Iconic Past Life(lives) importance.

Hireling

I was going to knock out a few Iconic lives and was trying to get the "low hanging fruit".
I was mainly wanting to get a few heroic lives out of this as well and I am not looking for really anything special. I don't plan on going to 30 more than once essentially, unless the trip to 30 the first time was a breeze.

Anyway some of the Iconic Past Life feats appear really strong, but actually aren't.

For me, the Tiefling Scoundrel is movement speed,but doesn't stack with my Quiver Alacrity.

The MRR from Sverneblin won't really be helpful because I mainly am playing Robes and Light armor classes, so I hit the MRR cap pretty easy.

This got me thinking. Does double strike ever turn into "triple strike" if you get it over 100?
Similar to how strike through mechanics work. I am thinking it doesn't.

Anyway, any of the Iconic Active or Passive Past Life feats stick out to you guys?
Mainly looking at Scourge for the Double Strike, and PDK for the "Sprint Boost". And SDK for the flicker and Dodge passive.

Oh, I generally play hybrid classes the most.

PersonMan

You have to hit 30 for each Iconic Life you want. (15-30)

PDKs Rallying Cry is quite handy as it can also speed up some NPCs, it used to be even more handy before falconry gave easy access to a sprint boost.

Razorclaw / Scourge when Melee - depends on how your math works out

Deep Gnome if Caster to boost PKs and Greater Color Spray

Maybe ranged will get an Iconic stance in the future.

Vox

For me, 3x Scoundrel is no.1 simply because it saves time.

As soon as Jeets is talking to me I have permanent max runspeed. I don't have to wait for 2 loading screen failed teleports or the bank to lag out.

Bjond

IPLs are definitely one of the most efficient time-to-gain PL'ing efforts.

I will typically combine them with heroic PLs that are similarly useful; eg. Deep Gnome + Warlock x3 for MRR or PDK + PLD or Barb for PRR+Hamp|HP.

These days, for melee, scourge is pretty much mandatory if you want to hit 100 DS without an active buff like VKF's DS+20. If you are short of standing 100 and are forced into buffing for it, other PLs might be more enticing -- it's not too hard to get ~90, which would leave your scourge bonus doing nothing while the buff is running.

Scoundrel is VERY nice if you lack a quiver. If you have a quiver, it's rather a waste of time. It can occasionally be nice at cap, too -- now and then I end up wanting to use a gear set that has no speed on a build that lacks a DPS boost via an active IPL (usually this is a caster build). Scoundrel opens an augment slot for something more useful.

Lyrin

Eberron Scholar
On my main, when a new class/archetype comes out, I run Iconic just for how fast it is.

I have every iconic past life mostly for the passives. The only one I've "outgrown" is Shadar-Kai's dodge. I wear heavy armor, though I used the stance back in the day before Scourge came out.

seph1roth5

I got 3x scoundrel lives even though I was going to nab a quiver (and did!). I have an alt or 2 that need it much more, so it's nice to have a 30% movement speed handy so I don't have to switch characters to grab it. PDK is nice too for rallying cry, although when you use rallying cry, it shuts off scoundrel PL, so there's a time between RC wearing off and the CD running out that life sucks lol.

I normally have SDK up just for oh crap moments.

paddymaxson

In my experience 15-30 is faster than 1-20 so I'd say I prefer it for class past lives. I'd have loved to be able to use them for racials and they count as their base race but alas, my racials are done. Other than that, I could do with doing aasimar scourge but iconics aren't that handy given you can only have the best part of a single one on at a time. I'd say get PDK for convenience and shadar kai for survivability and that's about it.

Kiany

So im guessing the best way to go about collecting past lives is maybe run 1-20 on each class 1x for the completionist feat. Then run all of the iconics. So go, 15 to 30 until those lives are done. (When you tr into an iconic from 30, does your favor reset and your first time bonuses for each quest?)
After that, you want to combine the racials with the epic lives going from 1-30 for first time bonuses?

