U66 Preview 2: Tumble Changes

Ying

5000+ hours played
The Tumble changes are reasonable. Good job finding a common ground.

I hope the pips are a placeholder. Those are annoying to look at.

dndclient64_vVoIgGUJyh.gif

Ahpuch

I like the changes and the fact that the new tumble mechanism. is hanging around.

I would not be disappointed if the Dodge bonus (or maybe duration) was tied to the users tumble score to reward a deeper investment in tumble. 1 point maybe should not give the full bonus? Maybe 2x tumble score to a max of 95%?

Ellisaria

I appreciate that the development team took the time to try to find a middle ground here. I am very excited to try out this change. I enjoy dynamic active combat and while I liked that I had a tool to keep up with more developed builds that had speed tools, I did not like the painful pinky strain it took to keep up with zergers. I hope the root of the issue (speed gap) is something that can be put on the (presumably long) to-do list because not every build can budget for 1 level of barbarian or has access to the ap needed for falconry sprint boost, racial ap for leaps/wings, etc. On HC, base Korthos expeditious boots are fine, but on live servers it really doesn't let someone keep up with someone who starts level one with a quiver of alacrity/3 scoundrel lives and 16 racial ap.

Some initial thoughts from what was outlined here:

1) If the way to view how many tumble charges you have is by holding shift and you have turned experimental tumble on, it seems like it would it be easy to accidentally use a charge if you are not standing still out of combat to "check". Without having tested it out yet, it sounds potentially awkward on paper. What about considering a UI element with a toggle to show/display for those who want it (similar to the display for network connection). A player could choose to have it (or not) and put it anywhere on their screen where it would be most convenient to see at a glance without a need to queue it to check.

2) In the preview you're adding charges to a Thief Acrobat and Mobility only for testing purposes. If this design gets kept, I hope you will add similar "+1 tumble charge" options to other trees like Monk and Shadowdancer (or basically every tree that has the option for taking skill selection that increases tumble). Perhaps for trees that say +1/2/3 to "skill", "skill", Tumble, you could add to the end "Rank 3: +1 Tumble Charge" to give it the opportunity cost of a 3 AP investment. Maybe this could be taken further to eventually look at "Dance of Wind" filigrees and add a +Charge somewhere in the set bonus.

3) I really like the 95% dodge bonus for 1s portion. Reflex boost equal to skill (not ranks) is a bonus that I need to give more thought on and play with to see how useful/practical it feels. On paper the reflex portion sounds good for traps, but less so for dodging spells that don't involve reflex saves. As it stands in this preview though, I don't see much of a reason to take tumble beyond one rank. The one rank gives you access to the skill and between various additive effects (Greater Heroism, Bard Songs, Tenser's, Etc) it is not terribly difficult to be getting the rolling dives on non-Dexterity/tumble-focused characters. To that end, I would like to add another layer of "choices" to character building with this tumble change: "For every #ranks in tumble, +1 tumble charge". This puts a hard cap on how many charges you could feasibly acquire in this fashion, but gives the option to do so at the cost of investing skill points into tumble. I think it works out when you consider that skill points and where characters spend them is an equivalent to training or specializing in a skill in the DnD setting. This way the Thief Acrobats, Ninja Spies, and Swashbucklers could be running around with 5 or 6 dodges (fitting for the class themes) while the Heavy Armor users/less skillpoint-heavy classes couldn't get that many charges and would have to "give up" other skill opportunities to get more.

Epicsoul

I like the changes and the fact that the new tumble mechanism. is hanging around.

I would not be disappointed if the Dodge bonus (or maybe duration) was tied to the users tumble score to reward a deeper investment in tumble. 1 point maybe should not give the full bonus? Maybe 2x tumble score to a max of 95%?
I like the idea of incorporating tumble skill into the new mechanics as well.

Rincewind

could stand to have a little more juice to it because it kind of is the tumble tree.
But overall this looks like a very solid change.
I can imagine the capstone providing the bonus of tumble to the whole animation or even one sec after :D

Que heavy armored tumbling tanks. This will become so dumb.

Yeah. Not sure how we got so disconnected from the basic idea that this is what evasion and high dodge numbers stood for on light armored builds.

The real answer here if people want to feel like they are actually dodging enemies/attacks is to tie the evasion and dodge to a key stroke and make it optional, not add more character power to the game.

