SSG: Time to reel in 18/1/1 builds

Hireling

I'm aware :)

But the issue is, how many of those is out of how many Capstones in total that one would be aiming for? ~8? Out of ~60 Capstones? That's a very small percentage of Capstones.

J1NG
I guess my biggest wish (not complaint) is that some of my favorite classes/builds could use a pass or rework.
I'd love for Warchanter to get a little buff.
Warpriest needs a CHR or WIS to hit/damage like Warsoul.
Sacred Fist just needs a trance, or let us use the one from KotC. I'd spend the AP.
I wish I could get crit expansion and multiplier and the DEX trance (HW) on Ranger. But AP is so tight with Tempest and DWS. I do understand that both of those are good and that Ranger itself as a class is solid and Favored Enemy is absolutely slept on as a buff. But it'd be nice for access to the Dex trance.

As I proofread this post...I also realize I just power-crept my favorite classes...

Hireling

I dont think L4-max classes really count as "casters" like L6-max do, to warrant having capstone spells

Arcanotech could get Thunderstroke as a capstone though, sure. Their current capstone is hot garbage and Stormsinger gets it in their spellbook already. Eladar's is already pretty obsolete by L20.

Warlock gets TtS and Energy Drain. Those could probably be updated to something a little more enticing
Maybe the Radiant Servant Paladin Capstone could get heal? Though, I'd probably still never pick it. But I'd think about it..maybe test drive it after an ETR and before TR?
Or the Radiant Servant Paladin Capstone could maybe get a Regenerating Lay on Hands like the Regenerating Smites?

Kimbere

18/1/1 has no place in D&D and same in DDO. There are strict dual and multi-class rules for a reason and you have been careless about it. Capstones for most classes are p*ss-poor and outright trash for some of them. For once, do something about this and bring this game closer to D&D.
PROpoR7.png

droid327

Maybe the Radiant Servant Paladin Capstone could get heal? Though, I'd probably still never pick it. But I'd think about it..maybe test drive it after an ETR and before TR?
Or the Radiant Servant Paladin Capstone could maybe get a Regenerating Lay on Hands like the Regenerating Smites?

Paladin doesnt get Rad Serv though, only Fist does. And it'd be weird giving Rad Serv capstone something that Clerics couldnt use (like LoH), or would be pointless (like Heal or Cure Mass), especially since Cleric is already a L9 caster class

Rad Serv capstone needs a little more oomph, but I dont think it needs more spells. Maybe change the guaranteed crit mechanic to something like "Light of Life: activate to get +100% Positive crit chance on your next Cure Wounds or Heal spell, or Positive Burst. This has a cooldown of 12 seconds". That might be enough to make Rad Serv worth taking as a skilled raid healer, or as a casual group healer/tank for Fist.

drjoans

kinda-known member
I mean if we're talkin roleplaying d&d there's plenty of people that make backstories for their characters as to why they have a single level of this or that. Raised by wolves but shunned by the pack for being hairless- 1 level of druid had to survive on the streets when discovered in the forest and brought to civiliztion-1 level of rog, taken in by a wayward mercenary and taught how to fight 18 levels of fighter. Whatever whatever

Well, as capstones are useless if you are on the racial TR train, and 1 level of Barb gives you 10% move speed... getting that train rolling faster is a no brainer.

Teh_Troll

I'd prefer they just made the capstones better.

I mean it's been at least two days since I bitched about nerfing the Tempest capstone and I have a reputation of a curmudgeon that I need to uphold.

Falkor

Wow. Another bunch of fabricated outrage over yet another nothing burger.​

Is it me, or are these types of posts generally created by the least experienced players in the game? It almost seems like they are in a state of constant jealously because others have something they don't ....

MOXY!

And nothing will ever change that, no matter how much is nerfed or changes made.​

Even if OPs nerf request was made. It'd just move the bar to the next thing to complain about. And then the next. And next. And next.

All the nerfs in the world will not change the fact that experienced players have skill and adapt. Some people will always eat dust, no matter how many nerfs they beg for to shackle other players. All that energy put into complaining could be better directed into improving, learning and adapting. I lack the words to fully express my disdain.

