DPS Too High: Was it my fault?

Was it all my fault?

• Yes. Get more (-)threat gen gear.

• Yes. You suck and you should feel bad !

• Yes. It's your job to adjust your DPS to the tank.

• No. THF FrenBerk DPS should never be able to pull off a proper tank.

• No. They are wrong!

• No. Pulling off the tank through shear DPS Mastery is a sign of genius and a 10 inch penor.

• Bro. It's over. Delete game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wagon

It is not your fault for Building a DPS with more DPS.
It is not the tank's fault for having less threat gen than you.

It is however your fault not to stop doing DPS when you noticed something is wrong. I'd just let go M1 or go fight some Dretches or Vrocks.
It is also the party's fault that you didn't/couldn't test before the gig.

Also.
Its only gaem. You don't heff to be mad!

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Sure, I don't have too much (-)threat gear but thought my DPS was under control.. was using THF, not the ideal for DPS.
Threat management is both DPSes and the tanks responsibility. If you don't slot good -threat, which is silly easy for melee to do, then leaving you a stone is a simpler solution than the boss flipping. The tank could have issues of their own, but the point of initial failure was already locked in place with your lack of threat management. As it's been said many times before threat isn't a way to judge if your DPS it good or not.

Is -100% equal ZERO threat generated? Will I ever have to worry about pulling at -100% threat?
No, it's not zero threat. And you can go below -100% threat too. See:
Pretty sure it works that 100% of threat is like having half damage or x2 damage. For example, if you have -150 threat and do 10k dps it’s the equivalent of doing 4k dps in aggro. And vice versa if you do 2k dps and have 500% hate it’s like doing 12k dps in hate.

Some stuff seems wonky for -hate and + hate such as weapon procs.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Maybe I should just tank. Get an idea what the tank is going through.

But noone will give me a solid Paladin shield and sword tank/dps/solo build.

I blame you guys. :-(

Mickeymouse

Maybe I should just tank. Get an idea what the tank is going through.

But noone will give me a solid Paladin shield and sword tank/dps/solo build.

I blame you guys. :-(
Grundi in this thread, got exactly one of those builds posted. for someone lurking the forums as much as you do, like there is Pamela Anderson from Bay Watch 90ies hiding here, you should be able to find it.

Oliphant

Just switched my DL to a twf for boss dps, got -100% from Treachery threat reduction (-50% melee threat), Shadowdancer (-30%) and Dark Diversion (-20%). There is still some threat from Imbue Dice, but should not pull from the tank.

Myranna

I've been able to pull from a tank with -130% threat. It's rare, but it can happen. I'm not sure what the formula is, but -100% doesn't bring it to 0. Then again, I may be pulling because I have a lot of imbue dice and I know that threat reduction didn't work on those or sneak attack at some point. I think they fixed sneak dice, but I believe imbue dice are still not reduced in threat no matter what.

Grunndi

Grundi in this thread, got exactly one of those builds posted. for someone lurking the forums as much as you do, like there is Pamela Anderson from Bay Watch 90ies hiding here, you should be able to find it.
To be fair it’s an Axe and Shield build, I would never run a sword and shield, yuck. Also I still have to fix all the picture links, so it’s not super useful at the moment 🙈 (what’s a good picture hosting site?)

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Oliphant

I've been able to pull from a tank with -130% threat. It's rare, but it can happen. I'm not sure what the formula is, but -100% doesn't bring it to 0. Then again, I may be pulling because I have a lot of imbue dice and I know that threat reduction didn't work on those or sneak attack at some point. I think they fixed sneak dice, but I believe imbue dice are still not reduced in threat no matter what.
Hard to really say what's going on sometimes. Some bosses will clear their aggro and switch on purpose. Having lots of imbue dice correlates with people having this issue, especially if you run Shiradi, ++especially if you use Inexorable Advance epic moment. Repeater builds seem to have outsided threat issues for some reason. At 130% I'd guess you talking melee otherwise its hard to push that far. I've heard that spell threat reduction works on Imbue Dice. I have no idea which theories are correct exactly.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
what’s a good picture hosting site?
Imgur is alright. But they eventually flush old photos that haven't been actively viewed in a while so I occasional have to fix my old posts (thankfully I save images for that).

Myranna

Hard to really say what's going on sometimes. Some bosses will clear their aggro and switch on purpose. Having lots of imbue dice correlates with people having this issue, especially if you run Shiradi, ++especially if you use Inexorable Advance epic moment. Repeater builds seem to have outsided threat issues for some reason. At 130% I'd guess you talking melee otherwise its hard to push that far. I've heard that spell threat reduction works on Imbue Dice. I have no idea which theories are correct exactly.
I'm ranged actually, it's just that I invested in threat reduction. I actually spent 8 points in Fatesinger to get to the threat reduction there, along with the bit in Shiradi and Shadow Dancer :) That's quite a bit by itself, then the Dark Diversion and the Stealth Strike from the Epic Quiver of Alacrity. The Quiver is -30% by itself.

I dont Like gimps

Its Like get more threat gen but on the other Hand its an Elminster char so cant be much dps

Thus just blame the tank or maybe Elminster just dual boxed as tank and forgot to swap b and forth to intim so essentially the verdict is : take your Pills my favorite schizo <3

Also if some tanks can handle Highlight RCs its a gid gud to other tanks

Oliphant

I'm ranged actually, it's just that I invested in threat reduction. I actually spent 8 points in Fatesinger to get to the threat reduction there, along with the bit in Shiradi and Shadow Dancer :) That's quite a bit by itself, then the Dark Diversion and the Stealth Strike from the Epic Quiver of Alacrity. The Quiver is -30% by itself.
My experience with similar setups, maybe not quite so much reduction but a bit over 100%, with high Imbue Dice you will still pull if you bust out Inexorable Advance at the wrong time, like too early or after boss does a switch.