG is dependent on the data center hosting company to resolve the issue before they can bring them back up. I don’t think SSG has the income to justify duplicate fail-over infrastructure in a separate data center.

pame12

I'm suprised they're still using datacenters outside of the big 3, google, microsoft, and aws.
Are they using those really old ones that just rent out some hardware and that's it? That's pretty depressing, that means that with issues like these, some serious damage can be caused...

Guys, can we start talking about the database? If it was an abrupt outtage like that, probably the database got fried too. How often do they take backups? Days? I placed a very high value item on the market place shard exchange for sale (over 2k shards) and that thing better not have dissapeared, holy ******* ****. I should have taken a screenshot just to make sure... ******* SSG doesn't know how to server host in 2020s...

RTN

We are continuing to work overnight to address issues preventing the game services from being available. If something changes overnight we will let you know, otherwise we will be back in touch in the morning. As to the cause, we have significant hardware that is not able to communicate properly, and we've engaged technical operations folks all day and night here to work on it at the data center.

Sorry this is ruining people's Easter weekend and thanks for working to get things back online for us.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

I’ve seen data centers go down for various reasons. Fire, flooding, cooling goes down, cut cables. In some cases servers are powered off to protect the hardware. SSG is dependent on the data center hosting company to resolve the issue before they can bring them back up. I don’t think SSG has the income to justify duplicate fail-over infrastructure in a separate data center.
If they've outsourced their DC then a DR plan would be expected of the supplier. Or somebody hasn't procured right. 👍

Aaumini

Guys, can we start talking about the database? If it was an abrupt outtage like that, probably the database got fried too. How often do they take backups? Days?...
Database backups come in different flavours for different purposes. I work with MS SQL Server databases and can't speak for other systems, but there are three different backup types: Full, differential/incremental and log.

It is customary to make a full backup only once in a while (days, weeks, months) depending on the size and activity of the database and then take differential/incremental backups with a higher frequency to create restore points where you only need to restore the latest full and the latest differential. After that you can apply the log backups to roll forward the database till the last point in time that a transaction log backup was taken and data remains in a consistent state. I administer a set of databases where we do weekly full backups, daily differential and five minute transacation log backups - it is totally possible for me to restore any database to any point in time where a transaction log was taken.

I remember that an update a few years back went wrong and they had to roll back to the latest backup which was well before the update took place. This was not good and I hope they learned from that mistake to create a robust backup routine (full, differential and log backups).

As players/users we can only hope SSG has the backup set up properly, but I am sure we will never know for sure. The only indication was that update a few years back where it became embarrasingly clear that they did not (at that time).