DPS Too High: Was it my fault?

Was it all my fault?

• Yes. Get more (-)threat gen gear.

• Yes. You suck and you should feel bad !

• Yes. It's your job to adjust your DPS to the tank.

• No. THF FrenBerk DPS should never be able to pull off a proper tank.

• No. They are wrong!

• No. Pulling off the tank through shear DPS Mastery is a sign of genius and a 10 inch penor.

• Bro. It's over. Delete game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Story time. last night I was running FoM. OMG.

I was constantly pulling from the tank, like to the point it was getting half the party killed.

Sure, I don't have too much (-)threat gear but thought my DPS was under control.. was using THF, not the ideal for DPS.

But.. I kept pulling. Don't think it was the tank's fault, looked pro. They wouldn't even raise me.

8oqr0m.jpg

Fizban

Hmmm, complicated response.

I DO NOT think there is ever to much DPS from a melee, caster, or support class. The fact is that at times a high DPS character will occasionally pull aggro from the tank who is relying on intimidate and other threat aggro. Generally, they can get it back fairly quickly by spaming their threat options.

Suggestion: Incorporating as much threat reduction as you can also helps. This is a good option for melee DPS characters.

My characters (wizard, paladin, & ranger) also sometimes pull aggro off of the tank, but they get it back fairly fast. I do understand also the point of the party leader and/or others in the party as they are looking at the overall success of the quest. I think that not rezzing you was wrong but they had to deal with the tank and/or other players in the party to help ensure success.

Last edited:

Lacci

Not bothering with the poll ... but does this game actually have a real (working) aggro mechanic ?
Just asking because every hireling immediately takes away any aggro by just existing.

I always thought that the game would just internally roll a d20 to see who gets the aggro.

axel15810

Probably both of you have some blame. If your DPS is pulling aggro constantly then slow down or atleast go stand beside the tank so you don't get others killed. And yes, put -threat gear on. At the same time the tank should be mashing shield toss and intim constantly to get aggro back. But more info required here, there's a lot of factors at play.

Grunndi

This is the obvious choice. But then I have to peel off DPS to fit said threat reduction items.
How did the party DPS do when you got yourself and half of them killed?

If you were repeatedly pulling aggro and Party DPS is improved by you being dead… then yes I’d have left you dead too.

It takes 1 Treachery Filigree, 1 Augment, and some low tier ED or enhancement points to hit -100% threat

Mordenkainen

How did the party DPS do when you got yourself and half of them killed?

If you were repeatedly pulling aggro and Party DPS is improved by you being dead… then yes I’d have left you dead too.

It takes 1 Treachery Filigree, 1 Augment, and some low tier ED or enhancement points to hit -100% threat
Wait wait wait.... wait.

And wait.

Is -100% equal ZERO threat generated? Will I ever have to worry about pulling at -100% threat?

PraetorPlato

Most tank’s effective DPS for threat purposes is under 10k. If you’re a half decent DPS, you’ll be easily doubling that unless you run threat reduction.

Mordenkainen

Most tank’s effective DPS for threat purposes is under 10k. If you’re a half decent DPS, you’ll be easily doubling that unless you run threat reduction.

Wow. I didn't know.

Man, tanking must suck. Not only do you have to keep aggro away from 11 other people but you gotta keep yourself alive and watch for boss cues (move boss) and special attacks.

What a thankless job. No wonder everyone asks for a tank.

Col Kurtz

a genuine question and topic. excellent ellie / a POLL though? whiskyslaps ellie

memberberry/ FOT days, when that was top raid & players pulling Stormreaver would wipe the party:) good timez!
.....didn't realize that was you ...haha JK ;)