Does Hireling Active Bar actually work? If so, how?

Toede

I can't seem to figure out how this particular feature works and I don't know if it is just broken or if I don't understand how to use it properly.

I assumed this meant when you have multiple hirelings with the option to have hirelings create their own bar when summoned turned off. This puts them all on a single bar with arrows on the right to cycle them and, like your normal hotbar, whichever one you have selected is the one that the shortcut bound for hireling active bar would work for. At least this is how I think this is supposed to work, but it doesn't. Nor can I find any way to get it to work.

Am I misunderstanding? Doing it wrong? Is it broken and unacknowledged by the development team? Everyone I have talked to in the game seems to not know the answer either.

Can anyone help shed some light on this for me? An official dev response would be amazing as well.

Thanks!

The Narc

Hireling bars will all spawn in the same location unless you move them, so they will be stacked on top of each other and only the top one will be visible. If you have multiple hires move the too bar to see the other hires bar.

Toede

I appreciate your response but that isn't what I'm asking about. If you turn off the option to spawn individual hireling bars, they all go on a single bar much like your regular hotbar with arrows on the right side to scroll them.

What I'm asking about, specifically, are the key bindings for Hireling active bar and how to use them since they don't seem to work at all.

The Narc

I appreciate your response but that isn't what I'm asking about. If you turn off the option to spawn individual hireling bars, they all go on a single bar much like your regular hotbar with arrows on the right side to scroll them.

What I'm asking about, specifically, are the key bindings for Hireling active bar and how to use them since they don't seem to work at all.
Did you look in the keymapping options?

I honestly dont know as inhave never used that option.

Toede

Yes, that's why I'm asking because the keymapping doesn't seem to do anything at all. The individual key mappings for the hireling bars 1 through 5 will work but the "Hireling Active Bar" mappings for slots 1 - 10 do nothing as far as I can determine. I'm assuming and expecting them to control the master hireling bar when you have them all on a single bar but that doesn't seem to be the case, or that's correct but it is broken.

Archest

I think there's a way to select all your hires for a command by pressing ctrl and then hitting the hot bar command.
  • Hold Control and click the Attack/Use button to make all hirelings attack/use/defend the target.

Toede

Hello, Archest. Thanks for your response as well but that is also not what I'm inquiring about. I want to know specifically how to use the "Hireling Active Bar" bindings. It seems like they do not work, as far as I can tell.

Kasanje

YouTube Creator
@Toede I think you have misunderstood the intended usage of this feature.

When you toggle the Active Bar function, you can leave your hireling bars on top of each other in a single stack and use the hotkeys to cycle through them. This way you can save on screen space by only having a single bar shown on the screen.

It works similarly to how you can use the F keys to select party members without having to click on them.

Toede

Hi, Kasanje. I know how it works. The problem is the keybinds for "Hireling Active Bar" slots 1 - 10 do NOT work or I don't understand how to use those binds. Since you can't have 10 hirelings, I have to assume those are referring to the actual hotbar slots, not individual hireling hotbars. Perhaps you could explain how those binds actually work and give me a step by step walkthrough of how to get them to activate?

Ellisaria

First, to make sure I am understanding what is being discussed, are we talking about the buttons on the hireling hotbar?
Hireling_Hotbar.png

If so, you can reassign those binds under "Main Menu" -> "Options" -> "Key Mapping".
Hireling_Hotbar_Keymapping.png

Toede

Hi Ellisara, sort of. I'm referring to the key mappings below those that say Hireling Active Bar. I'm trying to figure out what those do because they don't seem to do what I thought they did. In fact, they don't seem to do anything. I map them and press them and nothing happens.

What I thought Hireling Active Bar referred to was when you have your hirelings all on one bar with the arrows to scroll between each hireling on the right side of it, similar to the normal main hotbar for our own abilities. I thought that it would map those slots so that all you had to do was change the hireling on the master bar and the keymapping would stay the same. Rather than decoupling all the hirelings and having 10 mappings for every one of them. However, this does not seem to be the case. So now I'm just trying to figure out exactly what these mappings that say hireling active bar actually do. Nobody seems to know.

Ellisaria

Hi Ellisara, sort of. I'm referring to the key mappings below those that say Hireling Active Bar. I'm trying to figure out what those do because they don't seem to do what I thought they did. In fact, they don't seem to do anything. I map them and press them and nothing happens.

