Devs, you fixing the frame rate issue?

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
Haven't read the whole thread, but thought I would add my experience here.

Yesterday my wife and I tried duoing Twilight Forge for the first time. It took us a LONG time.
At the start, my framerate (I knew about the issue, so I pulled up the meter) was very high, roughly 300. (Yeah, I know, I wasn't actually getting 300 due to monitor refresh). By the end it was down to roughly 90. Still high enough to not get any issues, but that's quite the drop.

There are no zone transitions, so loading screens wasn't the issue, there is something else going on as well.

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
I also very much doubt that it's a "memory leak".

One thing I have noticed -- if I log in to only one toon and then solo (with hires), I don't seem to get the problem. Loading several characters in the same session, or playing in a group does cause it though.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I also very much doubt that it's a "memory leak".

One thing I have noticed -- if I log in to only one toon and then solo (with hires), I don't seem to get the problem. Loading several characters in the same session, or playing in a group does cause it though.
I get it soloing with zero hires. I get it with hires. I get it with others. I get across multiple characters of different classes. The only commonality is the game degrades worse and worse each time I zone.

Elves United

Ah good the DDO launcher now has a message acknowledging the issue, stating the workaround, and saying they are working on a fix. That's what was needed.

pame12

For me it's each time after I zone into something. So far I can handle about 10 transitions before it becomes too hard to play.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
About time.
ymrO27T.png

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
I get it soloing with zero hires. I get it with hires. I get it with others. I get across multiple characters of different classes. The only commonality is the game degrades worse and worse each time I zone.
Interesting. Don't get it just from zoning when I've been soloing, though I do get it from zoning if I've loaded several toons or I've been grouping. Could be that different graphics cards provide somewhat different outcomes ?

Ostwind-Cannith

can't they roll the virtual machine back to the saved state prior to the update? would solve a whole lot of issues in my opinion.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: nix

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
They could, but it is very unlikely and would affect the player base even more....
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain..."

Myosin

I'm so depressed. I've felt too sick to even sit up to play video games for a year and this month I've been feeling better so I thought I'd give DDO a shot which I've been yearning to do. But, unfortunately the frame rate is miserable. My DDO client is running at 1.7 GB ram, 17% CPU, 30% GPU (on ultra high settings)...

I don't think I remember it ever being this bad on this machine.

Probably doesn't help that Phiarlan Chapterhouse for some reason has always lagged my machine when looking at the fountain. But there's no reason other than a bug that ever should have been happening in the first place. But the fps problem seems to be everywhere. I switched to ultra low graphics just to see, made no difference. I went through and toggled all the graphics settings while looking at the fountain in the chapterhouse, no difference.

Maybe it is related to the aforementioned bug with the fountain? In previous years the only place DDO has had major graphical lag for me has been in the Phiarlan Chapterhouse when looking towards the center of the ballroom during the quest Partycrashers. I never had a reason to run Partycrashers repeatedly and this is my first time doing the Anniversary event in the chapterhouse so maybe the problem has always been there and I never noticed it? But it seems it would've affected everyone else in years past with the anniversary event.

Last edited:

nix

Is it just me, but I cannot get the end of Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark out of my head ... TOP people ...

Jummby

I'm so depressed. I've felt too sick to even sit up to play video games for a year and this month I've been feeling better so I thought I'd give DDO a shot which I've been yearning to do. But, unfortunately the frame rate is miserable. My DDO client is running at 1.7 GB ram, 17% CPU, 30% GPU (on ultra high settings)...

I don't think I remember it ever being this bad on this machine.

Probably doesn't help that Phiarlan Chapterhouse for some reason has always lagged my machine when looking at the fountain. But there's no reason other than a bug that ever should have been happening in the first place. But the fps problem seems to be everywhere. I switched to ultra low graphics just to see, made no difference. I went through and toggled all the graphics settings while looking at the fountain in the chapterhouse, no difference.

Maybe it is related to the aforementioned bug with the fountain? In previous years the only place DDO has had major graphical lag for me has been in the Phiarlan Chapterhouse when looking towards the center of the ballroom during the quest Partycrashers. I never had a reason to run Partycrashers repeatedly and this is my first time doing the Anniversary event in the chapterhouse so maybe the problem has always been there and I never noticed it? But it seems it would've affected everyone else in years past with the anniversary event.
If you have been sick with depression for a year, I hope you have been seeing someone regarding your issue.

If you were looking to play ddo to alleviate your depression, in its current state it will do the opposite.

Elves United

Interesting observation as I play with my warlock tank.
( my go to character during times of lag or server issues )
I finish a quest and I'm in bad shape.
Takes multiple mouse swipes to turn and I'm started to stutter when I move.
Time to quit and relaunch!
But out of habit once I leave the dungeon I mount my horse and ...
I can move again! Mouse regains full responsiveness! Smooth!
I dismount and I'm back to sluggish but not quite as bad as when I left the quest.
And then when I enter another quest I quickly start degrading again.

Weird.

Jummby

Interesting observation as I play with my warlock tank.
( my go to character during times of lag or server issues )
I finish a quest and I'm in bad shape.
Takes multiple mouse swipes to turn and I'm started to stutter when I move.
Time to quit and relaunch!
But out of habit once I leave the dungeon I mount my horse and ...
I can move again! Mouse regains full responsiveness! Smooth!
I dismount and I'm back to sluggish but not quite as bad as when I left the quest.
And then when I enter another quest I quickly start degrading again.

Weird.
Control +F. Brings up your fps its on the right side of your screen. If you don't see it, it can be covered by any window or action bar. Can move stuff to find it and pull it to a better location.

From when you log in and as you play you will see your fps drop from instance to instance. Also, if you pull up your task manager you can see your ram usage increase as you play. Once it gets really bad , you have to re log to correct it.

Figure every 3 to 5 quests you need to shut the game down to try to correct it.

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
Control +F. Brings up your fps its on the right side of your screen. If you don't see it, it can be covered by any window or action bar. Can move stuff to find it and pull it to a better location.
Gah! It will not stay. let me use /ui layout save and lock it into a spot.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Dude, the fact that Cord just locked your other thread at 10:30 PM at night on a Saturday says a crap-ton about the FPS issue.

They are probably working on it through the weekend.

Jummby

Dude, the fact that Cord just locked your other thread at 10:30 PM at night on a Saturday says a crap-ton about the FPS issue.

They are probably working on it through the weekend.
My thread "dude" wasn't locked over the fps issue. Go make another poll with silly choices only you want to hear.

Myosin

If you have been sick with depression for a year, I hope you have been seeing someone regarding your issue.

If you were looking to play ddo to alleviate your depression, in its current state it will do the opposite.

Nah, I mean I have physical malady that prevents me from sitting upright for an extended period of time as I generally need to play a game as keyboard intensive as DDO comfortably. It is just apparently a bad time for me to try to play again but I don't have that d12 teleporter (or any other anniversary rewards) on my main toons.

Which sucks cause otherwise DDO is my favorite game of all time.

Last edited: