How2survive?

DrSparkyVial

Hello, my original hardcore character was LEEEEEEROONNAAAAA JENNKINSSS (rest in pieces) and since original's death I've surnamed every character "Jenkins" (Third Jenkins, etc). Now that I may be somewhat identified, why do I keep dying?! I'm already about to have to make the fifth Jenkins! Is it because I do some quests solo? Do I really just need to be in a group at all times on Hardcore? This is driving me insane haha all I want is the golden eye clicky and that should be the easiest of all of them to get, I only need 1750 favor but I always die before level 8

Halp

DilemmaEnder

Thelanis Player
Without seeing your character sheet or playstyle in action, it is hard to give advice of this nature. Too many variables.

But when thinking about how I was going to transition my most comfortable playstyle into something for hardcore I came to a few conclusions:
1) I wanted something that would be able to self heal before level 5.
2) I wanted something that would eventually have some form of passive healing effect. A Heal Over Time.
3) I wanted to be able to swing my weapon as my primary form of attack but to be able to have an AoE attack on call when needed.
4) I wanted something that could buff itself with certain effects so as to not need to worry about looking for gear to fill those needs. (Think Trueseeing, Resist Energy, Deathward, Jump, Etc. I didn't need them all but I wanted to make sure I had some so I could hunt the few I needed later on.)
5) Knowing I wasn't going to do any Trapping myself, I wanted something that could build some PRR/MRR so as to be less susceptible to the threat they posed. (I wanted Medium Armor at least and planned to carry a Large/Tower Shield in my inventory to equip when going through a trap.)

With these things in mind I decided that my best bets were either Cleric or Wizard. Not saying others didn't meet similar criteria. Just that those two were going to meet it best.

I ended up making a Cleric/Paladin.

I figured that I'd be able to group easily enough and since I didn't really want to sit back and monitor health bars I'd better run in first and get the aggro myself. Then I'd only have one healthbar to worry about most of the time.

By the time I'd finished the intro quest I saw a friend had just done so as well. We grouped up and it turned out our goals and play times were compatible. Even our builds/playstyles meshed nicely. We ended up planning our Hardcore run together and just got our 13th Dragon Hoard Piece last night.
(We earned 1750 favor, 11 dragon pieces, and level 21 through solid planning and teamwork. The last 2 pieces we got due to a friend leading us through Sable and Vol. We were on track to get them but prob would have been another week or so. We've been playing safe.)

So I guess my advice is: Play something you are comfortable with and have a plan.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Upvote 1

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
My hc char went to about 24 before I transferred her. I made her a pure mage and I had the expansion pack hirelings.
That said, if you want to solo everything for favor then you probably want to do quests level 1 through three on elite, and make sure you farm gear and hold levels. Always remember to bring a hireling (gold seal rogue if you don't have trapping or froggo). Try to max out your prr and mmr and elemental resistances, it's really time consuming. After level 3 quests, stick with hard or normal settings on quests unless in a group.
Honestly I would suggest having the ability to deal with traps, even if it's one level of rogue and pumping points with other classes. By level 7 quests you'll need about 25 spot/search/disable.
Don't zerg. Zerging will get you killed, take your time and walk through dungeons. Send out hireling to attack before you do when you see mobs ahead so they grab aggro.
If damage is too high, run back and exit and try on a lower setting.
Pretty much any class should be able to solo just fine so long as you're careful - but doing quests on elite with out a trapper is asking to be one hit killed by traps or swamped by mobs.
If you follow the adventure compendium (? I think that's right), you can look up quests by level and go to each one in turn. Always stay two levels above the quest you are doing - farming gear helps to keep you banked two levels so you can always level up once done with a group of quests.
It's a lot of running around and a lot of time.

Upvote 1

Onyxia2016

As @DilemmaEnder said, it is hard to give any specific advice..
If soloing make sure you are at least at the cap of two level over the base level for the dungeon.
Go slow and try to pull mobs from range. Even a fighter or barb can use a crossbow and drop a lot of bodies before they are in melee range. Then switch to melee and finish them off.

