Artificer Issues

Baahb3

Can we get a level 30 (or something higher than level 22) Warforged Hireling? Barbarian (2H), Fighter (SnB). Maybe a Bladeforged Paladin Greatsword wielder?

NightHiker

My personal experience on a non-summoner (with an epic rodericks wand)...
Teal, Frogo, Darling, Satyr, Owlbear all kind of suck for R+ content.....
The Shield Guardian is like "WOW"... he can really tank stuff...

Honestly I run with the Shield Guardian and dont even bother summoning others (unless I need Elieri to let me do DDoor....)
Well, you need to have the boosts from Primal and Magus, but on higher reapers they'll still need constant healing, like pretty much any player that gets hit on those difficulties. And if you use the Primal mantle, which is the only way to make hires relevant DPS wise, the more of them you have out the better, as each will have their own procs on hits. And even the ones that are not as tanky as the Guardian (thought the Scarecrow is close) can still provide a barrier that mobs cannot cross if they're between you and the mobs. So it demands some good strategy and tactics, including taking advantage of the environment, but when employed properly they're very useful.

I just finished a legendary Finding Dorris solo run on r10 using the hires and the legendary and epic wolf summons to tank the final boss - I'd never be able to do it without them, since you cannot let him leave the room or he'll rubberband, and all the traps make moving around it pretty hazardous. So I just stayed right at the door zapping him and his gang while the hires and summons tanked him and provided a barrier they couldn't cross.

Cheers,
NH

Baahb3

I realize that I am shouting at a chasm where all things crap go to die in DDO. But seriously, if you do nothing else, for the love of god, up the damage of the Iron Defender.

I thought building for it would give it some semblance of damage, I mean it has a 70 strength at level 20! It does between 50 and 60 damage, WITH deadly weapons. I know you don't want them running amok but at least make them equal to hierlings at that level.

Cheeps

Tired Member
Pets and runearms are the two things I hate about that class.

They should make runearm something that we can put on our hotbar instead of having to keymap it.

The pets are just rubbish at everything you try to get them to do, then they bug out completely forcing a restart if you want them to come back.

Baahb3

Can you make the Pet's level = Character level some way? Maybe make it part of Improved Augment Summoning? Because right now your Pet Level equals your Pet Class level (+Epic/Legendary).

I would like to be able to multi-class and still have my pet be able to equip stuff like a Dino Bone Docent.

Baahb3

As for augments on pet equipment, old augment slots continue to work. Something with how the new slots are coded is what is wrong.

Baahb3

The Pet character sheet does not display MRR value. Please add this to the pet's character sheet.

Defenses:

Unless you start to add additional equipment slots for pets, they need some help in their enhancements. To be honest, I would like to see a Defensive and Offensive tree built for them taking advantage of our current enhancement tree design, but that might be asking for a bit much at this point. So adding some values to the already granted enhancements might be a substitute for now.

On the PRR/MRR front. It would be nice to have some built in values for these. Add it to Adamantine Plating or Reinforced Armor. Something like 10/15/20/25 to both PRR and MRR (not cumulative) at Plating tiers 1-4 seems like an ok value. As a bonus, maybe at tier 3 or 4 adding immunity to Magic Missiles would be nice. This is slightly less than the four heavy armor feats Fighters can take.

Another nice option would be to add +Dodge/Dodge cap into Danger Avoidance. +2 Dodge and Dodge Cap at each tier seems ok.

Lets face it, the pet will never get a skill high enough to make Intimidate or Bluff worth it. Let us change Menacing Growl and Distraction to something useful.
--Menacing Growl can give +To Hit since Pets need lots of help in this department. +5 per tier does not seem over much. Or better yet, +3% per tier if you are feeling generous.
--Distraction should give Deception/Improved Deception abilities. Tier 1 gives Deception as normal. Tier 2 adds +2s to the Deception effect. Tier 3 adds Improved Deception (so we get two chances to proc). Tier 4 adds +2s to the Improved Deception effect.

Fixing the Augment problem on pet gear would help with some of these issues.

On a side note, if you don't want to or if it would be too much to add additional gear slots....with the fix to Augments, maybe you could add additional augment slots to pet gear. Give high level named docents (pet only) and pet collars the Thirteen treatment, with one augment of every variety. Something to consider.

Long term:
Pets don't gain any enhancements through Epic/Legendary levels from what I can tell. They gain Toughness and Natural Armor as they gain levels but it would be nice, especially with some of the above recommendations, to have some upgrades to them.
--Stat increases to Strength and Dex
--Increased Adamantine DR (Adamantine Plating)
--Sneak Attack: Attack and Damage (Skillful and Ruthless Deception)
--Level 30 ability like our own Legendary Feat choice at that level

P.S. The Wiki lists a bug at level 31 where it looses a lot of HPs. Has this been fixed and the Wiki is outdated or is this still a problem? Not there yet to test myself.

Baahb3

The Pet's character sheet could use some of the intellisense fields like the PC's character sheet has.

Hovering over AC to show Dodge Chance and Dodge Cap.
Hovering over HPs to show Heal/Repair/Negative Amp.
Attack Bonus and Melee Power boxes next to BAB box.

Good idea FaceDancer. I will throw this thread's link over there to see if I can get some visibility over here.

tolanj

Pets should have your stats for HP, AC, saves, PRR, MRR etc. That would keep them competitive with content
So 1 level of Arti on a tank gives you a second, resummonable, tank? Also this would be a neft to lots of pets heroic say.

I would have no issue with buffs to the above _from pet class trees_ also applying to the pet in general

Wist™

Anybody else having flame turret issues? My cooldown isn't cooling down. It counts down a few seconds and the cooldown resets itself as if I'd just used it.

Baahb3

Wist, I was not able to reproduce this. Cooldown was normal. Tested in EN No Refunds with level 20 Artificer.

Baahb3

Can Weapon Attachment (Battle Engineer T5), be usable while moving? I don't have it, but I am guessing the Warforged enhancement of the same name could use the same treatment.

Baahb3

Is there a reason why Epic Mage Armor is capped at caster level 9? Making it a max of 10 Min duration? Not that it is a big pain to recast it but seems strange that its duration is not the same as regular Mage Armor.

Baahb3

Those spells buff someone's armor (it's in the names :) ), so my guess is the pet's regular body plating does not count as an actual armor piece for that purpose.

Cheers,
NH
I am actually going to call shenanigans on this. It seems that no hierling has 'armor' on if this is the case. I have been testing Thunder Armor on fleshie hierlings, like Garret (Level 25 FvS) for example. Does not land on them either. I think there is something broken here.

Last edited:

Baahb3

The Iron Defender's Trip ability only shows 10 + Str Mod. There are docents with Vertigo on them. Does vertigo work with your pet? The sunder ability does show 10 + Str Mod + Sunder Boni. Neither show the DC on the ability like Player ones do so it would be really tough to tell if it does or not.

Speaking of all things pets. There is little to no Pet related combat log stuff recorded. It would be nice to see some of this in the combat log so you can check to see what is working and what is not.

Baahb3

P.S. The Wiki lists a bug at level 31 where it looses a lot of HPs. Has this been fixed and the Wiki is outdated or is this still a problem? Not there yet to test myself.
I can confirm that this still exists. Over 3400 at level 29, 3200 at level 32.