Downtime Notice: Wednesday, October 11th 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT)

Aelonwy

Are you going to tell us why we had unexpected downtime on Sunday? Or were you guys unaware of it?

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
Are you going to tell us why we had unexpected downtime on Sunday? Or were you guys unaware of it?

mHEuI13.jpg

Terpilar

Something went down, then went up again. No big deal and ancient history by now. Also I was logged in the whole time so experienced no inconvenience at all.

Kimbere

Something went down, then went up again. No big deal and ancient history by now. Also I was logged in the whole time so experienced no inconvenience at all.
Cool. You should remember this next time someone is dismissive of your concerns simply because it didn't affect them.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue wondering why SSG is so bad at basic customer communciation when it's such an easy thing to do.

Terpilar

Cool. You should remember this next time someone is dismissive of your concerns simply because it didn't affect them.
Actually this forum here saved my gaming session of the day as I was about to log off to a different character when I saw that others were experiencing problems; of course the issue then went away as mysteriously as it had appeared.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue wondering why SSG is so bad at basic customer communciation when it's such an easy thing to do.
Communication is never easy, can be misinterpreted, and requires time (and pertinent info to communicate otherwise it's just wind). But if I"m not mistaken, as well as a warning, a fix was communicated on this forum in a matter of minutes - this forum which is an avenue of communication provided by SSG for the users of this game - so it kinda worked in a meta way.

Aaaand also, why am I not surprised that on a Sunday, gamers will react to a downtime faster than a small company?

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
Communication is never easy, can be misinterpreted, and requires time (and pertinent info to communicate otherwise it's just wind).

Communication is easy if you know how to do it well.

Aaaand also, why am I not surprised that on a Sunday, gamers will react to a downtime faster than a small company?

SSG still hasn't reacted. It's been three days.
Comments in red.

Last edited:

Terpilar

OK, how I read it is lack of reaction means it wasn't a serious issue, probably a fluke, a non-issue, with no risk of it repeating itself, call it the "No News equal Good News" theory - but then I am an optimist.

Or it could be that the somewhat ridiculous faux outrage, hostility, name-calling and even shades of paranoia currently evidenced by some here posters towards SSG is turning off engagement by said company's staff. I know it would turn me off.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
From what I can tell from the error messages people were getting during the downtime, this might not have been an SSG thing at all.

DDO's launcher, and critically its patcher, runs through a third-party cloud software provider, Akamai, which recorded a period of about three hours' downtime in some parts of North America that lines up pretty nicely with when DDO's patch server stopped connecting. This would also explain why the issue seemed to fix itself without any intervention from SSG.

Ellisaria

There was an issue with one of the authentication servers on Sunday, on-call technical operations had to be brought in, and the issue was resolved after a couple of hours of investigation then resolution.
Thank you for letting us know what happened; it is appreciated!

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
There was an issue with one of the authentication servers on Sunday, on-call technical operations had to be brought in, and the issue was resolved after a couple of hours of investigation then resolution.
Very clear response describing the issue adequately with an adequate description of the response and the solution.

Thank you.

Altra

Something rang my brain's gong about that commercial about a week ago and I was trying to remember...was it Calgon? I think it was calgon.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
From what I can tell from the error messages people were getting during the downtime, this might not have been an SSG thing at all.

DDO's launcher, and critically its patcher, runs through a third-party cloud software provider, Akamai, which recorded a period of about three hours' downtime in some parts of North America that lines up pretty nicely with when DDO's patch server stopped connecting. This would also explain why the issue seemed to fix itself without any intervention from SSG.
Looks like this was just blind coincidence, then.

(I've gone back to look at the site a couple of times since and it looks like Akamai has a localised crash somewhere in the Americas about twice a day, so the fact DDO's launcher issues synced up with one isn't actually that unlikely. Confirmation bias strikes again!)

Kimbere

Communication is never easy, can be misinterpreted, and requires time (and pertinent info to communicate otherwise it's just wind).
Outage communications are soooo easy if you just follow some basic, self-evident rules.

1) Keep it short and simple - this is the key to communicating effecitvely without needing to sink large amounts of time into the effort. Provide just enough to show you have a solid grasp of the issue and are working on it.
2) Acknowledge and take responsibility for unplanned outages ASAP. Provide brief updates every few hours during extended outages.
3) Be honest and transparent. Lack of transparency creates a vacuum that customers' imaginations will fill in with things that are usually far worse than the reality.
4) Show some empathy towards your customers problems rather than ignoring them or worse, threatening them if they continue to complain. Literally, just try to show you care, even if you have to fake it.
5) This is the most important part - you actually have to communicate rather than doing nothing and leaving your customers completely in the dark because you can't be bothered to take 5 minutes to post an acknowledgement or update.

P.S. On a related note, give advance notice of significant changes to the game, especially nerfs. Stealth nerfs are exact opposite of communication and imply that you think your customers are too stupid to notice or worse, that you simply don't care what they think.