Build suggestions please.

Dman1970

Returning player. Toon is a Half-Orc Barb. I have asked a lot of question in other threads. I normally am decent at making builds, but the game has changed a lot in 10 years, I feel so lost because what was good then isn't good now and yadda yadda yadda. So I am asking, please help me with a good build for my toon. Please use simple language and full descriptions at least at the beginning so I can fully understand. I feel like a super noob idiot, and a lot of it stems from feeling like I should know this stuff due to familiarity and it being different due to changes. Another problem I am having is I can't seem to get the ddo planner to work for me properly, so it makes it harder to plan toons out for me. and lastly, having a plethora of first life toons (18 playable and 1 bank stash) makes it even more difficult to plan them out, as my wife and I haven't been back but maybe 2 1/2 months. She has toon hop ADHD and we tend to pair up, so I don't spend a huge amount of time on each toon to really learn them either. Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

P.S. It doesn't have to be a R10 killer, but at least a solid and survivable build that can do well in pair with hirelings or grouping. Raids will be fun and welcome, but not top requirement.

C-Dog

Toon is a Half-Orc Barb. ... I am asking, please help me with a good build for my toon. ...
To be clear - you want to rebuild the barb? Or to TR into something else? What level is it currently?

Assuming you just want a decent modern barb build, here ya go:

o https://forums-old.ddo.com/forums/s...barian-build?p=6534044&viewfull=1#post6534044

Throw the FS in anywhere, ignore the Dragonborn, and you're good to go.

If you're going to 30/32, you might want to just go pure - this build is proly better for Leveling to 20, but you might want that FB Core 20 for Epics.

Dman1970

To be clear - you want to rebuild the barb? Or to TR into something else? What level is it currently?

Assuming you just want a decent modern barb build, here ya go:

o https://forums-old.ddo.com/forums/s...barian-build?p=6534044&viewfull=1#post6534044

Throw the FS in anywhere, ignore the Dragonborn, and you're good to go.

If you're going to 30/32, you might want to just go pure - this build is proly better for Leveling to 20, but you might want that FB Core 20

First life level 8 Half Orc. Want to stay pure barb if possible.

djaimgo68

Barbarian builds are pretty straightforward feat-wise and the main decision is which fighting style to use. I would suggest THF. It's easy, does good damage and has AoE built in. You can do either SWF or TWF though too.
Heroic: Two-Handed Fighting, Power Attack, Imp THF, Imp Crit: <weapon type of choice>, Greater THF. That gives you two choices at 15 and 18.
Epic: Overwhelming Crit, Perfect THF, Crush Weakness, Doublestrike, Scion of Arborea, Epic Fortitude (for reapers, if not going into R+, you can skip imo). That leaves choices at 24, 27, and 31.

I would stay pure Barb for a 1st life build. For trees, I would suggest FB, but there's also effective builds that use Ravager (https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/kalis-barbarian-ravager-melee-dps-build.479/). Occult slayer is a bit niche (https://forums-old.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/528488-Reaper-Endgame-Agile-Fat-Barbarian, dated but great build) but can be used.

The nice thing about Barbarian is that it has a bit more freedom for enhancement points than other classes imho. This does prevent you from getting a trance. As first lifer, I think that's prolly fine, but as you get more lives or advanced you will want to incorporate one in the future.

If you go FB, I would suggest something like FB (41 for capstone, extra crit, extra strike through, extra action boosts), HOrc or Dwarf (18), Vistani (8 for Haste Boost, need to get Barovia favor -- not hard). That leaves 13 pts which you can spend as you see fit. Falconry is good for 13 pts, but requires Free Agent favor or store. Ravagar has bonuses for Power Attack which is helpful. Occult Slayer has some defensive stuff built around Weapon Bond.

The one thing I would suggest thinking about as a duo team is how much defense you will need/want and then how to get it. Defense gets overlooked a lot, but 'dead DPS = 0 DPS'. The smaller the group and more/higher reaper you do, the more you will want to think about defense on a barb. Barb defense can be split across a few different considerations.
1) Hit Points. Barb's can have the largest HP pool of any class. That's really your first line of defense. You can see that in the Ravager build I linked above. He took Toughness, Epic Toughness and Legendary Toughness with his build w/ his extra feats.
2) DR. Barbs get damage reduction as part of the class and you can build on that with your epic feats, but taking Epic Barbarian Damage Reduction and/or Epic Damage Reduction.
3) Dodge. Barbs get uncanny dodge, so you can often build your dodge up w/ gear and some feat choices. I find in a smaller group dodge is a bit to rng for me if the group doesn't have cc. If your teammate has effective cc, dodge or ac don't matter much. Feats here would be Dodge/Mobility, maybe Elusive Target in Epic
4) AC. You can take Heavy Armor proficiency with one of your heroics feats. I spent a few early lives in Heavy Armor in a 3-man team and used the Sharn 3pc set. Worked pretty good imo and for my style.
5) Some CC. Stunning Blow can be very effective as a barb. You can compliment it with various enhancements to make it even more effective. Very fun to knock a mob out and then obliterate them as helpless.