FVSHasBeenEvenMoreGutted

if you have a quiver (or can wait till 8 for the speed aug) and you like melee, courage should always be first. courage is the best past life unless you are DS capped, and that doesn't happen till 32 so its very good

canicus

So im guessing the best way to go about collecting past lives is maybe run 1-20 on each class 1x for the completionist feat. Then run all of the iconics. So go, 15 to 30 until those lives are done. (When you tr into an iconic from 30, does your favor reset and your first time bonuses for each quest?)
After that, you want to combine the racials with the epic lives going from 1-30 for first time bonuses?
I would go to 30 as often as you can. Epic lives are super valuable and you start to acquire more ED points making you more powerful overall and at 20 in particular. I understand not wanting to get to 30, I don't do it as often as I would like because I find epic leveling frustrating at times. But ELs are worth some effort, even early on

Bjond

That route that will work for someone that loves the heroic cycle, but Epic PLs are more impactful for less effort. I work iconics first myself, usually in a 3x IPL pattern that brings 3x HPLs and 3x EPLs that I also want on that character. I've never done heroic or racial completions.

It can help a fair bit to focus on "speed" PLs rather than "survive" PLs if you know what kind of build you'll be using, too; eg. pick up ranger, monk, doubleshot if using INQ or energy criticals, sorc, & wizard if using a blaster build. Scoundrel if you lack quiver is great for every build.

Whenever the reincarnation takes you below 20, favor & completions completely reset.

Genkiba

After starting to run some IPLs again a while, I tried (once) to run from level 1 again. It is sooooo much nicer to start at 15.... low levels are so annoying.
I'm the opposite...I prefer heroic leveling to epic. I get to 20 and unless I really like the class I TR.

Mokune

I like iconics in general for the ease of multiclassing and gettng right into it when playing a class you know well. Plus, I have solid gear sets from 15 on up so fewer mule toon changes.

I got 3xPDK and 3xDG fairly early on the two toons I play regularly.

On my main (who is 3 x Heroic, Epic & Racial completionist) I am getting all the iconics and archtypes *JUST* to play them.

Currently I only have 3, Tieflng Scoundrel iconic lives left to wrap up all the iconics.

Archetypes left to do... 1 Blightcaster, 1 DH, 2 DL, 3 Stormsinger, 3 AoTS.

I'll do the 3 remaining Tiefling Scoundrel lives multiclassed to get 1 DL, and to of the 2 AoTS.

Then I'll do a pure Blightcaster, pure AoTS, Multi-class DH with some DL and Monk then 3 pure Stormsingers. All races tbd and not necessarily in that order.

We do have another Dragon themed archetype (I am assuming) later this year to consider.

Ying

5000+ hours played
The MRR from Sverneblin won't really be helpful because I mainly am playing Robes and Light armor classes, so I hit the MRR cap pretty easy.

This got me thinking. Does double strike ever turn into "triple strike" if you get it over 100?
Similar to how strike through mechanics work. I am thinking it doesn't.
The majority of melee builds cannot reach 100% doublestrike unless they're using the reaper dstrike action boost. So 25% of the time you don't have capped dstrike, assuming you have enough charges to keep using it between shrines. The Scourge past lives are the first ones melee should get after the Martial Doublestrike past lives.

If you're capping MRR without Deep Gnome past lives while using light armor, you're in a small percentage of players.

The Shadar-Kai past lives for 3% dodge are relevant. I've played many ranged/melee builds where that 3% has made the difference between reaching my Dodge Cap or not.

Br4d

For people hating 30 the simple trick is to grind it out once, accumulating sagas as you go. Then ETR and eat a 50% XP pot and collect all the sagas. Will get you late 23/early 24 easily. Then do the sagas again but collect the XP at the end of each one. Second time to 30 is short and then you can make the decision about ETR/TR or ITR at that point. The second ETR is always a bit painful because all the 1st run bonuses are off the table by then and you ate the sagas on 2nd run to 30.

Purr

Nope. Fastest would be to get class completions is to do iconic because 15 to 30 is faster than 1 to 20. I usually end up with one level of something unhelpful and just try to build around it. Since I'm not planning on end game, it's fine.

Br4d

Nope. Fastest would be to get class completions is to do iconic because 15 to 30 is faster than 1 to 20. I usually end up with one level of something unhelpful and just try to build around it. Since I'm not planning on end game, it's fine.

+1 hearts should be cheap. Every time somebody says that DDO monetizes everything I look at the cost of a +1 heart and think "nope, definitely not monetizing well."

I would buy a +1 heart on many lives if they were 595DPT. I buy 3 on sale at 895DPT when I see them and then my build choices on various lives depend on whether I have one available or not.