FYI Each gold festivult coin turned-in gives you ~21% chances for 6 curse cards of one type

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
Sample based on 3500 gold coins turn-ins:
- 1170 Otherworthly
- 990 Forbidden
- 1266 Uncanny
- 1056 Accursed
= 4482 curse cards

This means at average one gold coins gives a little bit more than one card, 1.28 to be exact basing on my sample.
Also the chances are rather set to 20% than 25%. With my 21% I was lucky.

I believe the odds should be equal among all 4 types, but RNG gods weren't in the mood.

Years of savings on those useless cookies finally paid off.. sheesh.

PS. Along with cookies this sample gave bunch of old junk:
- 3 marks of Silver flame
- 1 purified Eberron fragment
- 2 mark of Yugoloth
- 5 pearls of power X
- 3 brooch of shielding (50/50 charges)
- 1 Lesser experience elixir 10% / 3 hours
- 4 stone of luck
- 1 Greensteel Heavy Pick (unbound)
- 5 Sun blades
- 9 Dwarven Throwers

Blerkington

Thank you for writing this up for us. This will be useful for those people who are using the cards system.

It seems like we are going to be force fed these cards until our innards explode. First huge card payouts for saga completions, then essentially just giving them away like this. Maybe the great card adventure hasn't been such a success after all.

So perhaps it's time to consider going back to loot systems that allow us to progress steadily towards worthwhile rewards of our own choosing. You know, rather than offering yet another way for us to flush our time and resources down the toilet with these stupid ******* crapshoots.

PaleFox

Or it has been such a succes SSG decided to implement it more often.
Seeing that those cards are a nice way to give you just that bit more of sway.
To bad the OP did not get any cleaners out of it, gold coin turn ins would be a nice place to put that in the game.

droid327

Years of savings on those useless cookies finally paid off.. sheesh.

Hate to break it to you man, but those cards are just going to sit in your bank for the next 15 years now lol. You'll be wishing you could trade them for a stack of Teleport cookies or something.

At least you got an XP pot though. That's probably the one actual win out of all your draws :D

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
Do the cards dop on the other 2 types of coins at all? Or just the gold?
Mostly the gold (20% each turn in).
Silvers gives only silver-specific cookies, but have ~1% to get gold table - and then may give cards. 6 cards (one roll) in about 500 turn-ins (1000 coins). Don't bother.
Coppers gives twigs, coal and sunflasks alot, but have ~1% to get silver table - and then 1% of silver table to upgrade to gold - and then may give cards. Average one roll (6 cards) every 50 000 turn-ins (150k copper coins). Don't bother ^2.

Last edited:

Blerkington

There's not a whole lot of point in making cards much more widely available if everyone is already participating in the challenge quests and has plenty of cards already. So trying to spin massive card giveaways as an indicator of success doesn't make a whole lot of sense. What it actually is is an effort to draw more people in.

My basic problem with these systems is they inevitably set up some portion of the community to fail. So I really question the wisdom of adding things to the game which for some people are bound to be unsuccessful, especially when to participate requires a significant amount of work (or spending, but more on that later). It seems like adding systems that allow everyone who participates in them to get a good result (after a reasonable amount of work) would be the better choice. So we can all enjoy the results of the activity.

The other thing is how bad outcomes work in this. As well as loss of time and effort acquiring cards and gaining nothing useful in some cases, players also effectively lose the possibility of upgrading that particular item. If cleansers were more widely available this would be less of a problem but they aren't. I suspect SSG will very generously make cleansers for sale at some point and the sad thing is some people will then cheer them on for their willingness to listen to the community.

One very sleazy thing about this system is it preys upon people with a poor grasp of probability and those who have impulse control problems with gambling. Even without selling cleansers SSG is cashing in on this system because they sell Astral Shards and cards can be purchased for AS. So this system is pretty clearly designed to take advantage of the part of the population (which includes children) who have these problems.

With some tweaking this system could have been a decent addition that didn't add much power and did add some fun for nearly everyone. But what we have now is a poorly designed and somewhat predatory piece of garbage. Apart from those people who got very lucky, the only winners are SSG and those who made bank selling cards to the rest of the population. So it's not quite a case of the only way to win is not to play, but it's pretty damn close.

Last edited:

Marshal_Lannes

Here is the thing. The players that are going to spend hundreds of cards doing curses and cleansing curses already are probably completionists in everything the game offers. They already have 156 reaper points and hundreds of past lives. Their gear already has reaper and mythic bonuses. They already have an insurmountable power advantage. Now they will have another 5% advantage with optimized curses on all their gear. And for what? They were already significantly better than almost everyone else playing. There is a clear attempt to flood the market with cards, but I just don't find the system fun. Why do I even want a cursed item? Why are you pushing me to curse every item I wear? What sense does that make thematically? Every character walks around with these mass-cursed items?

Striga

Here is the thing. The players that are going to spend hundreds of cards doing curses and cleansing curses already are probably completionists in everything the game offers. They already have 156 reaper points and hundreds of past lives. Their gear already has reaper and mythic bonuses. They already have an insurmountable power advantage. Now they will have another 5% advantage with optimized curses on all their gear. And for what? They were already significantly better than almost everyone else playing. There is a clear attempt to flood the market with cards, but I just don't find the system fun. Why do I even want a cursed item? Why are you pushing me to curse every item I wear? What sense does that make thematically? Every character walks around with these mass-cursed items?
yeah it would be so much better if the game simply stagnated, offer no more goals to achieve for those players, so that they gtfo and spend their money elsewhere. because it totally ruins my fun if someone else has more cards than I do.

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
Incorrect. Silver coins provide card too. Possible copper too.

They can, yes. Copper and Silver coins have small chances to upgrade to higher coins' tables, meaning they can (albeit rarely) roll onto the Gold tables.

It's irrelevant, for silvers it's 1% chances times 20% chances is one (6 cards) roll every 500 turn-ins (1000 silver coins).
I've just turned-in 2000 silvers, and got only one card roll (6 uncanny cards).

For copper you prolly need to hit "higher table coin" twice, 1% times 1% times 20% - one in 50 000 turn-ins (150 000 copper coins).

Same as saying there are trees in the desert.

popejubal

So? The curse cards are up there with GOMF in terms of sheer uselessness.
You can’t get exactly the benefit that you’re targeting reliably, but you can add some nice stacking benefits easily and nothing negative gets added unless you’re allergic to Featherfall or butterflies.

You still get to keep all of your existing benefits and you’re guaranteed to get something nice even if it isn’t directly useful to you (again - allergies notwithstanding).

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
You still get to keep all of your existing benefits and you’re guaranteed to get something nice even if it isn’t directly useful to you (again - allergies notwithstanding).
If by "nice" you mean "completely useless", that's what I've been getting so far. As in, they have not improved my character in any way at all. Ranged power on melee, spell DCs on melee, spell power on a raged melee, underwater breathing...