Grab a cleric/FVS hireling. Right click on there hot bar portrait and set their AI to not attack, uncheck two check boxes. That way you can set there hot bar to attack (two crossed swords) but they will not run into a pack of mobs instead only use ranged (wands) or spells but still heal you as needed.

Good luck Jenkins the 5th

Upvote 1

vryxnr

General rules of survival:

1: Max con, always.

2: Invest in other defensive stats. Always try to have a good saving throw resistance item. Aim for fortification of enemy CR + 100 (so if your fighting CR 15 enemies, you want at least 115 fortification). PRR and MRR where you can. Blur spell or clicky or item.

3: Avoidance. they can't hurt you if they can't hit you. Whether by staying at range, or by utilizing effective crowd control.

4: Knowledge. This one is actually huge. Players who know the quests well, know their build well, and know the game well, can do amazingly well even on sub-bar builds.

5: Know your limits. It is OK to go slow. It is OK to pull smaller groups of enemies and deal with them in smaller chunks. It is OK to run on a lower difficulty (especially this season if you're not going for leaderboards), and it is OK to skip some quests. There are specific quests that are deadlier than others, contain instakill mechanics, have enemies that are uniquelly devestating... it is OK to skip some/most/all of them.

It is very possible to do well in hardcore solo. There are onyl a few quests that actually require more than one person. A group CAN help cover your own weaknessess though, so grouping does help as well, provided you get in a good group of knowledgeable people who co-operate and want everyone to succeed. Sadly, there are some individuals who do not do this, either by going on auto-pilot and ignoring everyone else as they do their thing (inadvertently getting others killed), and there are an even smaller group of players who seem to actively try to get party members killed (some will even laugh abut it, so yes, they do exist).

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Savage

Phoenicis' Wife
I think this HC season is probably the easiest to get the rewards. Even if you do quests on hard and later normal to avoid those champs, you should have your 1750 by the time you reach lvl 20. The dragonhoardpieces are also fairly easy to get, besides maybe Sinvala and the search and rescue optional. Did epic vol and study in sable at lvl 21 on normal, which was much easier than fighting sinvala. I personally do not like the golden eyes, but the footprints are pretty cool.

Upvote 1

adamkatt

Quest knowledge is a big factor. It helps you avoid a lot and if you are soloing using the right hire can help a lot.

Upvote 0

deuxanes

General rules of survival:

1: Max con, always.

I'd rethink that.

While I wouldn't neglect constitution I wouldn't necessarily max it on a 28 point build. The point buy costs rise. When you distribute points you can at least put 6 points into that stat, which will give you a 14 with most races, 12 with elves or 16 with dwarves or warforged. Another 4 points will raise your constitution by only 2 constitution points. And then it gets more expensive. What do you get for that? At lvl 30 thats just 30 hit points for every 2 points of constituion beyond 10.
In the meantime you get more benefits from some low level ehancemnents and enhancement trees, false life items and vitality on armour or shields. Later on you might get set pieces with set bonuses which increase hit points. Some high level enhancements and destinies will raise your hit points by around 5%-25% respectively.

I can only recommend to not start below 14 or 16 constitution depending on class and race.

There are spells like false life and aid which will give you additional temporary hit points.

2: Invest in other defensive stats. Always try to have a good saving throw resistance item. Aim for fortification of enemy CR + 100 (so if your fighting CR 15 enemies, you want at least 115 fortification). PRR and MRR where you can. Blur spell or clicky or item.

You need to know when blur and diplacement is useful. I'd rather check the opponents first. If they have true sight or similar, then it's a waste of sp.

It might be a bit difficult to get high PRR and MRR depending on class and available gear/ armor. On higher levels and with crafting it might be easier.

The same goes for AC. Certain classes have an advantage (see enhancment trees). With heavy armour you will get lower dodge and vice versa.

