DPS Too High: Was it my fault?

Was it all my fault?

• Yes. Get more (-)threat gen gear.

• Yes. You suck and you should feel bad !

• Yes. It's your job to adjust your DPS to the tank.

• No. THF FrenBerk DPS should never be able to pull off a proper tank.

• No. They are wrong!

• No. Pulling off the tank through shear DPS Mastery is a sign of genius and a 10 inch penor.

• Bro. It's over. Delete game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

AMess

Perhaps if your poll could have this option:

Is it my fault:
Yes, after the first time you pulled agro you should have waited for the tank to build more agro then resume attack. And let tank build agro for each new encounter or take breaks during attack to stay behind tank's agro.

Seems like noobs want to always be on the attack, which is probably a bad habit picked up from soloing. Although, in a party where you risk dying, it's best to take a breather and give the tank time to do their thing. Although there are other ways to handle this issue (gear/character design)

Though to be fair, there is a design improvement the developers could implement to remove any added threat, a simple toggle to zero out any additives you have to melee threat generation. I think this would add to character development without costing game mechanics...sure there are ways to avoid this, but it's a rather silly implementation to think that if you've trained to be extra intimidating that you couldn't ignore that training for some fights...no, this is a product of game mechanics.

And this conversation/thread is as old as the game is.

Sarlona Raiding

Ideally you want to be at -95%, it's easy for melee

-50% treachery filigree
-30% shadowdancer
-20% Augment

If you use defense stance for soloing, turn it off for raids. I see all too often a non-tank pulling agro with defensive stance even if their dps is subpar.

Tanks have terrible dps and a big mulitplier. You need a big negative multiplier as a result.

I mean people that pull agro want to spin it like they just have high dps, but everyone knows the truth. They don't want to give up 5mp for the -50% filigree.

Last edited:

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
Do what I do: Blame Belo.

I haven't seen him since the EU servers, but it's always Belo's fault.

It has to be, I mean it can't be me, right? :p

I dont Like gimps

Ideally you want to be at -95%, it's easy for melee

-50% treachery filigree
-30% shadowdancer
-20% Augment

If you use defense stance for soloing, turn it off for raids. I see all too often a non-tank pulling agro with defensive stance even if their dps is subpar.

Tanks have terrible dps and a big mulitplier. You need a big negative multiplier as a result.

I mean people that pull agro want to spin it like they just have high dps, but everyone knows the truth. They don't want to give up 5mp for the -50% filigree.
its even funnier cuz many people run 2 rare Mp treachery for another 5 anyway the third would even give em an SA dice beside the 50%(which is such a busted filigree lol)

Svirfneblin

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Or the one.

I wish the threat generation in the Stalwart and Sacred Defender trees could be on a toggle so we can turn it off or on when we wanted to instead of building it in. I really enjoyed playing fighter and paladin but once you start doing raids I didn’t like pulling Agro from the tank. On fighter there is threat that cannot be turned off when you turn off your defensive stance and turning off your defensive stance really sucks too. I switched to monk which is more challenging to level but the negative threat at cap Makes raids so much more enjoyable.

PraetorPlato

Or the one.

I wish the threat generation in the Stalwart and Sacred Defender trees could be on a toggle so we can turn it off or on when we wanted to instead of building it in. I really enjoyed playing fighter and paladin but once you start doing raids I didn’t like pulling Agro from the tank. On fighter there is threat that cannot be turned off when you turn off your defensive stance and turning off your defensive stance really sucks too. I switched to monk which is more challenging to level but the negative threat at cap Makes raids so much more enjoyable.
Just don't run Stal/Sac as a DPS at cap, run VKF instead.

cammy

If you ain't first, you're last
If you aren’t at -100% threat from any dps role and you flip the boss, I will just let you die as the tank and then regain agro. Too many folks still run ftr/pal stance creating wayyyy too much threat.

Sarlona Raiding

Or the one.

The only thing you can't turn off that a non-tank might want is the level 18 core that gives 15% AC and 50% threat. If you are going tier 5 in the defender tree you aren't dps at that point.

If you do this, you should use threat gen -50% in your weapon and your minor artifact, taking 30% in shadowdancer and use at least a -20% augment for threat gear. This would still give you -95% threat. If you don't want to give up the melee power for soloing you can have a swap artifact and weapon for raiding with threat reduction.

Neurik

Were you perhaps using a bear druid with Maul and not paying attention to what the spell does? I have seen bear druids pull agro this way without necessarily having lots of DPS. Or as mentioned above, running in Stalwart Defensive Stance.

Last edited:

Urklore

I wish that the Stalwart Defense gave more aggro. Even with +112 intimidate and all kinds of bonus types to threat generation (almost at 255%), all the OP 100+ reaper and 75+ past lives players just peal threat off the mob anytime they hit. And then I am the one that is blamed!

rabidfox

The People's Champion
it's the tanks fault if they can't hold the boss vs my ranged build.
NiuDfYw.jpeg

Svirfneblin

The only thing you can't turn off that a non-tank might want is the level 18 core that gives 15% AC and 50% threat. If you are going tier 5 in the defender tree you aren't dps at that point.

If you do this, you should use threat gen -50% in your weapon and your minor artifact, taking 30% in shadowdancer and use at least a -20% augment for threat gear. This would still give you -95% threat. If you don't want to give up the melee power for soloing you can have a swap artifact and weapon for raiding with threat reduction.
Core 5 Sacred Defender doesn’t turn off. The AC boost is great. Don’t want or need Shadowdancer. What you pitched is an option but it is detrimental to the rest of the build. Too many trade-offs just give me a toggle to turn off the threat.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
I wish that the Stalwart Defense gave more aggro. Even with +112 intimidate and all kinds of bonus types to threat generation (almost at 255%), all the OP 100+ reaper and 75+ past lives players just peal threat off the mob anytime they hit. And then I am the one that is blamed!
EXACTAMUNDO !!!

Finally, a sympathetic ear.