DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

Warsaga

present day - present time
they should make a week-end event of it just to celebrate the most epic failure(s) , a quest in the kind of "The Pit" but with all the staff at their desk or in the facilities trying to bring all system back to normal.
That games already been made. Its called, Lax Team to the Rescue

Col Kurtz

LOL, data centers are built from the ground up to avoid that.

Everything is seperate and redundant.
server rooms are in every building and they connect to the data center which is usually not in the same building

I would assume the server rooms between SSG and the data center is where the problem is?

But we dont know for sure where their problem is...if its a data center our characters may look bare when we return, if they are there at all

Reactions: DBZ

rohmer

server rooms are in every building and they connect to the data center which is usually not in the same building

I would assume the server rooms between SSG and the data center is where the problem is?

But we dont know for sure where their problem is...if its a data center our characters may look bare when we return, if they are there at all
No one sets it up that way. 100% of the operational servers are going to be in a data center, usually azure or g-cloud.

The Narc

As i said a billion posts ago dont expect anything before monday, i mean cordovan was posting in between courses at his family saturday easter dinner, even posted a quick one right after dessert. Obviously you didn’t hear from him until the morning after had a restful sleep.

They really “Rimstrommed” it this time!!!

I hate it when i am right, just saying

rohmer

As i said a billion posts ago dont expect anything before monday, i mean cordovan was posting in between courses at his family saturday easter dinner, even posted a quick one right after dessert. Obviously you didn’t hear from him until the morning after had a restful sleep.

They really “Rimstrommed” it this time!!!

I hate it when i am right, just saying
The fanbois are gonna flame you

Smelt

almost 4 hrs since the last update..... guessing we aren't getting back up and running until after the weekend guys. The particularly worrisome thing is, from the feed back so far, no one seems to even know what the cause of the problem yet.

Kimbere

I’ve seen data centers go down for various reasons. Fire, flooding, cooling goes down, cut cables. In some cases servers are powered off to protect the hardware. SSG is dependent on the data center hosting company to resolve the issue before they can bring them back up. I don’t think SSG has the income to justify duplicate fail-over infrastructure in a separate data center.
Ahh, here it is again... the "poor, poor little indie studio SSG" card. That sympathy card has some serious, unwarranted miles on it.

Pro-tip - They're a multi-million dollar company (not even counting the LoTRO revenue) who's literal entire business is selling 1s and 0s.
If they haven't "justified" having a proper offsite failover plan then they have essentially "decided" they don't want to stay in business if/when they encounter a true DR scenario.

If they've outsourced their DC then a DR plan would be expected of the supplier. Or somebody hasn't procured right. 👍
IT history is littered with the corpses of hosting companies who suddenly shutdown / failed virtually overnight.

Trusting your hosting provider to also be your DR site/planner is putting all of your eggs in one basket. Not a good idea.

Redundancy is one of the core tenets of DR planning. Diversity (in your service providers) is one of the core tenets of redundancy.

Last edited:

Smelt

It'll probably turn out that a weekend cleaner pulled a plug out to plug in their vacuum cleaner.

Smelt

Of course it is just as likely that Cordovan and the servers are being held hostage by some deviant gamers alliance, until the dev's fix the ladder bug and/or put Tumble back to it's former iteration.

Col Kurtz

No one sets it up that way. 100% of the operational servers are going to be in a data center, usually azure or g-cloud.
ah ... ty for making me read up

Data centers can be anywhere....they don't have to be in a building designed for servers and protected from catastrophes.

I don't need to read up to know that it's common for office space that does not get rented to be leased to companies as data centers. Any space will do to keep cost effectiveness.

I doubt SSG uses a fancy provider with well protected infrastructure.

Pilbie

Redundancy is one of the core tenants of DR planning. Diversity (in your service providers) is one of the core tenants of redundancy.
PSA. Scroll past if you don't care. ;) :)

It's TENET, not TENANT. Tenant is either that annoying guy who rents the apartment next door, or David's last name missing an N.

(yes, I'm bored.)
(also yes, I'm pedantic)