Fortification is really helpful.But only protects you from critical hits.

Saves is also not that easy especially if you've dumped the corresponding stat. gear can help, though.

Regarding elemental damage it's useful to renew elemental resists and protections. Especially the latter when it's eaten up. The same goes for stoneskin and similar spells that protect from physical damage.

Depending on class and race choices you will have limited options besides gear.

3: Avoidance. they can't hurt you if they can't hit you. Whether by staying at range, or by utilizing effective crowd control.

Over the years CC spells got nerfed, especially regarding duration and thus usefulness. Now it gives you a rather small window of opportunity to act. With a full party it's enough time. Alone, depends on your build and DPS.

Avoidance is easier said than done.

4: Knowledge. This one is actually huge. Players who know the quests well, know their build well, and know the game well, can do amazingly well even on sub-bar builds.

This will help a lot indeed. On subpar builds it will still be difficult.

5: Know your limits. It is OK to go slow. It is OK to pull smaller groups of enemies and deal with them in smaller chunks. It is OK to run on a lower difficulty (especially this season if you're not going for leaderboards), and it is OK to skip some quests. There are specific quests that are deadlier than others, contain instakill mechanics, have enemies that are uniquelly devestating... it is OK to skip some/most/all of them.

It is very possible to do well in hardcore solo. There are onyl a few quests that actually require more than one person. A group CAN help cover your own weaknessess though, so grouping does help as well, provided you get in a good group of knowledgeable people who co-operate and want everyone to succeed. Sadly, there are some individuals who do not do this, either by going on auto-pilot and ignoring everyone else as they do their thing (inadvertently getting others killed), and there are an even smaller group of players who seem to actively try to get party members killed (some will even laugh abut it, so yes, they do exist).

Upvote 0

PaleFox

To be able to survive on HC.

1) Know every trap location by heart
2) Avoid quests with random floor tile traps, you know the ones that do spell-type damage
3) Avoid quests with portals in them that spawn mobs
4) Know the kill order of mobs, champs first, then casters, melees have to run up to you to get you
5) Have access to ranged damage, sniping something with ranged or spells before they are even aware of your existence is the way to progress forward in a dungeon
6) Con is not a dump stat, neither is AC, PRR, MRR, Dodge and Concealment
7) Saves matter but immunities trump those so much
8) Don't be the succer that is the bait for the Spinner of Shadows, or any end boss that likes to chase you around, strip you of your buffs and spam lands enervation even though you're immune to it.
9) When solo have as much hires around you as possible and place their bodies between the line of sight. It doesn't matter if your gold seal hire is 3 levels below the quest. What matters is that they'll pull agro from you.
10) House P buffs and Guild Ship buffs.
11) Have at least one item with DR/-, stoneskin helps but is not the same.

And at level 8 you should have reached 1750 favor if you have access to all quests and not skipping to much, right?

Upvote 0

Amorais

1750 favour at level 8 would mean you playing a load of quests for 0 exp as your going to be xp maxed most of the time. I got to level 24 and still didnt have 1750 when I croaked.

Upvote 0

Amorais

Also, if your not too familiar with a quest - go back to the regular servers and play it a few times first.

Oh, and avoid beholders.

Upvote 0

C-Dog

Hello, my original hardcore character was LEEEEEEROONNAAAAA JENNKINSSS ... why do I keep dying?! I'm ... I always die before level 8
mostly traps or too many mobs aggroing.
It sounds, at face value, like you're playing like ol' Leroy - rushing in where you don't know the quest, rushing ahead of a trapper, rushing in to too many mobs that you can't handle.

Slow down, aggro (and then kill!) as few enemies at a time as possible, and never rush ahead of the party trapper.*

(* If you're soloing, either A) know where the traps are, or (better) B) be a trapper,or (best) C) both!)
Chicken is no consolation in Hard Core. :cool:

Upvote 0