Experiencing Difficulty Bump

Foaly's_Pub

Rumble Creator and Wiki editor
Playing solo is much harder than playing in groups, but you can take cleric or favored soul (ones with single target cure/heal instead of much slower mass cure/heal) in guard mode (do not use active mode and command them to stop/follow between traps or lava).
Free to play and older quests are much easier than paid and newer.
Higher difficulties are supposed to be for people who have knowledge (game is more complex when compared to some MMO or hack and slashes, because it is full of parameters and enemy differences), collected named/crafted gear, extra passive bonuses (past lifes, tomes, reaper tree) or just want challenge.
Just stay in difficulty that fits you best to have fun until you are ready to go higher.
regaurding F2P quests some of them are by far harder then some of the newer quests at level ("proof is in the poison" for example on Reaper 5 the casters will 1 shot even my main in mid tear gear and it has nearly 400 hp) it depends on when the quest was made as well the Shavarath quest line (the ones up in the wildy) were designed to kill you if you made a mistake. so depending on the area F2p content is harder.
----
As a rule of thumb though
  • quest knowledge is a minimum
    • you don't have to memories EVERYTHING just what traps are were{if any} major hazards {insta kill spots. high damage hazards .etc}, and a general Idea of what needs to get done
  • Build limit
    • What can YOUR build handle
      • can it do traps? tank? is it DPS? do you need to shrine often?
      • what difficulty can you handle solo with out a hire? with a hire?
      • can you self heal?
  • Gear
    • does it stack
      • (gear stacking is a matter of addition with the higher number of the same bonus type only being added)
        • 20% electric adsorb enhancement and a 30% electric adsorb enhancement only the 30% enhancement will be taken into the damage reduction
        • 20% electric adsorb enhancement and 30% electric adsorb alchemical will stack but the math will be
          • 20% of total then 30% of new total
            • so 100-20%= 80 then 80-30%=56
        • all gear follows this rule just read the bonus there are several types of bonuses generally all tree bonuses stack just experiment
        • Some gear stacks Rolls in the background but only 1 will activate so some times gear with the same effect MAY activate multiple times in a row more often.
    • does it work with your build?
  • having fun?
    • yes, then keep playing that build style
    • no, then try changing it up try a different class or combat style.
----
that being said as a veteran player on Sarlona with class completionist (gotta do architypes) and no racial and all but a few iconics classes done along with most of the epics to do.... (yes there is a lot) you don't need all the class TR's, racial lives, epic lives, or even the Iconics. sure they make you POWERFUL. but that doesn't mean it was all fun... *old bards couldn't solo very well* now days its just a matter of what flavor do you want this life.

Have fun with it on a first life toon you don't risk losing hundreds-thousands of hours on a character testing if you like the class/build and if the build goes awol and you can't fix it well same thing you can just delete it and start over (sure it sucks but hey better on a first lifer then a character with 3-100+ lives) and if you like the build run it on your main see what you can really do. I've taken test build to hc and usually they do OKAY (most are trash but they work lol)

Point is starting out OP you will fail... and FAIL A LOT the adage of GET GOOD isn't something I say out of being a solo reaper runner with super ego, but as a way to say I've been were you are we all have the only way to know if something works is to try it. most of the guides on the wiki are typed up by veterans like my self who had 1000-40,000+ hours on this game and are just speed lining the important bits you need to know.

Trust me I could drop the wiki on players in its raw form and even some of the veterans still don't know how to run old content (just cause almost no one runs it) my advice is run EVERYTHING find the quests you like and run them, don't like a quest don't run it but UNDERSTAND what has to be done for completion and the general layout.

It will help you grow not only as a player but as a party leader if you know how to run every quest even if its not mastered as long as you know a general grasp you can run hard's and elites. when you get into Reaper thats when you have mastery of a quest.