Experiencing Difficulty Bump

DDO Gaming

I think there are very effective ways to keep optimizing players out of your LFMs—something like "Flowersniffing only, moving slowly, not looking for help" (or "only looking for directions" or "everyone welcome, just don't go beyond me") should be fairly effective for leveling.
I would argue a softcore server with reaper and reinc disabled will provide a better chance of creating balanced parties even when LFMing since powergamers will avoid this world

dur

aka Cybersquirt
I would argue a softcore server with reaper and reinc disabled will provide a better chance of creating balanced parties even when LFMing since powergamers will avoid this world
I still say "No" to excluding Reaper - Reaper is capped, atm. I'll admit y got me thinking on disabling Past Lives now that I see several, many? gulp, most here, certainly? can have 60+ past lives. IDK but that's another point: not every player comes here.

** Does this forum really represent the player base? 2/3 folks I run with don't come here.

I would argue that you're creating a problem.

Last edited:

Speed

You are right about more balanced parties due to limited power level, but I think that most veteran players do not care, because they do not need it personally.
Good thing I see for them is less new/unexperienced players on main servers that can slow down or be annoying in some way.
Reaper difficulty is fine as long as tree would not be available.
R1-3 is doable, especially with full group of players that may want more challenge on older quests that are actually f2p and easier than adventure packs and expansions.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Hey there,

So I have started playing the game actively again after previously not getting too far past Korthos. Loosely followed a few guides on what to actually build for, spells to get etc and I'm back into the game. Its been a lot of fun.

But as I have started tackling quests around my current range, (level 16 warlock) its gotten a lot more difficult. Protection from energy, stoneskin, and displacement along with staunch and that other spell that heals you that I forget the name of felt great. They used to make me feel unkillable but not nearly as much anymore. I get utterly destroyed in some of these quests and I feel like I have to be doing something wrong. Also worth noting I have been completely solo up to this point, sometimes with the odd hireling but ended up ditching those after a bit once my character felt like it was getting off the ground in power. They're also quite dumb and its annoying to manage them.

I found very quickly that in this game you win or lose by knowledge check a lot of the time, so are there any general tips anyone can give me?

Hey Zan,
the thing is that the difficulty is influenced by the time the dungeons/packs are released. A good rule of thump is: the older the content, the easier it is. Of course there are exceptions to that rule but it is something to keep in mind.

For example most of Vale of Twilight (base lvl 16 - 2008) feels trivial now vs. Sharn (base lvl 15 - 2019) to me. But Against the Slave Lords (base lvl 8 - 2016 ) is more difficult than some of the Isle of Dread (base lvl 7 - 2022) quests because of the then popular quest design of high density mobs, imo.

So be assured it is not you but the game ;)

Cheers,
Titus.
It's also an MMo"R"PG that constantly changes.

JaynChar2019

Well I'm VIP, and playing through quests around eveningstar are where I've been at. Lvl 16-17 range. I was easily knocking out hards and elites leading up to this but now even normals can feel tough. A lot of it is just the random spells and archers whacking at me. Everything just hurts a lot and my character has sustain with all the ways to get temp health as a warlock but I'm not thick enough to stand up to much at once. Its pretty brutal. If I get knocked down or otherwise stopped by something at a bad time before I can hit staunch or protection again I just die. Sometimes I'll take a hit that instantly knocks off an elemental protection. Feels pretty bad.

Also traps suck when you learn the hard way where one is. I really hate those stupid bear traps as a warlock with no strength lol
I found playing a warlock that levels between 12-24ish were more difficult then early and later levels. Same thing playing an arti. Were wizards and alchis are ultra squishy between 1-13ish then get some traction until about 24ish. I think this is on purpose to nudge peeps to join groups because dnd is about team dynamics not soloing.

DDO Gaming

R1-3 is doable, especially with full group of players that may want more challenge on older quests that are actually f2p and easier than adventure packs and expansions.
that is a valid point, a reasonably strong non-reaper powered party can still reaper. However just to increase the number of non-reaper LFMs I would still disable reaper, since the sole purpose of softcore is to encourage growth of "the next generation"

Speed

that is a valid point, a reasonably strong non-reaper powered party can still reaper. However just to increase the number of non-reaper LFMs I would still disable reaper, since the sole purpose of softcore is to encourage growth of "the next generation"

Besides new players, there are also people (I do no not know how many, but I met some and have them on my friend list) who would want challenge without power level characters (no extra passives, but knowledge and experience is still welcome) in their party and this is not possible with public lfm even with special description.
Many veterans will argue this "abomination" since they have their progression goal and may not understand how others can still have different preferences after years of playing.
Full group or even 4 players greatly decrease difficulty plus old f2p quests are already easiest.
I would play with friends on such server as long as higher difficulties are available without reaper tree.
Hardcore servers are temporary.
People asking for regular hardcore server is good example how players have different preferences and trying to soft limit yourself is not a solution when still wanting to play with others on the same rules.

