DDO Character Planner - DDOBuilder Version 2

Maetrim of Cannith

DDOBuilder Creator
Hello Everyone,

An early version of DDOBuilder version 2 is now available for use/evaluation.

This is an early version (see what V1 was like in it's early versions). I expect there to many many many errors in the data and other bugs present. There are exactly 2.1k known errors in the items at the time I am posting this.

I am interested in feedback and also in people who may want to contribute to updating the data in the files to get everything working. There is far too much data for one person to handle, especially as I am trying to keep V1 running at the same time.

For those interested in giving a test run it can be found at: https://github.com/Maetrim/DDOBuilderV2/releases

Latest Release is: Build 2.0.0.18, Released on 15th April 2024

New Features in V2
  • Plan your character at any level
  • Multiple lives / builds in the same file
  • Most game data is now in external files to support easier updating
  • More breakdowns available
  • Better skill entry setup
  • Favor Tracking (currently being developed)
  • Better Cannith Crafting support
  • Automatic and Granted feats moved to their own areas
  • Context sensitive help (Not yet implemented)
  • Spell tooltips will report approximate average damage
  • Import build files from V1 of the Builder
Features from V1 that are still present
  • Ability spend
  • Skill points
  • Tomes (skill and ability)
  • Feat selection (and a custom ignore list)
  • Past lives (heroic, racial, iconic and epic)
  • Enhancement trees
  • Spells
  • Caster Levels
  • SLAs
  • Immunities
  • Epic destinies
  • Reaper trees
  • DCs
  • Set stacks and set suppression by special augments
  • Sentient weapon Filigrees supported for main hand weapons and Minor Artifacts
  • Gear import from the DDO Named Gear Planner application

Comments welcome...

Last edited:

Stoner66

It's good to be the King!
Hello Everyone,

I have just dropped a super early alpha version of my DDOBuilder version 2 to source control on github.
This is a very early version (see what V1 was like in it's early versions). I expect there to many many many errors in the data and other bugs present. There are over 7.5k errors in the items at the time I am posting this.

I am interested in feedback and also in people who may want to contribute to updating the data in the files to get everything working. There is far too much data for one person to handle, especially as I am trying to keep V1 running at the same time.

For those interested in giving a test run it can be found at: https://github.com/Maetrim/DDOBuilderV2/releases

Comments welcome...
Hello, I just downloaded your latest v2 beta of the DDO Builder. After unzipping, I clicked the .exe and the program started up. But sat for about 2 minutes showing "not responding" then the builder finally responded and I got a bunch of errors in the log window. Not sure how to cut/paste a line but they are saying that the .png files in the Classimages directory are the wrong size.looks like ALL the files in that directory are erroring. The program stops responding when it gets to "loading Enhancement trees...99. Then it loads the rest and then errors with the images in classimages directory.

I am running DDO on a Windows 10 v21h2 with an AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor @4.00 GHz with 16gigs ram and a ATI Rx500x video card. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Maetrim of Cannith

DDOBuilder Creator
Hello, I just downloaded your latest v2 beta of the DDO Builder. After unzipping, I clicked the .exe and the program started up. But sat for about 2 minutes showing "not responding" then the builder finally responded and I got a bunch of errors in the log window. Not sure how to cut/paste a line but they are saying that the .png files in the Classimages directory are the wrong size.looks like ALL the files in that directory are erroring. The program stops responding when it gets to "loading Enhancement trees...99. Then it loads the rest and then errors with the images in classimages directory.

I am running DDO on a Windows 10 v21h2 with an AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor @4.00 GHz with 16gigs ram and a ATI Rx500x video card. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.
This early version of the planner, its important to unzip it to its own directory different to the one from V1. A lot of the file names are the same, but the data structures are very different.

You probably saw the "hang at start" as the builder loads all the game data. If you have the log window showing during this procedure you can see what its up to.

The long list of errors after on my PC are for some bad/missing images and a few bad enhancements in some trees.

The list of errors can be copied to the clipboard via a command in the Edit menu. A selection of some of them may be helpful in tracking down some issues.

At this point in the development phase I am most interested in steps that can cause the builder to crash out entirely, and which are easily reproducible

Stoner81

Can you switch the plus and minus signs for adding/subtracting stat points. Having them the current way round just doesn't make sense to me since the way the numbers scroll up. Clicking add on the right and subtract on the left makes way more sense.

Probably not the feedback you wanted right now but it's bed time and that's the best I can come up with right now xD

Stoner81.

Maetrim of Cannith

DDOBuilder Creator
Build 2.0.0.1 Early Alpha Now Available

This release sees many more items fixed. The outstanding item error counts is now around 6.2k from around 7.5k previously.
Tooltips should no longer be sticky
Weapon breakdowns have been updated
And many other non-tracked issues should also have been fixed.
+/- buttons swapped as per Stoner81's request.
Link available in the 1st post to the latest release.

