5th Edition versus 2nd

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
One of the things I liked about AD&D was the experience. You gained XP from mobs, story, loot, quests, etc. But, from my understanding, most of the XP came from loot, not from killing. Example: To go from level 1 to level 2 in 3.5 it takes 1,000 XP. In AD&D it takes "about" 2,000 XP, depending on your class. Now, to gain 1,000 XP from killing mobs in 3.5, it takes 10-ish goblins, if flying solo. That's one encounter. In AD&D, on the other hand, it would take roughly 133-ish goblins to get to level 2. See, in AD&D, you earned your XP. Leveling was an accomplishment. Took forever to get to 20th, if you ever made it. Now, 5th Ed requires 300 XP to get to 2nd level, which means maybe 6 goblins. I'm surprised there aren't more level 5 warriors among commoners. Not even going to get into the details of how much more brutal AD&D was.

Newer editions are easy, even with the mob HP bump.
Very true but back then the game was about combat. Now it's about flowersniffing and theater and therapy and feelings.

We also had feelings back then. Feelings of joy, bathing in the blood of our enemies

shmagmhar

Very true but back then the game was about combat. Now it's about flowersniffing and theater and therapy and feelings.
One group I play with is exactly like this ! it can be a nice contrast when you have been in games with zero intrigue or negotiation but it does get a bit boring after awhile

Kissfan

we play Hackmaster 5th edition it's really 2nd edition as the game started as a ad&d joke due to a threatened lawsuit against Wizards anyways it's a much lower power game than d&d but it feels a little like 2nd edition

Lacci

The only D&D Edition I´ve ever played was AD&D 2nd.
Might be a bit unpopular opinion, but I´ve always hated it. I really didn´t like the whole thac0 and AC system and wizards being useless at lvl 1 and overpowered later on...
Haven´t played 5e. All I know about it comes from viewing streams, reading the players handbook and playing BG3.
From what I can tell, it seems to be a bit too complicated in some places, like keeping track what abilities you used how often since the last short rest.
But of course if you have a good DM and a good group, you can have fun with both ...

Toede

The only D&D Edition I´ve ever played was AD&D 2nd.
Might be a bit unpopular opinion, but I´ve always hated it. I really didn´t like the whole thac0 and AC system and wizards being useless at lvl 1 and overpowered later on...
Haven´t played 5e. All I know about it comes from viewing streams, reading the players handbook and playing BG3.
From what I can tell, it seems to be a bit too complicated in some places, like keeping track what abilities you used how often since the last short rest.
But of course if you have a good DM and a good group, you can have fun with both ...
Honestly, I think 5e is pretty streamlined. It does a lot of things right in respect to keeping the game fun rather than getting bogged down in the rules. Some things are a bit too simplified for my taste like combat initiative but it's a solid edition of the game and if you didn't like AD&D because of things like Thac0, you may find 5e more to your liking.

WildJax

5E is great for folks that want to just play a game and not spend hours trying to figure it out. But has far less magical items and spells less interesting treasures. 3.5E is much more fun for folks that have played P&P for years on end,

Jasparius

I played Basic, AD&D, 3.5e and 5e. In recent years AD&D and 5e.

5e is great because each class can do a lot more early on. In AD&D it was the role of the Fighter to try and keep everyone alive until the Thief gets enough skills to thieve, the Cleric gets enough spells to heal, and the Magic User gets enough levels to destroy worlds.

5e everyone can do something early on. Certainly ranged damage can get very silly but GMs can add lots of tight corners if it gets out of hand.

Ive never bothered multiclassing in 5e but you can get some ridiculous combos there too.

I have heaps of AD&D modules from the early to mid 1980s and when using them for 5e just buff all the monster numbers and give them max HP. The stories translate just fine. Though it is interesting working out how to explain a Sheik's harem to 11 and 12 year old kids....