CBDunk

First thing's first - Experimental Tumble Controls has been re-enabled for this preview. Assuming nothing seriously explodes, we expect it to stay enabled going forward.

Tumbling is now limited by charges. If you don't have at least one Tumble charge, you cannot tumble. By default, you have 2 maximum Tumble charges, and one Tumble charge returns every 8 seconds.

This is exactly what I suggested except for having fewer charges and a slower recharge rate. However;

Certain feats and abilities can boost your maximum Tumble charges and quicken their rate of return. For this preview, the following abilities have been adjusted:
  • Thief-Acrobat's 3rd core, Tumbler, now grants +1 maximum Tumble charge.
  • The Mobility feat now grants +1 maximum Tumble charge.
You may view your Tumble charges by holding your Block key, default left shift. Each green pip displayed represents one Tumble charge.

THIS potentially addresses that issue and encourages taking various tumble options. I'm a little concerned that there will be too few (or possibly too many) options, but we'll have to wait and see.

First suggestion would be to link some improvements to ranks of tumble itself. Maybe half a second faster recharge every 5 ranks or some such.

Tumble Benefits​

Tumble now grants you defensive benefits during part of the tumble animation. These bonuses only apply if you are actually tumbling - the shuffle half-step won't trigger these bonuses.

For this preview, Tumbling now grants the following:
  • 95% uncapped dodge for 1 second.
  • A bonus to Reflex saving throws equal to your Tumble skill for 1 second.

Um... wow? Didn't see that coming at all.

As someone who has played THE 'group trapper' consistently for 18 years now, these are fantastic and I want them. I want them now.

Realistically... they may be TOO good.
The reflex save bonus will make it possible for anyone with decent tumbling to bypass the vast majority of traps. You'll fail on a 1, and not even that if you have one of the relevant epic options. The dodge bonus is a nearly double strength improved uncanny dodge with 1/20th the duration, 1/15th the recharge rate, and ZERO cooldown. Any time you get in trouble you can do 2+ tumbles in a row to get out of there.

That said... please please please keep these. They're fine as is. Nothing can go wrong. We promise not to abuse them. Damn I want those.

Mcavity

intresting, I don't know if capping at 2 or 3 charges is best maybe at least 4? and 8 second recharge time seems rough.

Yamani

Tyrannical Overlord
The Tumble changes are reasonable. Good job finding a common ground.

I hope the pips are a placeholder. Those are annoying to look at.

dndclient64_vVoIgGUJyh.gif
I didn't even notice them at first cause they where covered by my green reaper wings...

Aaabbbcccddd

I really like the changes, it makes tumbling more meaningful. The problems I see with the charge system is, how are bards supposed to cancel out of the bardic inspiration animation now? Being a bard in a raid group is already miserable, and now it takes even longer. This is a really niche problem but I have encountered it more than a few times myself.

Rosze

I really like the changes, it makes tumbling more meaningful. The problems I see with the charge system is, how are bards supposed to cancel out of the bardic inspiration animation now? Being a bard in a raid group is already miserable, and now it takes even longer. This is a really niche problem but I have encountered it more than a few times myself.
This a great point. Really just make the songs a mass cast and that’s them fixed. It just takes so long to sing to all and really it would make sense to be an area effect. Like only one of you heard my song sure I’ll seranade you all individually 🤦🏼‍♀️

mikarddo

2 charges and 8 sec cooldown. Definitely dont add more or lower and dont add a load of ways to get more charges.

95% dodge uncapped even for 1 sec is crazy good. I think that will be used in ways you do not intend. Maybe only let that apply in light or no armor?

So, great job reducing the silly "rolling balls of super speed" but I think you added too much of a bonus defensively.

mikarddo

Good point. We definitely need group songs.

droid327

Dance of the Wind (filigree set) - 4 pc.: Whenever you tumble, you gain a 10% Action Boost Bonus to Movement Speed for 10 seconds. This may only trigger once every 30 seconds.

Any chance we can get this reduced to 10 sec CD, now that Tumble is charge based?

It'd at least let people build a "sprint dagger" swap item for an increase in runspeed out of combat. And give the filigree set a niche.

Rosze

Oh yeah. It will be even worse than the current tumbling.
It might just become a skill some people are really good at. Think it will be interesting to see how people will learn to avoid some hits better possibly. Does it feel bit like dark souls. Yes but I think in a good way.