Toede

Honestly, I'm still lost. The option to even play Reaper is all the way to the Right. Basic slider-bar logic: Easy > Hard > Insane.

They can run Normal > Hard > Elite, to avoid "drown"ing first. OR, as I do, Hard > Elite. Sounds more like complaining over nothing, more and more.

**And this game is not "a complete wasteland." This game is about tactics and learning and learning again when SSG changes things.
Are you sure? It can be hard to see things objectively when you are invested but I can assure you to anyone else looking at this game it is indeed a wasteland. There are bootleg operations of failed MMOs in the wild with higher populations than DDO. When everyone runs reaper by default the new player is going to be forced to go along unless they are just soloing the game, which is fine but isn't the experience most people expect when playing MMOs. I think veteran players forget what it is like to come into this game with a 28 point build character with no gear or past lives.

paddymaxson

For example most of Vale of Twilight (base lvl 16 - 2008) feels trivial now vs. Sharn (base lvl 15 - 2019) to me. But Against the Slave Lords (base lvl 8 - 2016 ) is more difficult than some of the Isle of Dread (base lvl 7 - 2022) quests because of the then popular quest design of high density mobs, imo.

Cheers,
Titus.
Apart from running with the devils and its occasionally INSANE incoming light damage that sometimes surprises me and kills me.

But yeah some packs are just harder. Until you get a very solid build sharn can feel oppressive.

KBender3

Hey there,

So I have started playing the game actively again after previously not getting too far past Korthos. Loosely followed a few guides on what to actually build for, spells to get etc and I'm back into the game. Its been a lot of fun.

But as I have started tackling quests around my current range, (level 16 warlock) its gotten a lot more difficult. Protection from energy, stoneskin, and displacement along with staunch and that other spell that heals you that I forget the name of felt great. They used to make me feel unkillable but not nearly as much anymore. I get utterly destroyed in some of these quests and I feel like I have to be doing something wrong. Also worth noting I have been completely solo up to this point, sometimes with the odd hireling but ended up ditching those after a bit once my character felt like it was getting off the ground in power. They're also quite dumb and its annoying to manage them.

I found very quickly that in this game you win or lose by knowledge check a lot of the time, so are there any general tips anyone can give me?
Playing daily is a major health issue termed recently "toxic stress" I recommend stop if you die during hardcore season. Playing for saga completion is a fun fast way to level. There are more beautiful games, but none seem to match the longevity of this game. Perhaps with an AI soundtrack based on your own modulated voice or environment of your own room speaker or even weapon sound would send this online game thru the roof.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Is there a conversation about disabling reaper on another forum somewhere? ..or is it just two dudes making a lot of noise?

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Are you sure? It can be hard to see things objectively when you are invested but I can assure you to anyone else looking at this game it is indeed a wasteland. There are bootleg operations of failed MMOs in the wild with higher populations than DDO. When everyone runs reaper by default the new player is going to be forced to go along unless they are just soloing the game, which is fine but isn't the experience most people expect when playing MMOs. I think veteran players forget what it is like to come into this game with a 28 point build character with no gear or past lives.

Am I sure about what? Don't try to speak for all players, assuring me.​

dur

aka Cybersquirt

But yeah some packs are just harder. Until you get a very solid build sharn can feel oppressive.
I agree that some packs are harder. my 1st Life Paly was cruising, until... SSG (even Turbine?) tweaks things all the time. If Sharn is "oppressive," build an Iconic! (My Paly is now taking damage like crazy @ U66 btw :/)

This is an MMO game. SSG has exponentially expanded on what toon you can build and what it will "cost." Make it fun.

**If I were new, I'd focus on Favor for One (1) toon and goto 7500 for +8 tome. At 20 cap depending on build and Heart available.

Last edited:

The Narc

Am I sure about what?
That this game is a wasteland, i think this is his reference when he posted this question. And he tried to detail it in a perspective comparing to other mmo’s. The reference must be towards the game population. Just saving him the response, he can correct me if i am wrong.

paddymaxson

It's sort of a wasteland, if you want to play in a full party for a lot of content it can be sort of a pig, Especially "abandoned" content, but tehre's still many people on argo running content of various levels and they're all usually friendly.