So ... Whatever. This thread should be locked.​

Last edited:

Vox

18/1/1 has no place in D&D and same in DDO. There are strict dual and multi-class rules for a reason and you have been careless about it. Capstones for most classes are p*ss-poor and outright trash for some of them. For once, do something about this and bring this game closer to D&D.
How about... no

Pano

It is already almost turn-based on orien, go play there if you want more D&D style

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Why do you keep asking the devs to make the game less fun for other people?

Better capstones, sure. But there's no need to make multiclassing worse.

Enoach

Discussions on worth/worthlessness are usually subjective.

Generally, the point of a multiclass is diversity in abilities. We have several Level 1 options that are popular for a player because of their playstyle.

In the 1 to 20 race, these dips are very popular as most builds are really only planned to level 18 as by that time running the content they want to run they either have enough to get to 20, or are very close. Here the Capstone is not even in the equation.

I've seen players get upset because a splash 1 rogue can do traps better than they can - It is usually due to gear and buffs as over the many years of playing DDO it has become very apparent that gear and buffs make up more of a rogues skills then the skill points applied. Gap gets even bigger in Epic.

I remember AD&D having restrictions on penalties for xp. I don't remember these limits in 3.5, but it has been awhile.

In all honesty I want hard choices to be available, but that is difficult if there is actually players playing different games within the game. Some are only going to 20 just long enough to return to 1. Others might be going to 30/32 and back to 20. The worth of each class/feature changes based on which game you are playing as well as your style.

woq

What's wrong with 18/1/1 builds? I heavily disagree with the premise in general despite seeing the value of said builds. Non-casters are in a good position since they aren't required to be pure as often and melees have way more options out there.

Even the 1 warlock splash OP mentioned is mostly for high end raiding, you don't get full benefit of the uptime in all of general questing. Hardest spawn in the quest could be the first and you end up with close to no benefit from it - you might have to kite and lose your stacks, might die, the targets are often dead before your buffs are stacked up... It can take minutes to get the stacks to relevant levels, and taking a break to rest, shrine, interact or listen to quest NPC's yap or whatever and you lose them.

Even watching some r10 solo completions or 3-4man r10 raid completions, 1 warlock splash is far from full uptime. Often it's more like 3-5 MP. Like actually look at the uptime when playing a warlock splash build. It is far from perfect. In general it excels in high end game for the power it grants which is a lot but it is in no way a nobrainer for general populace. In fact I'd go as far as to say it is a bait for majority of players unless they have specific use case they need it for - like being full tilt dps in reaper raiding or being in charge of a significant portion of LH raiding dps, or if you're part of a group that blasts through r10 quests so fast that it ends up being unnecessary anyway, in which case again some other splash could be superior in practice to free up an epic feat and splash for something else.

The build diversity of DDO is one of the major draws. 18/1/1, 18/2, heck even 16/3/1, 15/5, 14/5/1, 12/6/2, 12/5/3 - these are all welcome to compete with pures. If everyone ran pure the game would be hella boring. I see way more builds rocking than 18/1/1's, even if I'm an avid fan of the 18/1/1 split myself on barb/dragon lord; next build I'm doing is gonna be something else that will also excel at something else.

I'd also like to see some more inconventional breakpoints for class benefits - like the recent Dragonlord at 8 and 16! Paladin 14 for Holy Sword / 15 for Zeal. 12 rog for Imp Sneak Attack, 1-3 for trances. Choices like this grant more potential to unconventional class setups and level breakdowns, even if the 18 cores being as strong as they are works as a sort of limiting factor, and people being tied to trance access via splashing. Personally, I think if they added a strong universal melee tree that had a strong trance within 10 points instead of the 20 of Falconry that would obliterate half of the 18/1/1 builds right then and there and we would be left with the conundrum of several pure builds suddenly potentially looking too attractive compared to competition.

That is not to say that there aren't plenty of capstones that could really use some help. stuff that isn't strictly tied to a simple "is 18 core or 20 core or 18/20 class levels strong enough to trump all other choices?" or alternatively "Are the core benefits so weak that they are never worth the oppourtunity cost" - these two questions are relevant and need to be considered. I think the latter question is the bigger culprit in majority of cases.

If it's too weak, nobody will play them and that sucks. Long cooldown activated abilities such as the Warchanter one are not the way to balance capstones imo unless they are extreme steroids like the Implacable Foe for Clerics (although that tree has other problems: namely ctrl + f: "melee power" (0 hits)) and poor synergy of Cores/t5's with ED's and Domains.