Spook

A few observations so far:

Doublestrike Destiny Feat missing
Festive strength & Constitution augments missing
Rage/shift incorrectly labelled as combat stance
Weapon breakdown for handwraps not working correctly (base damage 240! 48*5=240)
Legendary gem of many facets hard locked at level 30 (can craft at level 32)
Cant take pale master: Pale shroud - requires unknown enhancement

Not going to mention the item issues yet as they are likely in the 6.2K errors

Last edited:

Maetrim of Cannith

DDOBuilder Creator
Build 2.0.0.2 Super Early Alpha Now Available.

A new drop of the V2 builder is now available. I am not currently tracking what I am fixing, but from the top of my head....

Machrotechnic tree is available
I reduced the number of item errors from ~7.5k to around 5k
Many screens should now work better and interact more easily
A large number of crashes were fixed
Favor feats were decoupled from the Life to the build as they may not apply for low level characters
Its easier to change the build level and rename the life fields
New breakdowns for Rune Arm Recharge and stable charge level added
Hitpoints should now track better at low levels with past life feats
Weapon threat ranges should be better than they were
Weapon DR bypass should now list correctly
True seeing and Ghost touch should now track correctly
Duplicate Stance headers should no longer appear.
Stances should now be correctly restored on file load

Maetrim of Cannith

DDOBuilder Creator
What are your goals with V2? Just curious what spawned the effort with it.
There are a lot of reasons why I am moving to V2:

• Make the program data more maintainable by others (should I get hit by a bus - they drive fast around where I live)
  • Fix a lot of the underlying code issues that make things hard or impossible to model correctly.
    • Effects can now have conditions beyond just "This stance must be active"
    • Much more complicated requirements can be set for anything that uses them
    • Make things faster and easier to use
  • Support planning a character at any level (not just max level)
  • Track additional parameters
  • Auto crawl the DDO Wiki for item fixes and updates (V1 everything is manual in regards to items)
  • Make as much of the data external to the program
    • Races are now defined in external files
    • Classes are now define din external files
    • Special stances can now be define din external files
  • Remove duplicated images (Each item image is now re-used for however many items that need it)
  • It's an interesting project to work on in my spare time.

TavernTails

Tuesday Trivia Host on DDOstream
All joking aside, the new version is coming along great. I really appreicate the dedication that you put into this - it's remarkable.

Maetrim of Cannith

DDOBuilder Creator
A few observations so far:

Doublestrike Destiny Feat missing
Festive strength & Constitution augments missing
Rage/shift incorrectly labelled as combat stance
Weapon breakdown for handwraps not working correctly (base damage 240! 48*5=240)
Legendary gem of many facets hard locked at level 30 (can craft at level 32)
Cant take pale master: Pale shroud - requires unknown enhancement

Not going to mention the item issues yet as they are likely in the 6.2K errors
Doublestrike feat added
Missing Festive augments added
Pale Master tree core requirements fixed

Rage/Shift
The wiki has this to say: Defensive Fighting: Entering this stance will cause you to end any other stances you may have active, and also dispel any rage or recklessness effects currently present on your character. To make this work in the builder and be mutually exclusive with things like Rage I made rage a member of the combat group so only one of them can be enabled at a time.

The weapon breakdowns and the Legendary Gem issue is something I will eventually get round to.

Spook

Problem with that is it prevents you using power attack at the same time as rage

Maetrim of Cannith

DDOBuilder Creator
Build 2.0.0.3 Now Available

This release brings us much more regular development. Item errors are down to around 4.8k, but item changes are not specifically tracked at the moment. I am working through item errors alphabetically and am approaching the letter D!

---Its now much easier to rename a life and to set a build level via the popup menu
---The Build pane now shows the Builds level break down
---Tier 5 Epic destiny items will now correctly lock out other Destiny Tier 5s and also re-enable on item revoke (Reported by JelloDDO)
---Set bonus images from augments should now display correctly in the inventory view
---Automatic stances should now correctly update breakdowns on a change of state
---Centered stance will now be activated with no weapon equipped and in cloth or no armor
---The UI is now more responsive/visible during the data load phase
---UI elements are now correctly disabled during the data load phase
---Feats can now show additional sub items with icons
---Fixed 2 icons which were the incorrect size (Heal/AugmentedArmor)
---"Add Build" now copies the selected build and inserts it immediately after the currently selected build
---Reaper's Arcana III is now correctly min level 17
---"Delete Build" will no longer crash the software
---New Race flag "StartingWorld" added so that cleric Follower Of feats can be easily updated
---Races updated to include starting world info
---New requirement type "StartingWorld" added
---"Follower Of" feats requirements updated to match wiki
---Reaper tree selector options now have their min level requirements, so they show up after selection
--- bad '’' characters in various text fields fixed
---Extra level "30" in menu level select removed
---Enhancement selector tooltips which do not have hard coded requirements will now show the requirements of their parent enhancement item
---Character life/build names should now save/restore and change correctly
---Quests.xml file created, only contains level 1 Qs atm
---Floating windows will now show their associated icon in most cases
---Toolbar items re-ordered and new options added
---New dock window Quests and Favor added (no functionality yet)
---Barbarian DR effects will no longer crash the software (Reported by JelloDDO)

Link to latest release available in signature as always.