DDO players age

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
My first graphical online game was Neverwinter Nights, but that was in 1996
For me it was Kingdom of Drakkar via MPG-Net using a dial-up connection in the VERY early 90s... perhaps '91 or '92. Played on my Mac IIci using a Hayes 9600 or 14.4K MODEM. Good times!

For those of you who have any interest, the game is still up and running:
The old 8 bit graphics are also a selectable option, if you want to play old-school.

Tremes

Old enought to know better than to give data to this forum :p .... Yeah
A bit paranoid of telling your age? Exactly how is that enough data to harm anyone if RL names are never given, along with any other data?

Kathwynn

A bit paranoid of telling your age? Exactly how is that enough data to harm anyone if RL names are never given, along with any other data?
Actually, if a scammer wants to data mine someone. They scour social media for anything that one might have posted any where for any reason.

Yes, being hacked an/or having someone steal your identity is real. It does happen and there is literally an entire industry that has grown up around the idea of scrubbing every thing you might have posted on the internet. Either because you have been hacked, think you might have been hacked, or had your identity stolen. Those services are not cheap by the way.

The actual chances of having your identity stolen is not really all that high. For most oif us. We might have a FB account hacked or some other social media account. An annoyance, but damage can be done. The accepted idea of reducing your chances is to not post anything about yourself any where. Even though we all do. Ever gave a review on a product at Amazon or similar site? Yeah, that can tell scammer a lot about you.
SHRUGS

My take on it, is that any one stealing my Identity is going to have to drastically improve my credit rating before getting so much as a credit card in my name. That is going to be a lot of time and effort that I am sure an identity thief is going to start looking for easier pickings.

Tremes

Actually, if a scammer wants to data mine someone. They scour social media for anything that one might have posted any where for any reason.

Yes, being hacked an/or having someone steal your identity is real. It does happen and there is literally an entire industry that has grown up around the idea of scrubbing every thing you might have posted on the internet. Either because you have been hacked, think you might have been hacked, or had your identity stolen. Those services are not cheap by the way.

The actual chances of having your identity stolen is not really all that high. For most oif us. We might have a FB account hacked or some other social media account. An annoyance, but damage can be done. The accepted idea of reducing your chances is to not post anything about yourself any where. Even though we all do. Ever gave a review on a product at Amazon or similar site? Yeah, that can tell scammer a lot about you.
SHRUGS

My take on it, is that any one stealing my Identity is going to have to drastically improve my credit rating before getting so much as a credit card in my name. That is going to be a lot of time and effort that I am sure an identity thief is going to start looking for easier pickings.
I do understand what you're saying, but, at 70 I am considered a prime target for scammers. I have never used social media, and I use a flip phone, still, just posting an age is not enough information to know if I am male, female, or much of anything else about me. So, tho I am wanting to be cautious, I still cannot shut out everything because of some fear I will be hacked.

Kathwynn

I do understand what you're saying, but, at 70 I am considered a prime target for scammers. I have never used social media, and I use a flip phone, still, just posting an age is not enough information to know if I am male, female, or much of anything else about me. So, tho I am wanting to be cautious, I still cannot shut out everything because of some fear I will be hacked.
True enough.

At 61 I have had phishing phone calls, sketchy emails, and very young women wanting to be "friends" on FB. If it were not so serious, that people fall for those scammers on FB. It would be laughable. And yeah, I am on FB mainly to keep up with family and old friends.

Still, I recognize that even the moist innocuous post a lot of information can be gleaned. At the same time I refuse to live in paranoia. Had enough of that from an exwife. I have no problem in posting my age or what state I happen to be living in at the time. As i once explained to my brother. Who has no desire to be online at all. Or even deal realistically with his smart phone. All of our information is out here on the 'Net.

That idea that some how that information is not assessable died back in the late nineties. The most any of us can hope for is that what ever database that some of our information is on. That it might be a little harder for criminals to access easily. If anyone thinks that a government database is the best protected HD in the country.. No, in fact Amazons database is probably better protected.

Having worked with many people (both hackers and cybersecurity) all had virtually said the same thing. All information and data can be hacked given time and effort. And on the darkweb. People Identities are auctioned off on a daily basis. Forget what a website is selling to third party vendors. That is really small potatoes.

Again I refuse to live in paranoia about every post that I make any where. Reality is that there is jack all I can really do except have a good antivirus and watch my bank account for any unauthorized payments or sudden withdrawals.

The 21rst century sure is not what I hoped it might be. When I was a much younger man.

Sylvado

overkill, and it gives the rest of us seniors the luddite reputation.