If you do run up to Epic, Fury of the Wild is probably your best bet for 1st life for destiny. Adrenaline is awesome, you can get your extra Strike Through (240+), and there are other good benefits. You can compliment that with Dreadnought for extra haste boosts and side benefits, and Unyielding Sentinel for defense. A lot of options for 2nd and 3rd tree but think your decisions above will make them pretty obvious.

Hope that helps. If you want a specific FB build, I think you will find one in Strim's hardcore builds on the old forums. Https://forums-old.ddo.com.

Dman1970

Barbarian builds are pretty straightforward feat-wise and the main decision is which fighting style to use. I would suggest THF. It's easy, does good damage and has AoE built in. You can do either SWF or TWF though too.
Heroic: Two-Handed Fighting, Power Attack, Imp THF, Imp Crit: <weapon type of choice>, Greater THF. That gives you two choices at 15 and 18.
Epic: Overwhelming Crit, Perfect THF, Crush Weakness, Doublestrike, Scion of Arborea, Epic Fortitude (for reapers, if not going into R+, you can skip imo). That leaves choices at 24, 27, and 31.

I would stay pure Barb for a 1st life build. For trees, I would suggest FB, but there's also effective builds that use Ravager (https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/kalis-barbarian-ravager-melee-dps-build.479/). Occult slayer is a bit niche (https://forums-old.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/528488-Reaper-Endgame-Agile-Fat-Barbarian, dated but great build) but can be used.

The nice thing about Barbarian is that it has a bit more freedom for enhancement points than other classes imho. This does prevent you from getting a trance. As first lifer, I think that's prolly fine, but as you get more lives or advanced you will want to incorporate one in the future.

If you go FB, I would suggest something like FB (41 for capstone, extra crit, extra strike through, extra action boosts), HOrc or Dwarf (18), Vistani (8 for Haste Boost, need to get Barovia favor -- not hard). That leaves 13 pts which you can spend as you see fit. Falconry is good for 13 pts, but requires Free Agent favor or store. Ravagar has bonuses for Power Attack which is helpful. Occult Slayer has some defensive stuff built around Weapon Bond.

The one thing I would suggest thinking about as a duo team is how much defense you will need/want and then how to get it. Defense gets overlooked a lot, but 'dead DPS = 0 DPS'. The smaller the group and more/higher reaper you do, the more you will want to think about defense on a barb. Barb defense can be split across a few different considerations.
1) Hit Points. Barb's can have the largest HP pool of any class. That's really your first line of defense. You can see that in the Ravager build I linked above. He took Toughness, Epic Toughness and Legendary Toughness with his build w/ his extra feats.
2) DR. Barbs get damage reduction as part of the class and you can build on that with your epic feats, but taking Epic Barbarian Damage Reduction and/or Epic Damage Reduction.
3) Dodge. Barbs get uncanny dodge, so you can often build your dodge up w/ gear and some feat choices. I find in a smaller group dodge is a bit to rng for me if the group doesn't have cc. If your teammate has effective cc, dodge or ac don't matter much. Feats here would be Dodge/Mobility, maybe Elusive Target in Epic
4) AC. You can take Heavy Armor proficiency with one of your heroics feats. I spent a few early lives in Heavy Armor in a 3-man team and used the Sharn 3pc set. Worked pretty good imo and for my style.
5) Some CC. Stunning Blow can be very effective as a barb. You can compliment it with various enhancements to make it even more effective. Very fun to knock a mob out and then obliterate them as helpless.

If you do run up to Epic, Fury of the Wild is probably your best bet for 1st life for destiny. Adrenaline is awesome, you can get your extra Strike Through (240+), and there are other good benefits. You can compliment that with Dreadnought for extra haste boosts and side benefits, and Unyielding Sentinel for defense. A lot of options for 2nd and 3rd tree but think your decisions above will make them pretty obvious.

Hope that helps. If you want a specific FB build, I think you will find one in Strim's hardcore builds on the old forums. Https://forums-old.ddo.com.
Much appreciated! Thanks much! This will help a lot.

Lacci

Here is what I play as a first life half-orc barbarian:

Barb.jpg

Works pretty good for me, the self healing from the fury destiny mantle and primal scream are mostly enough to survive without a hireling, and I love the lock bash :)