What I thought Hireling Active Bar referred to was when you have your hirelings all on one bar with the arrows to scroll between each hireling on the right side of it, similar to the normal main hotbar for our own abilities. I thought that it would map those slots so that all you had to do was change the hireling on the master bar and the keymapping would stay the same. Rather than decoupling all the hirelings and having 10 mappings for every one of them. However, this does not seem to be the case. So now I'm just trying to figure out exactly what these mappings that say hireling active bar actually do. Nobody seems to know.
I found the bindings you were talking about:
Hireling_Active_Slot.png

I replicated your setup of putting all hires on one hotbar with arrows to cycle through them (no hotkey to do so though) and I could not get the individual "Hireling Active Bar, Slot #" binds to do anything either. Completely unresponsive. I would assume they should do what you described of "When I hit the assigned hotkey, whatever hireling I have shown on my cycle-able bar activates the skill tied to that slot", but it does not seem to do anything at this time. Maybe it's a lingering remnant of abandoned tech, maybe it used to work and something in the myriad of updates broke it and no one reported it, or devs decided it wasn't worth fixing. In any case, if it's something you would like to be using and you think it isn't working, best you can do is submit a bug report, maybe post it in the "Hey Tonquin" thread, and cross your fingers. Best of luck. Sorry I didn't have anything more for you than "I don't know either!"

trashcanhands

@Toede
It's definitely a bug. I tried for probably over an hour to get it to work just the other night and nothing I did would work. I ended up just having to separate the hotbars and use different hotkeys for my hireling and pet.

Archest

you have to select the hot bar 1 to the number of hire you have 1st with ctrl then use the hot keys in your list to select the desired action.

I would think its the same as the regulars hot bars by pressing ctrl 3 you action hot bar 3 and then just 1 through 0
didn't actually find a selection short cut for selecting hire bars try mouse clicking on any of the hires bars to set focus then hit your short cut bar option to select the hire number and action

Last edited:

canicus

you have to select the hot bar 1 to the number of hire you have 1st with ctrl
I don't understand what this means. Do you mean you have to do something to make the bar that is currently displayed "active"? I don't have to do anything to "prep" the normal hotbars. is there somewhere in game or on the wiki that explains this?

Archest

in order to select the hot bar you want to use you press ctrl 1 to 10 set to give the hot bar selected focus?
than you press the action you want to perform in the hot bar currently in focus again 1 to 10.
this is for normal hot bars.

one would think you need to give the hire hot bar focus: before you can select the Hot bar action else how are you to know which hire hot bar you want to focus for your action.

it seems your selecting the hot bar #1 action with the hot bar #3 action. by pressing alt+ctrl+shift +3.
to activate the action for the hot bar #1 action #3

what is the key map for selecting hot bar #2 and hot bar #1 at the same time?

• Hold Control and alt+ctrl+shift +3? so they all acknowledge hot bar command number 1?
  • so they all do that particular command.
  • (change alt+ctrl+shift +3 to alt+[something else]+shift +3?
  • maybe the ctrl mapping for the hold control is changed since you mapped it to another cammand.

Last edited:

Toede

you have to select the hot bar 1 to the number of hire you have 1st with ctrl then use the hot keys in your list to select the desired action.

I would think its the same as the regulars hot bars by pressing ctrl 3 you action hot bar 3 and then just 1 through 0
didn't actually find a selection short cut for selecting hire bars try mouse clicking on any of the hires bars to set focus then hit your short cut bar option to select the hire number and action
Hello, Archest.

I very much appreciate your responses but I do not believe you are addressing the actual question that I have. I probably didn't explain myself correctly so I'm going to try again.

What I want to know is:

1. Are you able to get the Hireling Active Bar key mappings to work?

2. If so, can you explain step by step like I'm five so that I can duplicate on my end because I cannot seem to get these to work and I'm not even sure how they work at this point, if at all. There's been a lot of speculation on how people think they work but no factual reproducible answers as of yet from anyone I have talked to about this.

Archest

ok I used 1 hire so it was key mapped to "Hireling Active Bar 1, Slot # 8"
I entre the quest called the hire changed the key map of Hireling Active Bar 1 key press at slot #8 "/"
this was a summon monster on the hires tool bar.
I closed the mapper and options panel and pressed / and a summoned monster appeared.
I think the issue your running into is maybe the keys your trying to use to map are dedicated and cant be used.