Death by falling damage. At level 23. Underwater.

Ying

5000+ hours played
What on earth did you spend $500 on? Genuinely curious
Time is our most precious commodity. We have a static group of friends spanning 9 hours of timezones (EU to West Coast NA). Finding a time all of us can play together is near impossible, so we make the most of it.

The Narc

Whether or not Feather Fall was equipped doesn't seem to be relevant. Two toons died:

Bard 20 / Epic 3 with approx 780 HP. Did not have Feather Fall.
Barbarian 20 / Epic 3 with approx 1500 HP. Had both Epic Cape of the Roc and the GMOF mantle active.

There was a third character who decended at the same time but did not die, a Druid 20 / Epic 3.

From what we can tell, it's just bad physics engine logic.
That is scary news indeed, i have yet to have a falling damage death both on hardcore and outside of hardcore while wearing a permanent feather fall item. Indeed this is a new developments, would love the person wearing the cloak could confirm that they had it on at the time of death and didnt try to speed up their fall using the block implementation added by the devs recently?

Last edited:

saekee

long live ROGUE
sorry to learn of this, especially since your toon probably carried mine through a few quests

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I think I've seen posts about death by falling under conditions it shouldn't occur every season of HC (on the forums and/or discord). People dying while running down the steps in the harbor, lag hits, and the game decides that 1 step's distance is now the size of mountain. People jumping in a quest, lag hits, and the game decides that jump's distance is now the size of mountain. The game pretend FF doesn't exist. The game pretending Monk's no damage from falling doesn't exist.

While death by falling is funny to watch the first few days on HC in announcements, that it can occur despite players having taken proper countermeasures to prevent is a bad design. Falling damage should be reworked to never reduce a player below 1 HP. Remove the kill component entirely. Need to keep a punishment beyond lowering the HP? Add a cripple that slows a person if they crunch down too hard. But remove the ability for it to kill, obviously the system isn't designed to handle falling + the levels of lag we see at time in the game.

adamkatt

Been there, in season two lost 4 members in a 6 man group running reaper 4, one second the mobs were across the room, the next they were all over the party and 4 of us had taken over 750 points of damage on our level 11’s, only a pure paladin and a pure barbarian survived.
running r4s on heroic is like running out into the freeway for pennies.. wait for legendary for rxp on hc...

The Narc

running r4s on heroic is like running out into the freeway for pennies.. wait for legendary for rxp on hc...
On a + 4 level cap season i don't mind running most of the content on reaper 3 and 4, level cap +2 season i dont mind running reaper 2 and 3, but this season with the low bars set i am content to just zerg reaper 2 quests.

I dont buy any xp pots like most of the whales, i just go about business, i guess i am okay with pennies because i dont require the i stant gratification of big easy loonies.

An interesting twist in a hardcore would be to turn off all legendary reaper xp.

Balvix

Wow! Feels bad... I've seen that drop do some crazy stuff so I'm always keen to get through it as quick as possible. Try to minimize the opportunity for something untoward to happen during that crazy long fall time.

One thing I learned was that you can fast fall through that area without taking damage on the landing so long as it doesn't lag. So cutting down on the time your slow falling can help.

What I mean is - if you push into the wall of the tunnel as you fall after you cross the mouth at the top, eventually you will get to the part where the tunnel widens (maybe 15' down, 8-10 seconds into the drop). Push into the wall in that widened area and you will get a fast fall similar to hitting steep terrain during a feather fall. It will jettison you down to the bottom but you won't take falling damage in that next chamber.

Getting down there faster will minimize the amount of time you are in that precarious position. It won't save you from immediate lag/choppiness, but every little bit makes a difference.

Good luck!
I think they changed fast fall for this quest, my group completed it a few days ago and fast fall wasnt working.

Ying

5000+ hours played
I think they changed fast fall for this quest, my group completed it a few days ago and fast fall wasnt working.
Fast falling, where you decend quicker by running against the wall once you drop past the lip, still works in Into the Deep.

The Narc

Were you doing this when you died from the falling damage maybe this combined with the lag spikes is what caused the circumstance??

Rathy

My non-HC permadeath party (no hires, no AH, no ship buffs, no store, etc. etc. but we just play elite) sometimes gets these. Once (not in HC) it happened in Butcher's path jumping off a barrel to floor and bang! Dead! Had FF on, it was not a laggy day, so not sure what happens. There does not seem to be any pattern to it and it is very rare.

But sudden death due to massive falling damage from a short fall has been around for many years. I dunno about the teleport death though, that sounds like sort of a different version of the bug.