DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

Dementedleo1974

It's really funny though since DL patch has come out we have had 2 massive issues, 1 didnt get resolved for over a week. now we are down 2 days so far.. do we even have a clue on when or if we are going live this weekend? If you can't fix it , just be open and tell us that we down for a timeframe. Last time the FPS issue happened during weekend and couldn't play really until the next server reset... I just would like an ETA or so, I know not to keep trying to login and get dissapointed even more so. I have better things to waste my time on if I can't play the game I want to.

Reactions: DBZ

Eme

giphy.gif

SilverScreen

Anyone complaining about this outage is silly to me. Things happen and they are actively working on the issue. Instead of spending time with family or just enjoying any time off otherwise. I'm sure whenever the issue is resolved they will provide more information to us. I don't see why people are playing guessing games about what happened or how they should handle their business when you don't know any of the details at all. I appreciate all the people working to get this fixed and I hope they all have a great day otherwise.

Dementedleo1974

I do hope you all are going to at least comp out VIP time for those that have it and probably should give something a little extra, due to it also being multiple days.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

darrett71

ooo Folks are flaming DDO Twitter and Facebook because a pre-programmed social media add just got posted to each channel about dragon lord being free to VIP and this week's bonus weekend but the game has been down for almost two days.
Wasnt Dragonlord free to VIP anyways? When I came back the first character I made was a Dragonlord and I only had VIP at the time.

Frantik

Oh don't get me started... I automatically think of Dylans' The Man in Me, and ashes in the wind :)
EDIT and White Russians of course... mmmm! Though I prefer a White Jamaican every day of the week (swap the vodka with a decent amber rum)
For those kids out there, just pretend you see the word "brocolli" instead of those adult drinks, and we all love our brocolli now don't we!?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Eme

Dementedleo1974

Anyone complaining about this outage is silly to me. Things happen and they are actively working on the issue. Instead of spending time with family or just enjoying any time off otherwise. I'm sure whenever the issue is resolved they will provide more information to us. I don't see why people are playing guessing games about what happened or how they should handle their business when you don't know any of the details at all. I appreciate all the people working to get this fixed and I hope they all have a great day otherwise.
Not complaining really just stating a fact. It's happening to often. If I pay for a service, I expect to be informed of the issues , and if the said service is going to be available during a timeframe. I was also stating it is happening a lot more frequently.
Also some people don't have families and are limited on time they get to enjoy the things they like to do.

Last edited:

Ryofu Housen

NGITSUM
I think the funniest thing that has happened with this whole outage is their marketing team posting this ad on their Xitter account. Given the timestamp (I'm in Japan, and it's April 1st), I find it delightfully apropos.
ooo Folks are flaming DDO Twitter and Facebook because a pre-programmed social media add just got posted to each channel about dragon lord being free to VIP and this week's bonus weekend but the game has been down for almost two days.

Frantik

I think the funniest thing that has happened with this whole outage is their marketing team posting this ad on their Xitter account. Given the timestamp (I'm in Japan, and it's April 1st), I find it delightfully apropos.
Please don't use words like apropos, you'll only confuse most of us... it hits the nail on the head :)

Dementedleo1974

I still love the game and all, just concerned baout how frequently we keep having these issues. I can understand the bug from the coding on patch day, but then hotfix which made it worse, now full system crash....

Kimbere

What's interesting is in this cross-post, Cordo mentions despite their redundancies they were able to get it working. That suggests they did indeed have a DR plan but perhaps it hadn't been gameday'd any time recently and ended up not working out.
Yes. My comment wasn't about anything specific to SSG. It was just a comment on finances vs DR costs.

We know SSG has backups in some form, since they've restored from them in the past with varying degrees of success. Do they have an actual DR plan? To my knowledge, SSG's never said anything about a real DR plan one way or the other, so I have no idea.

Regarding DR and backups in general though, backups are NOT a DR plan. Thinking that if you have backups, you have a DR plan is mistake many companies make.

Backups are a crucial part of any good DR to be sure, but they are not a DR plan. There's a massive amount of non-IT work to be done by all levels of a company in any real DR scenario. A DR plan starts at the top (the executives) and flows downward.

Also, there's a saying in the backup world that goes, "If you don't do regular restore testing on your backups, you don't have backups."

The same logic applies to a DR/business continuity plan. As you mentioned, if you have a DR plan but don't update it, don't run tabletop scenarios against it, and don't do recovery tests a few times per year, you don't have a DR plan.

Justfungus

From massively “Morning! We are continuing to work on network connection issues at the data center. Once we know more we will update you. As to the cause, there was some kind of power related event at the data center that has caused critical hardware issues and despite our redundancies there are issues getting things to communicate.” .... in other words BOOM! .... ***? scuffle scuffle open door ... oh ****, kind of thing.

Yes. My comment wasn't about anything specific to SSG. It was just a comment on finances vs DR costs.
Aye. I should add that I quoted you as a way to comment on DR plans in general and speculate that it seemed SSG had some sense of one with redundancy plans in this case of hardware failure.

The same logic applies to a DR/business continuity plan. As you mentioned, if you have a DR plan but don't update it, don't run tabletop scenarios against it, and don't do recovery tests a few times per year, you don't have a DR plan.
Yeah, one of my teams just went through this exercise earlier in the year and discovered gaps and required changes to meet our BCP.